LGS outside of the US?

This is a discussion on LGS outside of the US? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just occurred to me that I have 3 or 4 retail local gun stores (plus a Walmart) in my small, rural corner of the world. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: LGS outside of the US?

LGS outside of the US?

Just occurred to me that I have 3 or 4 retail local gun stores (plus a Walmart) in my small, rural corner of the world. However, I have never seen or noticed a gun store anywhere I've been outside of the US. It is very possible that, in my limited travels, I just missed some of the good stuff.

I know that several members live in other countries, and some of those countries recognize the rights of citizens or residents to own firearms.

If you live outside the US (or are familiar with the laws of other countries), how and where do you buy guns? How far do you have to travel? What are the restrictions?
    Chuck808 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I was still flying I did know that the Rod & Gun Club at Rhein Main AB in Germany carried guns for purchase plus they had the ATF import paperwork and would help you in filling it out ad would hold your weapon on lay-away until you were approved. Sadly that was over 25 years ago and Rhein Main has since been closed. With the Base Exchanges recently putting in gun counters stateside there may be a possibility of them doing the same thing overseas depending on the host countries laws. Other than that I cannot remember seeing any kind of gun stores with the exception of air gun shops in England.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have had guys on other foroms post phots of swiss gun clubs they went too ( looked nice) and there are vids out there on German ones ( nice too). H&H has a very nice store in the trendy part of London .

And I have seen photos of other ones too .

If you want a laugh watch the video on the gun markets in Pakisten great movie making all sort of guns and firing them in the air to show off ..

I think it could be fun to go to one in cananda to see all the stuff we can not buy any more

LGS outside of the US?
    This high tech facility in the city of Ulm in Germany is a little more than what you could call a LGS. I've not been to this place but I imagine one could spend some money there.
    Shop | MSZU - Müller Schießzentrum Ulm

There is only one legal store in the entirety of all Mexico. It is in Mexico DF.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Distinguished Member
    They are all over Spain. I used to spend several afternoons a month just trolling the shops when stationed in Madrid. I have even bought 9 shotguns and one pistol (ParaOrd P-12 45) while in Spain and have imported them to the USA. I have a friend who has done the same from the internet and has imported 10 or 12.

You need to know and follow the laws in both countries is all.

There are at least 15 gunstores within walking distance of the US Embassy in Madrid.

If you want to know more, the forum linked below has pictures, lists of gunstores and most everything you would want to know about Spanish Shotguns. There is also detailed instructions on how to purchase and export guns from Spain. I am a moderator in the forum there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/S...gun_Forum/info

Here is a picture of a friend of mine (back to camera) from Texas who, while in Madrid on business, spent two days touring the gunstores in Madrid based upon a tour I put together and bought himself a nice shotgun while there. The picture below that is of a Spanish sidelock 16 ga I bought in the same store 10 years previously. Below that is a picture from the Arrieta gun factory in Eibar, Spain I toured in 2012. Below that is a shotgun I bought in Madrid in 2011 and had restocked in Eibar, Spain then imported it.

I have also toured numerous gunstores in London where fine shotguns and express rifles are made (4 stores within 5 minute stroll from the US Embassy), Rome where you can find all kinds of sporting arms and Belgrade....with almost everything imaginable!

If you can't find a gun store in the places I mentioned, you aren't looking.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    When I was still flying I did know that the Rod & Gun Club at Rhein Main AB in Germany carried guns for purchase plus they had the ATF import paperwork and would help you in filling it out ad would hold your weapon on lay-away until you were approved. Sadly that was over 25 years ago and Rhein Main has since been closed. With the Base Exchanges recently putting in gun counters stateside there may be a possibility of them doing the same thing overseas depending on the host countries laws. Other than that I cannot remember seeing any kind of gun stores with the exception of air gun shops in England.
    The Vogelweh Rod & Gun Club had a good selection too. They pretty much supplied the K-town area.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What you do want to be carefull of is in some countries some things are consider over the counter and can be sold to anyone might be illagle as heck in the US.

For example in some countries you can buy over the counter full auto kits for glocks or silencer ( as they have differen defination of what parts make a gun) . Again probley not legal to used said parts in host country or ours so something to wonder over ..

I kinda of what to go to a gun shop in NZ as they sell silencers over the counter

When I was in Italy two years ago, I took some time to visit the gun store that was near the town where my family hails from. Shotguns seemed easy for locals to buy, and hog, bird, rabbit, and deer hunting is very popular. Woke up often to the sound of gunfire in the morning. Handguns were a different matter - much more difficult for locals to get the paperwork for, and IIRC they were limited to .380 or below.

