I am in love...

I am in love...

This is a discussion on I am in love... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; with the 1911! I finally shot my Ruger SR1911 and I absolutely love it! I have never shot a 1911 or anything in .45 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: I am in love...

I am in love...

with the 1911!

I finally shot my Ruger SR1911 and I absolutely love it! I have never shot a 1911 or anything in .45 for that matter. 250 rounds of various 230 gr. target ammo and I was all smiles the whole time. Not a single hiccup. I could not believe how accurate it is. Recoil is amazingly awesome. I don't need to keep going because most of you know how great the 1911 is. I am glad I finally got to experience it.

This is my first 1911 but it definitely wont be my last.

Getting more ammo tomorrow and it's back to the range on Saturday.

And so it starts . Oddly I dont own one but one like the try a ruger or springer one day . The soft recoil part always peak my interest ...

Be very careful, they are addictive.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Have fun !!!
    bigpapa, msgt/ret, srings and 6 others like this.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

It's amazing how that happens. I already have 3 of them...still want more. Congratulations on your new addiction.

VIP Member
    What do 1911's and Lays potato chips have in common? You can't have just 1!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    1911s are fantastic shooters. There's a reason they've been around so long yet remain so popular. Think of all the "advancements" in handguns we've seen come and go since Browning put this thing together for the first time!

That said, I don't have one that actually functions as a firearm these days. (I do have one in a display case- the one and only firearm I own that is intended to do anything other than help me survive.) However I'm missing having the option. At some point there will be a new 1911 in my safe.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

My wife hates shooting either of my 1911s. Not the platform, but a .45acp is too much for her. As I have posted, I bought her a Kimber Sapphire 9mm for her birthday. Now, it's her favorite. Not just because it's a beautiful gun, but because it shoots like a dream. She's now a 1911 platform addict...so long as it's a 9mm.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

DSCN4222.jpg

It's not mine, belongs to my buddy misterfats123. It was sweet to shoot it.
    bigpapa likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I have had many Colt 1911s and have loved the all over the decades.
    Just got a Sig Ultra II, 3 inch carry, It shoots sooo well.

Still love my 'plastic' Kodak .45s, but they are like Pepsi in a Coca-Cola world. Same thing but not.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Welcome to the club!

As a kid I had always heard about the 1911's recoil from my dad and his friends who were all WWII vets. My dad enjoyed shooting, absolutely loved the M1 Carbine, but admitted he couldn't hit squat with the .45 and associated that with the recoil. My first defensive pistol was a 1911 in .45 and that was the first .45 I ever shot. That was close to 25 years ago and I can only imagine I was gritting my teeth and had every muscle tensed in anticipation of the recoil, until the first couple of shots. What a pleasant surprise! I could shoot that gun all day with full-power loads and never give it a second thought. Snub .38s with even standard-pressure loads, I can't say the same.

These days, shooting the .45 auto is pretty relaxing and the feel of the 1911 recoiling in my hand is comforting. My hands might get worn out from stuffing the magazines, but not the shooting!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My dad carried the 1911 and M1 carbine in WWII, and I'd always heard the stories about how inaccurate the 1911 was. Then back in about 1977, while out on an open shooting area, a fellow had a 1911 and offered to let me try it. I'll confess it had been "accuracized" but knocking over soda cans at 15-20 yards was a piece of cake, even for me. Dummy me has never managed to spend the bucks on one, but I truly see the appeal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What do 1911's and Lays potato chips have in common? You can't have just 1!!
    Yup, part of the collection.

SA_Comp_r.JPG SR1911CMD_R.JPG ColtDE_R.JPG IMG_0690.JPG Colt_R.JPG IMG_0581.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I have none , I sure have alot of catching up to do . Btw nice guns

No 1911's
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

1911-2.jpg1911-3.jpg

My baby. She now has CT grips, Wilson back-strap safety, wilson firing pin, firing pin spring & firing pin block and went to Wilson for a reliability package service.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links