American Rifleman article on ammo shortage

This is a discussion on American Rifleman article on ammo shortage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The January 2014 issues has an article on the ammo shortage. No surprise we're to blame. Reading between the lines you will see that guns ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: American Rifleman article on ammo shortage

VIP Member

American Rifleman article on ammo shortage

The January 2014 issues has an article on the ammo shortage. No surprise we're to blame. Reading between the lines you will see that guns are growing in popularity.

Sorry tin foil hatters...
    Echo_Four and gatorbait51 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=PEF;3020501]The January 2014 issues has an article on the ammo shortage. No surprise we're to blame. QUOTE]

There is no me in that we.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

We have an anti gun president who wants to ban guns, AND says that he can take executive action, (against guns & ammo), should congress not pass exactly what he wants. We have had virtually nothing but shortages on guns & ammo since he got in office, but its OUR fault?!?

I aint buying it.

Yup....there's no doubt the shortage is barry induced.

Of course we're one shooting or one BHO speech away from nothing being on the shelf again. Every one of us knows that...pretty good reason to pick up a box or 3 every time we go out.

I started buying reloading components here lately, you never know what he's plotting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
    Yup....there's no doubt the shortage is barry induced.

Of course we're one shooting or one BHO speech away from nothing being on the shelf again. Every one of us knows that...pretty good reason to pick up a box or 3 every time we go out.

I started buying reloading components here lately, you never know what he's plotting.
    Agree. Im also getting very worried about the "lead issue". It seems a back door way to drive up prices of ammo, and perhaps trying to get rid of the stores we have on hand. Not to mention that its inferior ammo.
    gatorbait51 and Pukindog12 like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Agree. Im also getting very worried about the "lead issue". It seems a back door way to drive up prices of ammo, and perhaps trying to get rid of the stores we have on hand. Not to mention that its inferior ammo.
    There is no "lead issue", there is no shortage, there is not going to be a shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The January 2014 issues has an article on the ammo shortage. No surprise we're to blame.
    "We" how? Got details? What's the claim?

Supply and demand works wonders, for understanding things. New shooters, gun-grabbers prompting rising purchases, some hoarders, some who got behind the curve on inventory and are replenishing, several years of wars ... all impacting availability and price to a degree.
    gatorbait51 and Tangle like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    "We" how? Got details? What's the claim?

Supply and demand works wonders, for understanding things. New shooters, gun-grabbers prompting rising purchases, some hoarders, some who got behind the curve on inventory and are replenishing, several years of wars ... all impacting availability and price to a degree.
    And you forget one little thing. As long as there is a high demand for ammo the prices can increase and people will still pay them, so the companies have little incentive to flood the market and get demand down. Why sale it for x when you can sell a little less for x + 25%.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    There is no "lead issue", there is no shortage, there is not going to be a shortage.
    I agree. And I did not speak of a "shortage".

Im talking about the push for lead free ammo. Its been done once, re waterfowl ammo. We ended up with inferior ammo at double or triple the price.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I agree. And I did not speak of a "shortage".

Im talking about the push for lead free ammo. Its been done once, re waterfowl ammo. We ended up with inferior ammo at double or triple the price.
    There can never be lead free ammo because of the primer, and as of today no one has come up with a substance that works nearly as well as lead or is as cheap.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

And you forget one little thing. As long as there is a high demand for ammo the prices can increase and people will still pay them, so the companies have little incentive to flood the market and get demand down. Why sale it for x when you can sell a little less for x + 25%.
    Not forgetting anything. Am just pointing out the claims in the article haven't been presented. Was just asking what those claims were.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There can never be lead free ammo because of the primer, and as of today no one has come up with a substance that works nearly as well as lead or is as cheap.
    There are plenty of ways to make a lead-free primer. Many manufacturers already use them in some or all of their ammo. I know that Tula, Wolf, Fiocchi, PMC and Winchester do. It's my understanding that the M855A1 currently issued to the U.S. military uses a lead-free primer, though I don't know this for sure.

...And when some Government doofus is proposing a new restriction on guns (or ammo, or anything else), the last thing they're concerned about is whether the substitute will work as well or be cost-effective.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I read the whole article. It dances around the obvious...we have an ammo shortage because of panic buying induced by idiot Democrats in power who attempted to dance on the graves of dead children in order to destroy our freedoms. Ammo was easy to find in person and online before Newtown. It became difficult after Obama got elected the first time because his platform involved greater gun controls and his worthless "we just want to make a few gun-related changes..." AG. We saw it again with the 2012 tragedy. The shortage is government-induced, and until we have a government that actually has even a modicum of respect for our property rights this is going to be an ongoing issue.

It seems to me that the number of gun owners has almost doubled in the last few years, I think that has a lot to do with a so called shortage
    But we all have been hoarding a little, with out knowing it. I know every time I find ammo that is useful to me ,I buy what I can weather I need it
    or not.On top of all this ammo producers have not been able to keep up with demand .
    Locally the supply seems to have come back to the shelves, with the exception of rim fire ammo.

...............................Jack
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    There are plenty of ways to make a lead-free primer. Many manufacturers already use them in some or all of their ammo. I know that Tula, Wolf, Fiocchi, PMC and Winchester do. It's my understanding that the M855A1 currently issued to the U.S. military uses a lead-free primer, though I don't know this for sure.

...And when some Government doofus is proposing a new restriction on guns (or ammo, or anything else), the last thing they're concerned about is whether the substitute will work as well or be cost-effective.
    1) the primer isn't the issue - the push for lead free bullets is because of long lived scavenger birds eating the lead either directly from animals/parts left in the field or birds using lead in their gizzard.

2) lead isn't the only heavy metal used in primers that becomes airborne when a cartridge is fired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links