Doc gave me a lecture about guns

This is a discussion on Doc gave me a lecture about guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I went in for my yearly physical Monday and had blood work done and all the typical tests etc. All went well and doc ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree355Likes

Thread: Doc gave me a lecture about guns

Doc gave me a lecture about guns

So I went in for my yearly physical Monday and had blood work done and all the typical tests etc. All went well and doc was happy with my general health and that I have dropped 30 lbs since seeing him last. While in the waiting room I had to fill out the regular questionnaire about diet, exercise, smoking, drinking, etc.... I try to answer these as truthfully as possible as not doing so may delay a disease diagnosis down the road. The last question was something to the effect of "do you own guns or are there guns present in your home?" and had not been on the questionnaire in previous years. After pondering for a moment as to the validity of this question I went ahead and checked yes since the question was right after questions about lead paint and other dangerous chemicals in the home (thinking lead bullets, gun cleaning solvents etc).

Today the doc called me back with the results of my blood work and after threatening to put me on cholesterol meds if I didn't get it down he started into a lecture about how guns in a home cause xyz number of injuries/deaths per year blah blah blah. I quit paying attention to him when I realized the purpose of the lecture. At the end of the lecture I politely told him I appreciated his concern but I would take my chances and continue to own guns. He wants me back in 3 months to check my cholesterol again. I call BS on his stats and would love some stats to throw back if he brings it up again in 3 months. Tried for several hours this afternoon and this evening but can't find anything on the web that goes either way, any suggestions?

I really like this doc as he is very competent and thorough and am not going to drop him over this especially with the 0bamacare nightmare looming in the near future but I would love to pull him away from the dark-side. Perhaps I will just take this as a lesson learned and answer "no" on these questionnaires in the future.
    gatorbait51 and tony1990 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I see no reason to bring my doctor into the loop on that subject.

VIP Member
    You realize that very soon - if not already - every spec of information about you is going to be entered in the massive national data base? This is not a rumor. Nor is it an Urban Legend. It is a fact. Does that help you decide whether to answer questions like that?
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My doc and I talk about guns on every office visit. Guns and hunting. Oh yes, and how sorry our government has become.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

To each their own,but i wouldn't ever answer any questions about whether i have guns or not.That is personal and none of anyone's business.

Senior Moderator
    Any Doctor that dares to lecture me about the dangers of gun ownership will be fired on the spot for incompetence.

You are there to talk about health, not guns and his opinions of them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Id tell him to mind his own business. Im not going to ask my plumber his opinion on how to fix my cars transmission, nor will I ask my electrician how to fix a leaking swimming pool... And I definitely dont want to know my doctor's opinion on firearms.

My only run-in with firearms and healthcare was at a chiropractor's office. He was adjusting me, and instead of taking my entire holster off before talking in, I just took the gun out and left it in my vehicle. It was a hybrid style IWB holster, and he had no real reason to see anything under my shirt so I figured no big deal. Well my shirt rode up and he was the top of the holster. We had a pretty good chat about shooting, what types of guns we own, and how much fun shooting is. Real cool guy. Best part, after 2-3 visits, he actually helped my back aches I was having.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Time to find a different Dr! BTW, several Docs that I know are actually very pro-gun!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Medical incompetence is exponentially more likely than gunfire to kill the average American.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

That is a question that has nothing to do with a physical -- My general health is up to my doctor but my safety is up to me.

I would take this opportunity to give your doctor some advise on why he should keep guns in his house, and tell him the probable consequences of not doing so. Probably worst than high cholesterol levels. My dentist asked me for advise in this matter because she is concerned about crime but is afraid of guns. I gave her my opinion and my advise" get a gun and take classes, and she is getting the gun.So tell your doctor to take the healthy choice.
    gatorbait51 and CDW4ME like this.

Where do you draw the line?

Do you own guns?
    Who did you vote for?
    What is your religion?
    Are you a veteran?

It's all just to "help" make sure you are healthy.

Thats when its nice to go to the VA, just went today eye exam an new glasses. They treat me better than any DR office I have ever been in.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I agree none of their business. Though I do know a doc through a professional relationship who can get anything I want up to 50 cal at very low prices, he's just not my doc.
    gatorbait51 and tony1990 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dougroch View Post
    ... The last question was something to the effect of "do you own guns or are there guns present in your home?" and had not been on the questionnaire in previous years. After pondering for a moment as to the validity of this question I went ahead and checked yes..... he started into a lecture about how guns in a home cause xyz number of injuries/deaths per year blah blah...
    I really like this doc as he is very competent and thorough and am not going to drop him over this...
    It's hard to believe anyone would offer an answer to such a question.
    It is even harder to believe a 'good citizen' would ever see him again. Who supports a Commie doctor?
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links