Flying into hell...AKA our Nation's Capitol

This is a discussion on Flying into hell...AKA our Nation's Capitol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm flying through Raegon National Airport to head to Northern VA for christmas vacation...and I want to bring my weapon. I understand that my permit ...

Thread: Flying into hell...AKA our Nation's Capitol

I'm flying through Raegon National Airport to head to Northern VA for christmas vacation...and I want to bring my weapon. I understand that my permit in WA is recognized in VA, but I'm extremely uneasy about flying through DC. Is it legal to do so? I've never flown with my firearm, and flying into DC makes me all the more nervous. I'd appreciate any feed back from those who have flown, and especially into DC.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I will be doing exactly the same thing and I'm curious about this as well. I may be doing this with numerous weapons, as well.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

DCA (Regan) is still in Alexandria... even Dulles is out in Virginia so don't worry about it from that aspect. Don't hop in your cab and get into d.c. though, then it's trouble. Also, check with your specific airline carrier for the proper procedure on how to get your firearm from WA to VA. Oh, and welcome to my (new since July) home city!

Assistant Administrator
    I flew out of Regan last April with gun in checked baggage - no sweat.

Indeed glad to say neither airport is actually DC - thankful for small mercies.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
    Also, check with your specific airline carrier for the proper procedure on how to get your firearm from WA to VA.

Yeah, I've already done that, just gotta lock the weapon up, and keep ammo separate in the original packaging or in a case for ammo. Not too bad, but what I'm concerned about is flying into Regan. I haven't flown into there for so long, and never payed attention to the zoning laws...you know how it is, everything from the Pentagon up is DC!

Man, that's great news. Now to avoid DC on the way down south (Stafford), and I should be good. Thanks for the great news!

I flew from Florida to Kentucky (via Reagan) a couple of days ago. I had no problems checking my weapon in Florida and everything went fine. (I didn't have to check it at Reagan of course).

One thing looked odd though. I had about 3.5 hours there before my next plane. My wife thought we might walk through the 3 or 4 other concourses to see what was available to eat. It APPEARED that you had to go through security EVERYTIME you entered a different concourse. Usually once you get past the checkpoint you can get to all flights (and concourses) without going through security again.

I have flown many times with a firearm and have never had a problem. The only unusual thing was a guy in the check-in counter in New Orleans that would not listen to me. - TSA straightened him out. No harm done.

You can check your firearm and fly through D.C., IL, or any other restrictive state. You will only have issues if you take possesion of your firearm in those states. However, make sure you know the law on both ends of your itinerary.

Here is my standard response to these questions. Why not make CCW nation wide. DC, no weapons allowed and no CCW, but has highest murder rate. Duh.....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Flying through DCA (Reagan) or IAD (DUlles) with a weapon is a piece of cake, you're still in VA and they still honor the Constitution. BWI is another matter, don't fly through there as its in the PRMD.

John, DCA is an older setup, designed before modern security was implemented. As a result, you do have to exit the secure/sterile areas of DCA and reenter security every time you change concourses. That's why most airlines use IAD for a hub and transfer point.
    "Don't get stuck on stupid!" -Gen. Honore in NOLA

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

Lead Moderator
    Both National and Dulles are in Virginia, and no problem. Even BWI isn't a problem as long as the gun is in your suitcase. You just don't want to drive through DC to get from MD to VA (Use the beltway and go around).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Just to be clear--there are NO AIRPORTS in Washington D.C.....Dulles IAP and Washington-National IAP are in the free state (Commonwealth) of VIRGINIA....just follow TSA and airline rules in securing/transporting your firearms and you are good to go.

Note: When departing Washington-National--be sure you go SOUTH and WEST...and do not cross the Potomac River--then you will be in the criminal empowerment zone of D.C.

Links