Keltec KSG

This is a discussion on Keltec KSG within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like a cool shotgun, but i think it's pointless, really. Massive recoil from watching the videos. even jams sometime. Expensive! Anyone here actually own ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OutWestSystems

Thread: Keltec KSG

Keltec KSG

Looks like a cool shotgun, but i think it's pointless, really. Massive recoil from watching the videos. even jams sometime. Expensive! Anyone here actually own one? Thinking an 870 with a short barrel is better. After 1000's of rounds, my 870 hasn't FTF/FTE yet.

2. Remove Ads

Have one, not sure if it's better than 870 with 18"barrel. Definitely a smaller package. 14 rounds in magazine is impressive. Does recoil a bit but not much more than any other pump.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Have one, not sure if it's better than 870 with 18"barrel. Definitely a smaller package. 14 rounds in magazine is impressive. Does recoil a bit but not much more than any other pump.
    did a search but no avail. Is the barrel replaceable? Like for a longer barrel.....

I think Sixto had one and got rid of it. May want to do a search for his impressions.

There is the ksg and not uts 15 I think . The newer ones are more work out but it is a small gun with a lot of rounds on hand . Also good if you want to have slug in one tube buck in another etc.

But reliablity is the issues .

I perosnal would like a saiga 12 gauge with a drum mag no one is getting past 20 rounds of 00 imop good guns if you smoth them out right and make them good..

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The problem is that with the KSG you will either get one that works or one that is a piece of junk. I really wish they would turn over the design to someone else and let them put out a reliable gun. Good idea, bad implementation.
    WrongRecroom and blitzburgh like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Looks like a cool shotgun, but i think it's pointless, really. Massive recoil from watching the videos. even jams sometime. Expensive! Anyone here actually own one? Thinking an 870 with a short barrel is better. After 1000's of rounds, my 870 hasn't FTF/FTE yet.
    Only jams I see are when someone wussy-pumps the slide. If you do it properly with some force, it racks every time. The twin tubes are the only solution I've seen to quick and reliable means to using two different types of rounds, chosen on the fly, which I also find highly useful in armed security, and the bullpup design with a red dot is unsurpassed for clearing corners and interior spaces. 15 rounds without reloading doesn't hurt, either. It doesn't really have any more felt recoil than most other 12ga shotguns I;ve fired, all of which have a significant recoil. If, however, you feel more comfortable with an 870, that is an outstanding shotgun as well. So is a 500, and a 930/935. I've used most of those on the job as well.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    A buddy has one and he's brought it out here a few times. For my own part, I couldn't consider it a go to gun. The overall construction is subject to failure IMO. Each time we've taken it out, it's had FTF issues at least once during the session. The weapon has a fair amount of plastic and a fair amount of moving parts and that combination just sounds bad coming out of the gate. But they're fun, if not a little punishing.

Notionally, I like the concept. But I feel that the required engineering and cost of machining would make it fairly expensive if it were properly manufactured.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Recoil did a nice review. While I've never fired one (I'd like to try) they mention that reloading one is a huge pain due to the underneath and deeply seated chambers.
    Mesa Tactical's Kel-Tec KSG - RECOIL Magazine

I've held one. Didn't like the feel.

The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590 has been working well for decades. I don't see anything replacing them in the near future. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

VIP Member
    A good friend of mine was lucky enough to find one that works reliably and at a reasonable price. I can't say it has much more felt recoil than any other 12G I've shot, but that's of course subjective. Love the capacity and design. If I could find one that isn't priced through the roof, I'd certainly get one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Links