Baby Eagles?

Baby Eagles?

This is a discussion on Baby Eagles? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; many moons ago a friend of mine had Baby Eagle 9mm. I actually quite liked the gun, almost a cross between a Walther and a ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By farsidefan1
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By Hodad
  • 1 Post By BritishAgent
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By BritishAgent
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By Ingeniir

Thread: Baby Eagles?

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar

Baby Eagles?

many moons ago a friend of mine had Baby Eagle 9mm. I actually quite liked the gun, almost a cross between a Walther and a Sig.
    My question is whether or not his was faulty.

Whenever you slammed a fresh magazine home and the slide was racked open; the slide would automatically close into battery. Chambering a round and rendering the gun ready-to-fire. At the time we thought, huh, that's unusual.
    But we actually both came to kind of like that feature. It sped up reload times and once you got used it was quite nice. it never slam fired either. heck, my old 1911A1 has slam fired, more than once, that's why i won't chamber a round unless the muzzle is downrange on that piece.
    we probably put 500-800 rounds thourgh the baby eagle before he sold it, and it did this slide closure thing EVERYTIME you slammed a mag home(not when the mag was empty, only with rounds in the mag). it would NOT do it if you seated the mag slowly. it took a deliberatly sharp action to auto-close like that.

Since then i have told numerous folks about this looking to find out if this was an intentional design feature or if the gun was faulty. I have had people react with horror that that was the most unsafe thing they've ever heard, and others who thought it an interesting possible feature. i think it's kind of an interesting feature, so long as it doesn't slam fire.

Thoughts? was this a designed feature? if so was it only early generation guns? if not, what do you think was wrong with the gun?
    Also: what are your safety thoughts on this? keep in mind it never slam fired on us. any gun that slam fires is a safety concern regardless of how the slide is closed. but if this was designed feature on a weapon more or less garaunteed not to slam fire, such as a Glock.....?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Mu Bersa Thunder did that a few times. I had the safety on so no big deal. It was unusual in that it was not a consistent reaction. I wondered if it was because I slammed the magazine in too hard or something. Anyway, I sold it
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I thought a Baby Eagle was called an Eaglet.

Seriously though, I don't think I have had a semi-auto hand gun that would do that if it had a slide lock feature.

My (now stolen) S&W 39-2 locked open with an empty magazine and stayed open until empty was dumped and a full mag inserted and slide lock lever released. My Taurus PT-709 Slim (see avatar pic) works just like the S&W and the S&W Bodyguard .380 also works like that.

I would say that is a design flaw and needed to be repaired.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Sounds unusual to me.

Did your friend ever think about asking a LGD that sold that particular model or looking in the manual?

I am sure someone on this Forum will have a definitive answer for you before long.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

The MR Baby Eagle is a clone of the CZ-75. The Baby Desert Eagle is a clone of the Walther P99.

The action slamming shut on inserting a mag is generally due to a worn down slide stop. On modern firearms they're usually MIM or cheaply made steel that wears down as it engages with the stronger forged steel of the slide.

AFAIK, it's not a design "feature" on any pistol. If the slide lock is loose enough to easily disengage with your thumb, then if you slam a mag home hard enough, it'll shut. A tight slide lock on say, a brand new pistol can do the same thing, it'd just take more force.

Not a feature so much as the fact that if the mag follower isn't engaging the slide lock ('cause the gun is loaded), then nothing but it's own tension is keeping it from closing shut.

As far as danger goes, if the pistol has a properly functioning Firing Pin Block, you won't have any issues. Fixing the problem would call for a new slide stop and probably the accompanying spring. Working with the problem would mean pressing the mag release down as you insert the mag and slowly feeding it in, letting go of the button (or paddle or whatever) after the mag is all the way inserted.

I've had an actual Walther P99 for about 10 years now, great little pistol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    The MR Baby Eagle is a clone of the CZ-75. The Baby Desert Eagle is a clone of the Walther P99.

The action slamming shut on inserting a mag is generally due to a worn down slide stop. On modern firearms they're usually MIM or cheaply made steel that wears down as it engages with the stronger forged steel of the slide.

AFAIK, it's not a design "feature" on any pistol. If the slide lock is loose enough to easily disengage with your thumb, then if you slam a mag home hard enough, it'll shut. A tight slide lock on say, a brand new pistol can do the same thing, it'd just take more force.

