Glock dealer obligations

This is a discussion on Glock dealer obligations within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; is there such a thing as "official" or "authorized" Glock dealers? do gun stores have dealer obligations? The reason I ask is because some places ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By technomonster
  • 1 Post By SIGP250

Thread: Glock dealer obligations

Glock dealer obligations

is there such a thing as "official" or "authorized" Glock dealers? do gun stores have dealer obligations?

The reason I ask is because some places I've been to will try to pass "used, but never fired" as new,
    other places will sell the red label Glocks - where the standard capacity mags have been swapped out with restrictive 10 round mags, (why not sell the white label?)
    Ive also seen "new" G26s for sale where all the magazine base plates where replaced with extended base plates.

The first Glock I ever bought a couple years ago had some issues, I later found out that Glock was manufacturered in 2001 (10 years before I bought it), and it had been passed around several different gun stores before I got it.

thankfully, my most recent Glock purchase was manufactured in October 2013.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure about regular Glock dealers.
    I do know of a "Blue label" Glock dealer that lost territory because the didn't document that some of the people they sold guns to were eligible (Police and first responders).
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Considering the current flux of New York State gun laws, any GLOCK is (or soon will be) considered contraband. I'm clueless regarding "authorized" dealers & their related corporate obligations. Yet if it's anything like being a GLOCK Armorer, the definition can be sorta' nebulous.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

There are reputable dealers and not so reputable dealers. You and the dealer have to come to an understanding on terminology. I have bought "New In Box" guns that were forty or fifty years old. Someone bought it and never fired it. I have bought "As New" guns, especially big bore revolvers, that came with what was left of the first box of ammo that was bought with the gun.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

if youre talking about a series 70 colt 1911 then yeah "new in box" is acceptable. But Glocks, which are a common modern firearm - and are backed up with warranties galore should have some dealer obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    There are reputable dealers and not so reputable dealers. You and the dealer have to come to an understanding on terminology. I have bought "New In Box" guns that were forty or fifty years old. Someone bought it and never fired it. I have bought "As New" guns, especially big bore revolvers, that came with what was left of the first box of ammo that was bought with the gun.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by condition1blog View Post
    The first Glock I ever bought a couple years ago had some issues, I later found out that Glock was manufacturered in 2001 (10 years before I bought it), and it had been passed around several different gun stores before I got it.
    you must be mistaken, Glocks don't malfunction or break, ever. every single last one is perfect and always will be.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I had a question about my recoil spring on my glock, took it to my LGS. they looked at it and told me that I was correct and that it was bent. They said they weren't sure if glock would send the part or if the gun needed sent in, and that if needed i couldn't ship the gun in since I wasn't an FFL dealer and that they would do it for me. Well they did and then charged me $30 since they shipped it.

Is this normal? I can't imagine it cost more than $7-$10 one way to ship that gun, and it pissed me off to the point where I probably won't go back to them. I don't expect them to eat the shipping cost but I just feel like I could have sent it in on my own terms for cheaper and that I was ripped off. I also get that sense because when I was in there to drop it off they were selling federal target 50rds (only had one box though) for $19 and wal mart down the road was selling them for $14 (when in stock). Not saying they were gouging or anything but you have to at least try to stay competitive and its a huge markup from the pre-scare days.

You can send a Ruger directly to the factory yourself. Not sure why you couldnt a Glock
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by brownandgold View Post
    I had a question about my recoil spring on my glock, took it to my LGS. they looked at it and told me that I was correct and that it was bent. They said they weren't sure if glock would send the part or if the gun needed sent in, and that if needed i couldn't ship the gun in since I wasn't an FFL dealer and that they would do it for me. Well they did and then charged me $30 since they shipped it.

Is this normal? I can't imagine it cost more than $7-$10 one way to ship that gun, and it pissed me off to the point where I probably won't go back to them. I don't expect them to eat the shipping cost but I just feel like I could have sent it in on my own terms for cheaper and that I was ripped off. I also get that sense because when I was in there to drop it off they were selling federal target 50rds (only had one box though) for $19 and wal mart down the road was selling them for $14 (when in stock). Not saying they were gouging or anything but you have to at least try to stay competitive and its a huge markup from the pre-scare days.

Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship a pistol out of state, but ONLY to a licensed dealer. The BATFE states, “In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.”

Fact Check: Shipping Firearms | The Truth About Guns
    . Heck you can buy most parts of that gun cheep and do it yourselfe or have a glock armor do it

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship a pistol out of state, but ONLY to a licensed dealer. The BATFE states, “In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.”

Fact Check: Shipping Firearms | The Truth About Guns
    . Heck you can buy most parts of that gun cheep and do it yourselfe or have a glock armor do it

I am aware I could have bought the parts myself, but the gun has less than 600 rounds through it so I didn't feel as though a bent recoil spring was something I should have to replace. That being said I wasn't sure if my LGS was a glock armorer, and when I took it in they seemed very knowledgeable about the gun and what was wrong but told me my only solution was for them to ship it to glock. I was pretty naive about the situation and let them handle it and at least it was convenient.

Would a glock armorer have fixed it for me in store without shipping it / charging me?

Quote Originally Posted by brownandgold View Post
    I am aware I could have bought the parts myself, but the gun has less than 600 rounds through it so I didn't feel as though a bent recoil spring was something I should have to replace. That being said I wasn't sure if my LGS was a glock armorer, and when I took it in they seemed very knowledgeable about the gun and what was wrong but told me my only solution was for them to ship it to glock. I was pretty naive about the situation and let them handle it and at least it was convenient.

Would a glock armorer have fixed it for me in store without shipping it / charging me?

If you mean this spring Lone Wolf Distributors - Products - Glock Recoil Spring then it takes like 2 sec to swap them out just take the gun down and pop it out under the barrel and put and new one in . No need to send it it .. Glock would probley have sent you one for free.

Now if it was something else other then the spring then yeah it might need more work

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by condition1blog View Post
    is there such a thing as "official" or "authorized" Glock dealers? do gun stores have dealer obligations?

The reason I ask is because some places I've been to will try to pass "used, but never fired" as new,
    other places will sell the red label Glocks - where the standard capacity mags have been swapped out with restrictive 10 round mags, (why not sell the white label?)
    Ive also seen "new" G26s for sale where all the magazine base plates where replaced with extended base plates.

thankfully, my most recent Glock purchase was manufactured in October 2013.
    Almost all FFL's who sell Glock are authorized. Most dealers buy from major distributors while most police departments buy direct from the manufacture. Distributors represent the manufacture lines they carry. The distributor is responsible for making sure dealers meet any standard a manufacture may impose. This includes but is not limited to imposing Minimum Advertised Pricing, Uniform pricing, etc.

The manufacture warranties their products, not the dealer. Most dealers are not authorized repair centers which is why a defective firearm must be returned to the manufacture, not the dealer. Some dealers may exchange a firearm or firearm accessory if it is missing a part or if the product is visibly and obviously damaged as new. ATF allows non licensees to return a defective firearm to a manufacture for repairs.

First contact the manufacturers customer service department and request a return authorization. Most manufactures will then email you a prepaid return shipping label with further instructions.

The Dealer is not responsible for return shipping to a manufacturer. If a dealer does, he will likely send by 2 day air, insured and may also include his expense for packing and handling.

ATF does NOT require that you have an FFL return a firearm to a manufacture for repairs. ATF also allows the manufacture to return a repaired firearm directly to you, not the FFL dealer where you purchased the firearm.
    HotGuns likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

How many that were sold as LE were resold as New, a few

Links