Shooting Buddy Gave Me A Gun

This is a discussion on Shooting Buddy Gave Me A Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A co-worker that I've been taking to the range (and in the last 2 years has gone from having a couple guns buried in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Shooting Buddy Gave Me A Gun

A co-worker that I've been taking to the range (and in the last 2 years has gone from having a couple guns buried in the closet to having 2 safes full of them thanks to my influence) gave me a pistol today. He said it was his Dad's, and that he took it to the range and couldn't get it to do anything but jam after the 1st shot. He told me last week I could have it and I figured it would be something pretty rough.

So, today, he tells me he has it in his car and just call him when we can go out and get it. I called him this afternoon and I was quite pleasantly surprised.

It's an ERMA KGP68 .380 "Mini Luger". The surprising part is it is still in the original box, with owners manual, both sets of original grips, 3 magazines, and is in 99.9% condition. It's only been shot a couple of times. He said I could have it and he hoped I could get it to work. Upon cycling the slide a couple of times, it's so stiff I could barely get it back far enough to lock open. No wonder it was jamming. After doing some research, I'm going to take it down and see if I can figure out what's going on with the stiff action.

I was surprised he just gave it to me, especially since it belonged to his Dad. But I guess since he couldn't get it to function it was just wasting valuable room in his safe. Hey, I'll check it out and mess with it a while. It's pretty cool even if it isn't something I would trust to carry. Besides, I found links of them selling this year for $400 - $750 bucks (see link below). Mine is in as good or better shape than the one in the link and I also have the box, manual, grips, etc.

Erma Model KGB68A Semi-Automatic Pistol

I'll post some pics of mine at some point, but it looks just like the one above (box and all).

OK, disassembled, reassembled, and took some pics. This gun looks brand new inside and out. I'm going to leave the action opened up for a while to see if the recoil spring will loosen up a bit. Range report coming in a few weeks.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BugDude; December 17th, 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added pics
    squid86, WHEC724 and bigmacque like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    The first pistol I ever owned was this one, in a .22lr. It was indeed a jamomatic. The safety mechanism failed early on.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Good buddy to have, I vaguely remember the name ERMA, actually had forgotten about them.

We still have a Stoeger Luger .22, I think we bought it in the late 60's or early 70's. Ours has been a good shooter, and fun to shoot with a nice crisp trigger.

Give us a report once you get the ERMA running good.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

No advice to offer on the Erma Luger, although I do recall their dubious reputation for being jamomatics in the day. Probably just needs some TLC in the right places to turn it into a fun shooter.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I had an ERMA Luger many years ago in 22LR also, the only ammo that was reliable was CCI Mini-Mags due to the stiff action. I am not sure but I think European .380 ammo may be loaded a bit hotter than ours and that may be what you need.
    OD* likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Probably needs a good lube and some breaking in, but I'd guess it would be more valuable to someone with the memories to go along with it.

No doubt, many folks had it as their first firearm and would love to have one again. Some guns are better keepsakes than real range performers.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    A real friend would have given you bullet!

just kidding of course, looks GREAT!
    Yetiman likes this.

That's a neat looking pistol; I hope you can get it working properly.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Look for European spec ammo. Its just a little faster than the American ammo. Just enough faster to make these work! I have a friend with one. He can only shoot S&B, or Fiocchi ammo. You will probably never trust it as a carry gun, But as a range toy, they are attn. getters! DR
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Look for European spec ammo. Its just a little faster than the American ammo. Just enough faster to make these work! I have a friend with one. He can only shoot S&B, or Fiocchi ammo. You will probably never trust it as a carry gun, But as a range toy, they are attn. getters! DR
    I wonder if 380 +P would do the trick?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Nice acquisition. Hopefully the higher power loads will make it operate properly, but even if it doesn't, it's a nice range/conversation piece.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I wonder if 380 +P would do the trick?
    Let's not go there!

There is no such thing as a legitimate .380 +P. Using a .380 that someone claims to be a +P in ANY gun is unwise.

The little Erma Luger was never noted as being exactly a masterpiece in terms of either engineering, materials, or construction. A very cool little novelty, but a Sig it's not! The LAST thing you'd want to do is use ammo of unknown and unspecified pressure in a gun of questionable integrity.

EDIT TO ADD:

No intent to slam the gun! VERY nice of your friend to let you have it!

I looked real hard at getting one of those when they were in the stores, and one of my friends did get one. It was a really neat little range toy, and I'd still like to have one, if they weren't so high on the used market. ...But I wouldn't count on it for a SD gun, and I sure wouldn't run overpressure ammo in it!
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; December 18th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    wow, good friend you got there. hope you get it working. and i personally wouldnt try +p in that. i like the idea someone mentioned about european loads
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I also kept a Stoeger .22 Luger for a friend who told me to use it. It worked fine and I wish I had made him an offer for it. Clean it, lube it, look for any parts that may be binding. Other than that, I do exactly what you're doing, lock it open and hope the spring loosens up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Fully strip, clean & degrease EVERYTHING, reassemble bone dry. Run 100-150 rounds doing whatever necessary to avoid quitting out of "function frustration". Don't fret, tweak or experiment during the process. Just burn ammo. Afterward, strip, clean & lube ONLY lightly at the points indicated by the manual. There's a chance that the gun has never been run hard & long enough to de-burr & wear-in. IMHO, more "bad" guns are abandoned from impatience than are ever abandoned from OVER wear. Let us know how things turn out.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links