alternative to 22lr

This is a discussion on alternative to 22lr within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past summer after years of fighting and bickering my ex-wife gave me the OK to teach our now 10 year old daughter about guns. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: alternative to 22lr

alternative to 22lr

This past summer after years of fighting and bickering my ex-wife gave me the OK to teach our now 10 year old daughter about guns. After months of going over gun safety etc and teaching her basic marksmanship with a BB gun in the backyard its time to move things to the range and upgrade her to a powder fired rifle. My original intent was to buy her a inexpensive .22lr semi-auto rifle and build up from there. With the scarcity of .22 ammo now I can't rationalize spending $$ on such a rifle that I cannot find ammo for. The last time I saw 22 ammo for sale was at a gun show this fall and they wanted 10 times what it would have sold for a year ago. The only other idea I can come up with is to mod my AR to 9mm for her. Any other ideas on a gun/caliber I could go with? Requirements: low recoil, long gun only (no pistols for her at this point), $200 is the most I want to spend on a gun (most beginner .22's sell here for about $150).

2. Remove Ads

How about an air gun? Some are almost as powerful as a .22. Not sure on the cost though.

Another option might be a lever gun (even used) in .357 Mag...loaded with low powered .38 Spl target loads. Recoil should be fairly mild. You can load them singly for safety.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If you reload, you could get a Mosin for around $130 and load some very, very light loads that should have next to no recoil.
    StormRhydr and Sky Pilot like this.

Here is CCI Mini Max 22lr at $0.09/rd (today) Find 22lr Ammo in stock | WikiArms - Live Ammo Inventory Tracking

I usually get a couple bricks at a time & never fall below 5k.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Won't quite stay under your $200 limit, but a Marlin .17 HMR can be had for a little more (<$250). I don't have one, but around here, .17 HMR ammo is a lot easier to find than .22.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Aside from ammo, I recommend a bolt-action vs. a semi-auto for a first rifle. It ingrains how the gun functions and keeps things slow and deliberate.

you're going to be hard pressed to find what you're looking for. imo, get the $150 plain jane 10/22 and a couple boxes of 50 rounds off wikiarms.com for <$5 a box. every month buy a couple more. i doubt she'll go through a couple boxes in a month unless you're consistently going to the range.

the first long gun i learned on was a single-barrel .410. i still have it and you can pick them up for $200 or less. i was about her age.
    Noise is relative to the silence preceding it. The more absolute the hush, the more shocking the thunderclap. Our masters have not heard the peoples voice for generations, and it is much, much louder than they care to remember.

You can find 22 ammo. It's hard to find, but you can find it. I think it will get better.

I stay away from semi auto for new shooter.

If I was dead set against a 22 I would probably go with a HR Handi Rifle in 357 and shoot 38s in it. If you hand load the ammo cost isn't bad.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Are your stores still out of 22? Our stores in Dallas will sell 2 boxes per visit. An Academy opened down the street so I bought all I needed.

I own and recommend the IZH 61 pellet gun, a 5 shot repeater. Amazon will send you one. I also love the .17 hmr, but it is over your budget new. .17 ammo was available for weeks after .22 vanished from the shelves. It is double the price of .22, but still half as much as center fire. You can hunt small game with the .17 and some will use it for hogs and yotes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    You can find 22 ammo. It's hard to find, but you can find it. I think it will get better.

I stay away from semi auto for new shooter.

If I was dead set against a 22 I would probably go with a HR Handi Rifle in 357 and shoot 38s in it. If you hand load the ammo cost isn't bad.
    I agree. IRT .22LR, I've been patient with back-orders and have 1400 rnd buckets that randomly show up at about 3 cents a round. On three occasions this year, I've come across bricks at pre-panic prices. It's not abundant, but with some due diligence, it's still the most affordable way to shoot.

Administrator
    Search Gunbroker.com for .22 LR Brick and look for the BUY NOW icon - there are usually some halfway decent prices where sellers are not scalping buyers too bad.

I have not looked in a while but, fairly recently there were some OK prices considering the present environment.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Get a air gun or one of the kiddie trainer single shot 22 ie the chipmonk/rascle etc cheep guns and single shot. Yeah 22 is hard to find but you can find it esp if you dont need some fancy HV stuff for semi auto .

Also many 22 bolt guns will fired long short or most any other 22 out there so there is that ..

Becuase at this point most other ammo is the same price or more then 22 and you still get more with 22 and if using a bolt gun no wor..

Just dont do what I did and get a ps-90 as your first rilfle sure no recoile but ammo is not the cheepested thing .. 5.7 is a great one though with no recoil but pricy

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Air gun is not a horrible option but most are single shot that I'm aware. I would say that even the heavier pellets are not going to have anything like a 22, not even a .22 CB cap. I've not been in the AR field for several years, though. I know there are 1000 fps single stroke types. I don't think you'd want to go to the pneumatic type (tank fill).

CB caps
    29 gr (2 g) RN 727 ft/s (222 m/s) 33 ft·lbf (45 J)
    30 gr (2 g) RN 725 ft/s (221 m/s) 34 ft·lbf (46 J)

Air Rifle - typically 15.4 Joules to 33 J for a 1200 fps round.
    For an 11 gr pellet, 1200 fps (which usually drops due to weigh to 800) it's going to be about 21 J.
    Airgun formulas and other neat stuff, how to calculate foot-pounds and velocity
    Pellet Weight Chart

FWIW

This is a whole new category: Benjamin ePCP Rogue .357 caliber air rifle
    At $1200 you might as well get a rifle.

Never thought of the option someone posted... A .357 mag rifle loaded with some real light .38s sounds like a good route as well.

I would vote for the 17hmr, but the cost is more than the 22lr. But the round is a real soft shooter and very accurate.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links