Hunter Shoots and Kills Dog - Your Opinion

This is a discussion on Hunter Shoots and Kills Dog - Your Opinion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a story about a Hunter who shot and killed a Malamute dog thinking it was a wolf. I am the owner of a ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Hunter Shoots and Kills Dog - Your Opinion

VIP Member

Here is a story about a Hunter who shot and killed a Malamute dog thinking it was a wolf.

I am the owner of a large malamute. The breed is acknowledged as being closer to the wolf than any other breed of dog. In appearance, they are sometimes confused with the Siberian Huskie. Malamutes are on average about 1/3 larger than huskies and have brown eyes. The huskie has blue or green eyes. Malamutes have an even temperament so one or two are usually teamed with Huskie dog sled teams as they tend to calm the huskies.

In Missouri, it is illegal to shot a dog while hunting for any reason. Dogs are considered personal property.

In this tragic accidental shooting do you feel that the hunter is liable for civil damages?

Here is the Story: Pet dog killed by Missoula hunter | KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

Here is an Update: Montana sheriff's office: Hunter who shot dog did not commit crime

My opinion is that the hunter needs to stop hunting or get glasses. The Sheriff should receive the A-hole of the year award.

What's Your Opinion?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Well, pretend that the guy did not commit a crime. That does not preclude a civil suit.

If the dogs owner brought in pictures of "Fluffy", playing with the kids, and everyone in the family said he was a member of the family, etc, that is tough to overcome.
    farsidefan1 and tcox4freedom like this.

VIP Member
    The dog was wearing a collar, lit up with working lights to identify it.

When I think of the extremes that I go to, making sure whether I'm shooting at a doe or a buck, there is no doubt in my mind what is in my cross hairs when I pull the trigger.

That hunter was trigger-happy. No excuses.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    A lot of hunters are trigger happy, just wanting to kill something. There is a difference between hunting and killing. You hunt for food, you kill to satisfy some sick need you have to be dominant over something. Accident or no, if it were my dog, he wouldn't be safe living in the same state as me.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    In Missouri, it is illegal to shot a dog while hunting for any reason.
    not even in self defense?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

No excuses.
    What if and what if......a wolf had just taken out one of Santas Reindeer and had the lights from sleigh wrapped around its neck what then?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

In Missouri, it is illegal to shot a dog while hunting for any reason. Dogs are considered personal property.

In this tragic accidental shooting do you feel that the hunter is liable for civil damages?
    If in justifiable belief of death or serious injury, I'd have a hard time calling defending against that criminal in any way, shape or form ... no matter what the statute technically says. I'd be willing to bet that the law related to pets was never intended and doesn't exist expressly for criminalizing defense of human life against legitimate, impending threats.

What, just because I happen to be in a spot for purposes of bagging a deer, stopping a wolf is okay but another wolf-like animal committing the same thing makes one a criminal for stopping it?

That said, you never know what civil lawsuit crap could be allowed, in a state that doesn't bar such things in cases where criminality hasn't been "proven" by a conviction. Which is why we have SYG stuff in many states, specifically to back legitimate defense wherever people are, and it shouldn't matter whether the threat is two-legged or four-. JMHO.
    SIGP250 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

Sure looks like he violated this firearm safety rule.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Betty and 2 others like this.

It's a sad accident. I'm not sure what you think the sheriff did wrong? I can say this, it sounds from the report that the hunter at least admitted his mistake and offered to help after the fact. That doesn't fix the problem, but it also doesn't show someone who was running around shooting household pets wantonly. Certainly in the elements wet from snow, the dog and wolf look enough alike that a mistake could be made.

alaskan-malamute.jpgwolf.jpg

As a dog owner, I feel bad for the man who lost his dog. As a hunter, I feel bad for the hunter who made a mistake. Not an easy situation.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

Sad deal all of the way around. I keep my GSD, with a tawny coat, wrapped in Blaze Orange or Blaze Green bandanas most of the year. A cheap type of insurance.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-BLAZE-O.../dp/B00136NDBS

Easy to find with Google or sporting goods stores.
    OD*, WHEC724, d2jlking and 4 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Sad deal all of the way around. I keep my GSD, with a tawny coat, wrapped in Blaze Orange or Blaze Green bandanas most of the year.
    That's darn good thinking!
    fredg53 and SIGP250 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

When I think of the extremes that I go to, making sure whether I'm shooting at a doe or a buck, there is no doubt in my mind what is in my cross hairs when I pull the trigger.

That hunter was trigger-happy. No excuses.
    To me the issue would be that he shot the "wolf" with another human reportedly only about 20 yards away. That's scary. I'm not buying the "lit up collar". Malamutes have very long coats, the dog was running, it was daytime...too many variables for those lights to be the effective identification the owner would have hoped for.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Sad deal all of the way around. I keep my GSD, with a tawny coat, wrapped in Blaze Orange or Blaze Green bandanas most of the year. A cheap type of insurance.

Here: Amazon.com: BLAZE ORANGE SOLID BANDANA: Clothing
    would have stopped this situation, cold. Nice.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    There are a lot of variables here, however it's pretty safe to say that the hunter wasn't just shooting at anything that moved. A malamute does resemble a wolf. A moving malamute is going to look that much more like one, because you aren't just staring at a picture looking for differences. Some tiny collar is going to be next to useless on a dog that hairy.

Given what the article said, I'd say the hunter definitely made some mistakes; so did the dog owner. If you take an animal that even just slightly resembles an animal that is in hunting season, and you are allowing that animal to run free, you can't be totally without some personal liability.

The other situational considerations would be the leash requirements for the area. Based on a whole two minutes of digging on the internet I found that in the park mentioned, leashes are a requirement. It sounds like the incident happened near the park, as opposed to in the park, so I don't know if the dogs legally should have been leashed or not.

Bottom line, IMO, is if you value your pets, it starts with your actions to keep them safe.

With regards to this:

This is simply not accurate. There are plenty of times when it's not illegal to shoot dogs. If the dog is on your property and it's not your dog, for instance. In this case, if the dog is truly mistaken for a game animal, I doubt you'd see any state charges since on our Conservation land there are leash laws and regulations that cover hunting animals.
    PAcanis, d2jlking and atctimmy like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    A Malamute might look like a wolf to someone who's looking for a wolf. The tail is entirely different, and they move differently.

I bet this guy shoots a lot of does and bucks out of season as well. They all look alike, ya know.
    OD*, wmhawth and scgunlover1 like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links