Some day, I have to get a Beretta, Benelli, etc
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    There's a gun store in Jerusalem that I visited several times. According to this article, there are only about 30 gun stores in Israel, serving a population of around 8 million. (Visiting an Israeli gun shop | The Bang Switch)
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    When I was in Italy two years ago, I took some time to visit the gun store that was near the town where my family hails from. Shotguns seemed easy for locals to buy, and hog, bird, rabbit, and deer hunting is very popular. Woke up often to the sound of gunfire in the morning. Handguns were a different matter - much more difficult for locals to get the paperwork for, and IIRC they were limited to .380 or below.

Some day, I have to get a Beretta, Benelli, etc
    Italy you can have any guns as long as it is not militray carliber and full auto . So 9x21 is ok not 9x19 same as France . Mexcio / Brazil it is 38 or below. Last I looked at least

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    There's a gun store in Jerusalem that I visited several times. According to this article, there are only about 30 gun stores in Israel, serving a population of around 8 million. (Visiting an Israeli gun shop | The Bang Switch)
    They have very very tight guns laws which suprised some people basicly no rifles you can only own one handgun etc etc

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    wmhawth likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I used to deal with the Rod & Gun Clubs in Germany; basically with a military ID you could purchase firearms through their stores. You had to register the weapon and return with the registration card before you cold actually pick the weapon up though, and you had to comply with the local laws for storage and carry of the weapon.

I also purchased several guns through some of the local German stores; Eduard Kettner and Frankonia Jagd were two of the biggest hunting/sporting stores. First, you had to have a German hunting license (Jagdschein) or weapons license (Waffenbesitzkarte) issued from the local state government, and that allowed you to buy a weapon and/or ammunition in pretty much the same manner as we do here. Sort of like having a CHCL here, you went through enough training, background checks, and testing to get one of those cards that you were pretty well trusted.

Around 1992, a German student stole a weapon from a sport shooting club and proceeded to shoot up a school with it. This led to a serious clamp-down on both civil and SOFA military purchase, ownership, and possession. These days troops are prohibited from bringing personal firearms with them, if I understand the current rules correctly, any authorized weapons must be stored in a unit arms room when not actually in use, and the old rod and gun club system is pretty much gone. Even hunters (Jagdschein) are limited in what they can purchase and keep these days, and the Jagdschein used to be a pretty much unlimited pass. At any rate, it's definitely different from what us oldsters remember from the 70s and 80s.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pscyclepath View Post
    I used to deal with the Rod & Gun Clubs in Germany; basically with a military ID you could purchase firearms through their stores. You had to register the weapon and return with the registration card before you cold actually pick the weapon up though, and you had to comply with the local laws for storage and carry of the weapon.

I also purchased several guns through some of the local German stores; Eduard Kettner and Frankonia Jagd were two of the biggest hunting/sporting stores. First, you had to have a German hunting license (Jagdschein) or weapons license (Waffenbesitzkarte) issued from the local state government, and that allowed you to buy a weapon and/or ammunition in pretty much the same manner as we do here. Sort of like having a CHCL here, you went through enough training, background checks, and testing to get one of those cards that you were pretty well trusted.

Around 1992, a German student stole a weapon from a sport shooting club and proceeded to shoot up a school with it. This led to a serious clamp-down on both civil and SOFA military purchase, ownership, and possession. These days troops are prohibited from bringing personal firearms with them, if I understand the current rules correctly, any authorized weapons must be stored in a unit arms room when not actually in use, and the old rod and gun club system is pretty much gone. Even hunters (Jagdschein) are limited in what they can purchase and keep these days, and the Jagdschein used to be a pretty much unlimited pass. At any rate, it's definitely different from what us oldsters remember from the 70s and 80s.
    Looking back over the laws until about the late 80s early 90s most countries in the EU and ocieance states had very laxs guns laws. Till about late 80s you could buy semi auto sport rifles ( AR/AK etc) handguns what ever you wanted in most counties there but for some dern reason a bunch of shootings happend and that all went to pot. I hate seeing photos in the late 80s in Uk and aussie land of all thouse rifles being destroyed .

As werid as it sound in most countries incudlindr us guns laws were not that bad till the late 80s then it all went to heck. See the 1986/1989 bans here and the first real bad gun laws starting and passed in CA in 1989 .

Thanks for sharing man . Sounds like it was fun while it lasted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links