Received my FFL today

Received my FFL today

This is a discussion on Received my FFL today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a process that might have set a new Federal Government speed record I received my FFL in the mail today. What's so unusual about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Thumbs up Received my FFL today

In a process that might have set a new Federal Government speed record I received my FFL in the mail today. What's so unusual about that, you ask? Well, I had the interview with the investigator last Wednesday, Dec. 6 and received the license today, Wednesday, Dec. 13. The license was actually mailed on Monday, Dec. 11. The investigator was still at my house at 12:15 PM on 12/6 and after he left he still had to write his report. Oh, yeah, his office is 75 miles from my home.

Actually the whole process took an unusually short time. I sent my application out on October 1. The ATF processed the credit card charge for the app on 10/5. I got a voicemail from the investigator on 12/1. I called him on 12/4 and we arranged for the interview to be on 12/6. From mailing the app to receiving the license was 74 days including the one on which it was mailed and the one on which it was received. My Utah non-resident CCW took almost as long.

Now our little town has its own FFL. For over 10 years if anyone ordered a gun and had it shipped to an FFL they had to drive 30 miles to pick it up. The trip there and back plus time to do the paperwork and you have spent an hour and a half. With gas over $2 per gallon you have spent close to $4 and then you have to pay for the transfer. I figure that the good citizens of our county can save an hour of time and several dollars in gas now that they can pick up their gun locally. I don't figure I'll make a lot of money, but I'm sure I have a lot of fun and meet some new people with interests similar to mine.

Even the Chief of Police encouraged me to get the FFL since his officers have to go the same 30 miles for any non-duty weapons. I expect he will be one of my first customers. Since this is a side-line for me I will not be a stocking dealer, but have already made some contacts that will enable me to order guns for customers.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Congrats and boy that was quick

Congratulations!

That was quick! Sounds like your FFL will be asset to the community.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Lead Moderator
    Congrats.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

could you go into detail on the investagation/ questions you were asked when the inspector got there?

What are you using for storage? Did you get a nice big safe or ? what they are looking for? If you have some homarks bolted to the wall/floor will that do, is there any specific requirements for the storage?

Is this from your home or did you get a "store front"?

Did they search your home or just meet you in the living room/office (if it was store front)?

Did you have to show permits, business license, zoning laws (if home front) at the time of the interview?

Just curious.

Wayne

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    could you go into detail on the investagation/ questions you were asked when the inspector got there?
    There were not too many real questions. From what I gathered from the investigator and other FFLs is that you are pretty much in if you get the interview. Most of the questions were general except one in particular that I wasn't prepared for. He asked who I was going to buy from. Since I didn't have an FFL I really hadn't spent much time thinking about it. I had done a search online and had a bookmark to a page on gunnersden.com that had a list of distributors, so I just picked one. He had to put the answer down on the form, but said it didn't matter if I ever bought from the one listed or not. Most of the time was spent giving me instructions and going over a check list of regulations.

What are you using for storage? Did you get a nice big safe or ? what they are looking for? If you have some homarks bolted to the wall/floor will that do, is there any specific requirements for the storage?
    There is no real storage requirement if you are not a stocking dealer. At the present time I don't even have a gun safe. I will have one right after the first of the year and it won't be huge. It will be the Winchester (made by Granite) that Sam's sells. The fact that I had deadbolt door locks and three dogs seemed to be all he needed to know about that. There is the necessity to provide a lock with every gun sold. He asked if I had locks to provide and I showed him 6 that I had picked up at the Sheriff's office. The line on the check list that is related to this is "Secure Gun Storage or Safety Device."

