Stupid suspensions hitting home

This is a discussion on Stupid suspensions hitting home within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another story about stupid suspensions. but for me this one is personal because it was a school i attended. a little background on our school, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Stupid suspensions hitting home

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar

Another story about stupid suspensions. but for me this one is personal because it was a school i attended. a little background on our school, it is located in the middle of rural farming area. closest big stores (walmart, movie theater, etc) is about 45 minutes away in every direction. the school is surrounded by farms. we had excused absences for opening day of gun season, and could keep our hunting rifles in our cars in the parking lot as long as we informed the school ahead of time. in my gym class we even shot bow and arrow. now i graduated about 10 years ago.

here is the story:

Fifth Grader Suspended for Aiming Imaginary Weapon in Class

Summary:

Basically aimed an imaginary bow and arrow at a friend, the friend responded by pointing a pencil like it was a pistol back at him. the principal suspended both boys for violating the school’s code of conduct, which bans weapons, including any “replica” or “look-alike.” The parents of the boy who did the imaginary bow and arrow are fighting back. the parents of the kid who pointed the pencil are not fighting it.

i feel these things are getting way out of control. i find it really weird that this happened in my old school who used to allow us to make wood guns in shop class, gun gases in home economics, bring it musket replicas for history class, and shoot bow and arrow in gym. heck, we even had gun replicas in our musicals and even real swords (until one of my buddies got his hand sliced open).
    84160 and gatorbait51 like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

That aint all how about a felony conviction for a BB gun

BB gun control: In New Jersey, kids’ rite of passage could mean felony

BB gun control: In New Jersey, kids? rite of passage could mean felony | Fox News
    squid86 and gatorbait51 like this.

Yup. Common sense ain't what it used to be. Nor is enlightened citizenship and people's sense of responsibility to keep such crap bottled up.
    squid86, 84160 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    as an alumnus, write to the local newspaper, the school, and the school board letting your feelings be known.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

It's gun control by attrition. Liberals cannot push gun control by members of our generation so are attempting to plant their ideals in our children's minds.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Do not accept this or it will become the norm! I grew up in CA schools, We repaired guns in shop class, and had a rimfire range in the cafeteria. Now a picture of a gun on a tee shirt will get you suspended.
    Gather the like minded alumli and fill the local paper with letters of support, and then the school board office, and remind them that they did not accept imaginary grades when you were in school, So why are the concerned with imaginary bows and arrows! DR
    oldnfat, CLASS3NH, 84160 and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Lets hope the attorney can reverse this stupidity. The Union protects the educator but maybe there is a law that can hold the principle personally accountable.

I live in the middle of a farm community and this is the height of duck and geese season. Two ranchers walking from one field to another and some flat lander calls the police and reports two men with guns. Go figure how this world is going to stay sane.
    gatorbait51, squid86 and 84160 like this.

VIP Member
    Seems like the Principal and the Superintendent have overactive imaginations of their own.

I think Mr. Whitehead has a job ahead of him, as I doubt that they will come to their senses by Dec. 13.

Heels must be dug in and apologies never issued. Legal expenses to The District must be accumulated, and the community put into an uproar. G-d forbid school tax money be spent on uh, competent teachers.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

This calls for a "replica" or "look alike" law suit or at least something resembling a good and proper and delightful chastisement of the administration at the school board meeting and the PTA.
    gatorbait51, squid86 and 84160 like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lawsuit every time a school does this for a "non-" weapon.
    oldnfat, squid86, Curzyk and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    This calls for a "replica" or "look alike" law suit or at least something resembling a good and proper and delightful chastisement of the administration at the school board meeting and the PTA.
    Nah, sometimes only the real thing will do. No replica suit. The real thing is called for.

From the story: " Horton then suspended both boys for violating the school’s code of conduct, which bans weapons, including any “replica” or “look-alike.”

From the story: " Jon Horton categorized Johnny’s actions as threatening: playfully using his hands to draw the bowstring on an imaginary bow to “shoot” "

Strike 1---- https://www.google.com/#q=definition+of+replica "An exact copy of something, esp. on a smaller scale."

Strike 2--- https://www.google.com/#q=definition+of+look+alike "a person or thing that closely resembles another, esp. someone who looks very similar to a famous person."

Strike 3--- threatening - definition of threatening by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. " To be a source of danger to; menace." "To indicate danger or harm."

"Threatening" and "playful" are mutually exclusive.

Those school folks have three strikes against them and need to be made to sit down, shut up, and study a dictionary, so they can comprehend their own policy. Yeeeyuch!!! What they deserve---
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Zero Tolerance = Zero Brains = Lazy Managers = Lazy Administrators
    Doghandler, squid86 and 84160 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I agree. The only way to stop the madness is to sue the principals, and the school board for some really big numbers. I hope they win a bazillion dollars and the outcome makes all the national news. There are lawyers who would do anything to represent the parents when this kind of award is possible. Sic 'um !
    squid86 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

our shop teacher in high school used to sight in his deer rifle across the soccer field during school hours.

"a+b-x (KABOOM!!!!!!).......now as I was saying class".......
    technomonster and squid86 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links