Thoughts on the springfield m1a

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the springfield m1a within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this topic has already been addressed, but I did not see anything in a search. I was looking for opinions on the Springfield ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the springfield m1a

Thoughts on the springfield m1a

Sorry if this topic has already been addressed, but I did not see anything in a search.

I was looking for opinions on the Springfield M1A's. I keep looking at them and have given a few passing thoughts as to selling my M4 to fund the purchase of an M1A.

I seem to be gravitating toward somewhat larger calibers as I've gotten older. (That and my wife complains that I like to gun shop while I'm deployed since I end up with some spare time.)

I'm trying to find some pro's and con's with the rifles vs. the M4/AR15 platform and general opinions on them. I don't know much about Springfield's reputation either.

Any info is appreciated.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I went from AR's to the M1A. I like the M1A, but it is heavier. No good or bad, just preference.
    I much prefer 30 caliber bullets to varmint rounds for the purposes of such rifles;
    Like war, instead of rabbits.
    SatCong, OldVet and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have a scout and a standard they are great rifles, little harder to mount optics, not as "tight" as a M4 when you are using it, but it its a great gun. After market chasis like the SAGE for this gun IMHO are game changers, however, that is if you can actually afford and get your hands on one.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i love the M14 family of rifles but they can get pretty heavy depending on what you addons you have.

battle rifles and carbines serve different purposes, i for one can't shoot the M1A off hand that well, a sling can help. it's also not as maneuverable.

New gun for fun -- maybe an M14-pattern. Need your recommendations!
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Ok here is what I know . If you get a pre 94 gun it will have a bayo lug and flash hider new ones will either have a break or flash hider but no lugs even on new ones and CA models will have a break which is a pain to clean. The first gun were made with GI parts some people like them more .

And there are a lot of stocks you can add including bulpup and Ar style ones.

There is also a bretta made m1a ( that was banned from imported in 89) and there are also Full auto pre 86 m14 if you want a true gun .M1A rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has a list of serial numbers . Some people buy GI parts and build there own gun for a more true one .

Also Norinco made a clone of it that was great till it got banned from import ( still get one for 500 or less in Canada)

Good guns . Great battel rifles Gun Review: Springfield Armory M1A | The Truth About Guns

The socom is the 16icnh tac cool one good handy short gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by tacomunchkin View Post
    Sorry if this topic has already been addressed, but I did not see anything in a search.

I was looking for opinions on the Springfield M1A's. I keep looking at them and have given a few passing thoughts as to selling my M4 to fund the purchase of an M1A.

I seem to be gravitating toward somewhat larger calibers as I've gotten older. (That and my wife complains that I like to gun shop while I'm deployed since I end up with some spare time.)

I'm trying to find some pro's and con's with the rifles vs. the M4/AR15 platform and general opinions on them. I don't know much about Springfield's reputation either.

Any info is appreciated.

Start with a few posts from a few weeks ago: New gun for fun -- maybe an M14-pattern. Need your recommendations!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Love the Scout Squad. I don't think I've ever met a person that didn't love their M1a.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    My thread is the one being cited. I have only had one chance to shoot mine since I got it -- sighting it in at the range, but it's a joy to hold and shoot, and quite accurate.

It is indeed heavy compared to an AR-15, and kicks a bit more (to me) despite the weight. But it's a fine piece of machinery. Unless people are coming up the street 1/4 mile away bent on killing me, the AR is probably better for home defense, though.

I bought it as a range toy and maybe eventually for hunting deer and elk. I don't currently know how to hunt, but I'd like to know and am looking for mentors locally. I know people hunt with 5.56 but many people seem to think it's inadequate for larger animals, and my personal ethics dictate if I kill an animal it had better be quick and clean.

I have always preferred the M-14 style rifles since I carried one for a while in Viet Nam. Fulton Armory is another manufacturer of military rifle clones,
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Great rifle, fun to shoot, everyone should own one.

Thanks for the inputs. The more the better.

I'm necessarily looking a pre-ban rifle for lugs. I got my 03a3 for that one However. I keep seeing the add for the Springfields on the home page here and thinking that would be fun to have (and such a sexy gun too). Though I do love the nostalgia of military battle rifles. I'm not near old enough to have ever trained on an m14 though. I've only been able to get my hands on the M4 from work. (That and the Air Force doesn't really think most officers need long gun experience)

In the home defense situation, I would be hard pressed to get to my rifle in time. (I've got young children at home and I'm needing to upgrade my long gun storage before the oldest is able to start climbing) I'd be more opt to go for the pistol than a rifle. That and and I live in a more crowded neighborhood, I'd be a lot more concerned with over penetration by using any rifle.

Also, since my wife is not particularly fond of firearms at all she (she has said I'm not allowed to have any more, I have to substitute ones I have) I unfortunately don't have the option of adding to the collection. I have been toying with the idea partly as to have a rifle that I am able to mount optics on and go hunting. I was hoping to use my 03a3 this year, but I was looking to help round out the options. And I'm in the same boat as Brocktice about having a weapon of sufficient caliber and power for those regards.

I bought it as a range toy and maybe eventually for hunting deer and elk. I don't currently know how to hunt, but I'd like to know and am looking for mentors locally.
    I'm in the same position there too. I was just setting up with a number of friends before I got voluntold for a new assignment in Florida. I miss the NM mountains. They were quite lovely and I had a blast whenever I went out west to them.
    brocktice likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just remember: If your gun gets too heavy because you added a bunch of crap to it, that's your fault--not the gun's.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a standard M1A. I really like it; so far it hasn't failed yet save for a box of undercharged Turkish ammunition it didn't like. It likes the Federal 168-gr 7.62X51mm OTM loads, and I very much like to shoot them through it.

Some contrasts to the AR to consider (compared to the Colt LE6920...some of these aren't true of all ARs): the barrel isn't chromed, the parts are not USGI-spec. The rifle is much heavier and less maneuverable than an AR; it pivots at the pistol grip under recoil, so the muzzle will rise noticeably with every shot. The cartridge it fires is unsuitable for home defense applications if your neighbors live anywhere near you. If you'd like it to double as a deer rifle though, it will do quite nicely. It can certainly reach out there to a greater degree than the 5.56 cartridge in general. It will cost you about twice as much to keep it supplied with ammo vs a 5.56 rifle.

I would never sell my ARs for an M1A, but I also would never want to give it up. I don't regret buying it for a second, and I don't know many M1A owners who do.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Just remember: If your gun gets too heavy because you added a bunch of crap to it, that's your fault--not the gun's.
    It's a good bit heavier than an AR-15 from the get-go. I've got nothing on it and a fair amount of stuff on the AR, and the AR is still a lot easier to move around. But then, it's a carbine, not a battle rifle.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the M14 is about 2lbs heavier than the M16, both unloaded.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    It's a good bit heavier than an AR-15 from the get-go. I've got nothing on it and a fair amount of stuff on the AR, and the AR is still a lot easier to move around. But then, it's a carbine, not a battle rifle.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the M14 is about 2lbs heavier than the M16, both unloaded.
    according to their makers the M1A with walnut stock is 9.2 lbs, exactly 3 lbs more then the 16" Colt AR6720.

the fiberglass stock M1A is 8.8 lbs, 1.85 lbs more then the Colt LE6920.
    brocktice likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links