Not a feature so much as the fact that if the mag follower isn't engaging the slide lock ('cause the gun is loaded), then nothing but it's own tension is keeping it from closing shut.

As far as danger goes, if the pistol has a properly functioning Firing Pin Block, you won't have any issues. Fixing the problem would call for a new slide stop and probably the accompanying spring. Working with the problem would mean pressing the mag release down as you insert the mag and slowly feeding it in, letting go of the button (or paddle or whatever) after the mag is all the way inserted.

I've had an actual Walther P99 for about 10 years now, great little pistol.
    it was NOT a baby DESERT eagle. but just a baby eagle(had to google image to verify) i do notice they continued making these into the "rail gun" era. his did not have a rail. this was about 2002 maybe? funny thing, lookings at the pics reminded how much i did like that little pistol. good ergonomics, low sight radius, all steel and good grip angle made it very recoil manageable, good little gun, never jammed, just -evidently- had a worn out slide release.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ah yes, those are even nicer. The CZ (and it's clones) are, in my eyes at least, to 9mm Luger what a full size 1911 is to .45.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "

Some of my automatics do the same thing - the G23, in particular, has done it since new and does it more frequently than the rest. The 1911s don't do it at all. While I'd prefer that the slide only move when I command it to, I recognize that at some point F=ma (physics) is involved and it doesn't strike me as dangerous.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    Ah yes, those are even nicer. The CZ (and it's clones) are, in my eyes at least, to 9mm Luger what a full size 1911 is to .45.
    i like how low they sit in your hand. it's the one thing i don't like about SIG's. the sights are about a mile above your hand. hehe, you may catch some flak for that statement. lots of folks have favorite 9mm's. i would have to put CZ's, walthers, and these Baby's pretty high up the list, if not just for that low sight radius.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Some of my automatics do the same thing - the G23, in particular, has done it since new and does it more frequently than the rest. The 1911s don't do it at all. While I'd prefer that the slide only move when I command it to, I recognize that at some point F=ma (physics) is involved and it doesn't strike me as dangerous.
    huh. on a Glock that kind of surprises me. can't be a worn catch/weak spring issue if it's done it out-of-the-box. this was the only time i've experienced it. Even my old 1911A1 that occasionally slam fires won't do this. My Kimber hasn't done any of the above. none of my Glocks have done it, or slam fired. my wife's Kahr, negative.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

hehe, you may catch some flak for that statement. lots of folks have favorite 9mm's
    My favorite 9mm is the aforementioned P99, but I respect its shortcomings as well as the advantages of other branded pistols.

huh. on a Glock that kind of surprises me. can't be a worn catch/weak spring issue if it's done it out-of-the-box. this was the only time i've experienced it. Even my old 1911A1 that occasionally slam fires won't do this. My Kimber hasn't done any of the above. none of my Glocks have done it, or slam fired. my wife's Kahr, negative.
    Mechanically speaking, all generally standard slide stops are capable of unlock due to jarring. It has little to do with brand. Smitty's G23 probably just has a slightly out of spec stop or spring. Your "old" 1911A1 may have a sticky firing pin, but if it's as old as I'm guessing, then it probably has a solid forged steel slide stop too. More of how that specific part is sitting in that specific gun sort of deal.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "

I own a baby desert eagle II by IWI and imported by Magnum Research. Aside from mine being a .45 the design is the same as 9mm and it would do the same thing when I slid home a mag with any round in it. The problem was how the slide lock and the notch in slide lined up, more of a slight ramp where they engaged vs. a squared off notch, this caused the slide to be locked back more by friction than an actual hang up.

I just filed out the notch on slide a bit to allow the slide lock lever to fully engage and haven't had an issue since in 100's of mag changes.

I am neither a gunsmith nor play one on tv, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    BritishAgent likes this.

I believe there are two Turkish companies making clones of the Baby Eagle, imported by EAA and Tristar, as I recall. They're supposedly pretty good, and inexpensive.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Lead Moderator
    I have heard of others having Glocks operate this way on hard mag loads. My 1911 did so when I first got it. Sent it back , once the new slide stop was installed it doesn't anymore.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My Glock 23 and 27 will both do it. A walther 380 will do it as well, I'm sure others do it too. Those three I've just hand hands on experience doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links