Is this from your home or did you get a "store front"?
    This is in my home. If I were in a reasonable sized city I might do a store front, but our county has a population of less than 12,000. By the way, let me add that presently it is in my home. There is the possibility that I will move everything out to the shop that is part of my carport. The man who built the house was a jeweler and when he retired he had a carport built and put a 15'X20' shop at the back under the same roof. This serves as my library presently. I have about 11,000 volumes in my library, but am in the process of reducing to between 5 & 8,000. There will be a good bit of space available in the shop, but I currently plan to put a reloading area there. The area of the house that is my computer room, study, gun room, pleasure reading library is where the guns will be kept. When I get the shop library trimmed I plan to move 4 of the 5 bookcases that I have in the study to the shop and keep only new or unread pleasure reading books in there. This provides a nice place of the gun safe.

Did they search your home or just meet you in the living room/office (if it was store front)?
    First let me tell you that I live in a 1922 Craftsman style bungalow that is mostly original. There were two additions to the house since 1922 and they both extended straight back so the two bedroom house became a four bedroom house. The last bedroom is off the back porch and is what here in the South is referred to as a mother-in-law room. It has it's own bath and access to the outside without going through the house. My wife and I use that as our bedroom. One of the original two bedrooms is my study.

In a bungalow the front door opens into the living room. We have a side door that opens into the dining room. The investigator was quite taken with the house. The first thing he commented on was the old homes in our town. Perry County, Alabama has more occupied antebellum homes than any county in the country. So he had seen a dozen or more during his drive through town to my house. His second comment was about our house. We have tried to keep it looking like it would have in 1922. Our living room has crown molding that is made of seven pieces. I gave him the grand tour of the house early on. He never asked to see anything. After the walk through of the house we settled in my study.

Did you have to show permits, business license, zoning laws (if home front) at the time of the interview?
    The investigator had already called the city clerk to find out about licenses and zoning. I have to get a business license and ask for a waiver for a business in a residential area. I had already checked on that and was informed that since I was not going to be a stocking dealer there would be not problem. My next door neighbor runs her real estate business from her home. Her daughter publishes a local newspaper. Up until last month she did that from her home which is across the street and two houses down. The printing was done elsewhere, but the office was in the house. The mayor's wife works with me and the Chief of Police encouraged me to get the FFL. I fixed the city's internet access last week and the city clerk told me that she had talked to the investigator and that there was not problem. The requirement is that you have the necessary licenses, permits, and zoning permissions within 30 day of receiving the FFL.

All in all it was really a good visit with the investigator who told me before he left that he would be writing his report and recommending approval. He said that it would probably take a couple of weeks to get the license, but he was off a little on that.

Hope that helps.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Congrats on the FFL
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Congrats George,

I'm glad to hear that our state has one more FFL. What are you doing with your libary down-size? My wife and I might want to buy some books from you, all depending on titles and subject matter of course

George,

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about doing the same, non-stocking dealer. I know my house is zoned for light industrial / business but I don't know what a license fee would cost. Oregon really isn't too keen on businesses it seems.

My house, well, lets just say that it was built before yours and it looks as if it was built earlier than it was. It's a family owned house and well, the family didn't really take good care of it. I'm in the process of trying (key word there) to rebuild what I can but it's slow going. So I was wondering if the "looks" of the place had anything to do with it.

I have deadbolts on the doors and inexpensive alarms on the windows. I would change that if I got an FFL and put in a true alarm system.

I have some homark safes and I am planning on getting a bigger/better real safe but I have to shore up my floor in the tool room though.

Grats on your FFL. Sorry I didn't say that at first, was just excited to learn more about the process.

Thanks again,

Wayne

How to get started

I would love to have an FFL for collection reasons and maybe a little selling on the side. My only issue is that I would be using my house and I don't know where to find out it there are laws against that. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Zackeal

Congrats...

on the FFL...nice thing to have!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackeal View Post
    I would love to have an FFL for collection reasons and maybe a little selling on the side. My only issue is that I would be using my house and I don't know where to find out it there are laws against that. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Zackeal
    The ATF people have no problem with it. You will need to check with the zoning people for your city or county. In my area as long as I am not a stocking dealer - a real storefront - they have no problems. Just need the business license.
    George

good going George !!!
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    Super Fast. Congrats dr_cmg.

Will we be changing the forum name to dr_cmg_ffl ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links