Ruger LCP9 9mm for Conceal Carry

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP9 9mm for Conceal Carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking into purchasing a Ruger LC9 9mm for my conceal carry handgun. I really like the handgun since it is so small and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP9 9mm for Conceal Carry

I am looking into purchasing a Ruger LC9 9mm for my conceal carry handgun. I really like the handgun since it is so small and easy to conceal, but I do not know that much about the gun itself. Should I stay away from the Ruger, and try for something else or what? This will be my first Ruger, I have an M&P now, but that one is way to big for conceal carry. I need some info on this, please. There are a great deal of experts on this forum, so please give me some info on the Ruger. Is Ruger reliable? I do really like the gun, but I need a reliable one also.

Thanks,
    David

I have a lcp 380 that I like . I will not buy a lc9 personal for one reason all the safties it has added if you are left handy do not buy (Gun Review: Ruger LC9 | The Truth About Guns) the gun is reliable but has a small safety on it and a internal lock .

What ever small gun you get I strognly suggested putting rubber grips on it . Helps a lot with jump.. If you have a m&p have you looked at the compact or Shild ? It might be more familer to have the same way of using the guns ...

What small guns have you shoot beofre ?

I have a number of micro guns I would say if you can shoot the following guns and see what you like ;

1. Shield
    2. Lc9
    3. nano bretta
    4.pf9 pf11 keltec
    5. Khar
    and any other micro 9 see what you like
    glock may be making a single stack 9 soon too as well

And do make sure you are ok with taking the gun apart and such some of these small guns are tricky ..

Also I perosnal hate the loaded chamber indicator on the LC9 DSC00067.JPG and it has a mag discounted .. If theses dont bother you or the the small saftey and you can fire it good get it . I think you can disable the LCI and the mag disconted .

I do have a lcp 380 which has none of that stuff on it 20131111_151921.jpg if they made this in 9mm I would buy it .

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye23 View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a Ruger LCP9 9mm for my conceal carry handgun. I really like the handgun since it is so small and easy to conceal, but I do not know that much about the gun itself. Should I stay away from the Ruger, and try for something else or what? This will be my first Ruger, I have an M&P now, but that one is way to big for conceal carry. I need some info on this, please. There are a great deal of experts on this forum, so please give me some info on the Ruger. Is Ruger reliable? I do really like the gun, but I need a reliable one also.

Thanks,
    David
    I had a LC9, the gun itself is okay. Nothing to write home to mom about, but it works. The things about the gun I did not like were, the mag disconnect, the loaded chamber indicator, and the safety. IMO if this is going to be a fighting gun, then it should not have any of those features. I never carried it because of those things. Thus I sold it and moved on. Do not get me wrong it is not a bad pistol, but there are better out there IMO. Look towards the shield.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

OP I think you meant the Ruger LC9. That was the first defensive caliber handgun I owned. To be honest it's decent but you really need good fundamentals and plenty of training time to get used to that trigger. You also have to accept and train with its dinky thumb safety and annoying mag disconnect. But it has adequate 7+1 capacity, is accurate once you learn to shoot it well and carries IWB very comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Badey and WrongRecroom like this.

I just rather carry the PF9 keltec over the LC9 due to rugers features that have been addressed above. I think ruger added the extras to keep from getting sued by keltec since its just a copy with those add ons. Myself I'v had both now carry again my Glock 27 or 23 since my thin xds45 is back at the mother ship for the upgrade.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I didn't like it cuz of the safties. There are just too many of them. The gun itself is reliable but I wouldn't carry it. I'd go with a shield since you already have an M&P series...that is if you like the M&P's. I have the shield and it's ate everything I put in it. I love it. Great CCW.
    WrongRecroom and 40Cal365 like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    I am looking into purchasing a Ruger LCP9 9mm for my conceal carry handgun. I really like the handgun since it is so small and easy to conceal, but I do not know that much about the gun itself. Should I stay away from the Ruger, and try for something else or what? This will be my first Ruger, I have an M&P now, but that one is way to big for conceal carry. I need some info on this, please. There are a great deal of experts on this forum, so please give me some info on the Ruger. Is Ruger reliable? I do really like the gun, but I need a reliable one also.

Thanks,
    David
    Hey, David. Welcome to the forum. I easily and comfortably carry a full-sized M&P much of the time. It is all in the belt, holster and clothing. PICT0036.JPG
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The trigger is pretty stiff and its a long pull. I tended to throw my shots because of this. Having said that, you could do worse for a carry gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JulesWinnfield likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Thank you for all the info. That is what I am looking for, the info. I do love the shield, and I think I am going to get that one for me, but my wife really wants a small semi-automatic to have also. For some reason, she really liked the Ruger that the salesperson did a pitch to her. Personally, I think that it is something else out there that is better, but not sure what. My wife has a hard time trying to pull back the shield to get one in the chamber, but for some reason she had not problem with the Ruger.

David

VIP Member
    Thank you for all the info. That is what I am looking for, the info. I do love the shield, and I think I am going to get that one for me, but my wife really wants a small semi-automatic to have also. For some reason, she really liked the Ruger that the salesperson did a pitch to her. Personally, I think that it is something else out there that is better, but not sure what.

David
    Salesmen sell. Let her run a few magazines through one before you buy.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Thank you for all the info. That is what I am looking for, the info. I do love the shield, and I think I am going to get that one for me, but my wife really wants a small semi-automatic to have also. For some reason, she really liked the Ruger that the salesperson did a pitch to her. Personally, I think that it is something else out there that is better, but not sure what. My wife has a hard time trying to pull back the shield to get one in the chamber, but for some reason she had not problem with the Ruger.

David
    It has been said by a few that the ruger is a nasty shooting little gun. I am pretty sure that your wife will not enjoy shooting it. Let her shoot some others and choose based on what she likes. You could also try the baby glock (G26) she may like that one as well.
    JulesWinnfield likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Own 2 LC9's they are out standing small 9mm for CC.
    If you have trigger problems go back to the range and learn to shoot.
    CC weapons are not paper punchers with hair triggers.
    Dono, jbum, DamnYankeeOK and 3 others like this.

David
    Have you tried a sig 238 or 938 ?

Also look at the bretta tip up gun no slide to rack . The tomcat/chetta and other.

Let her fired them and see if she likes them. A lot of these small pocket guns kick hard. So heaiver grips and the such or even low reocil ammo can be good ..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I just rather carry the PF9 keltec over the LC9 due to rugers features that have been addressed above. I think ruger added the extras to keep from getting sued by keltec since its just a copy with those add ons. Myself I'v had both now carry again my Glock 27 or 23 since my thin xds45 is back at the mother ship for the upgrade.
    Acctual I think they added all that crap so it would be legal to sell in CA.... guns have to have a LCI and I think a mag disc and other such stuff to be legal in CA.

It does not matter any more as there wont be any more new guns to sell in CA.. All new guns for the roster have to have microstamping
    maxwell97 likes this.

VIP Member

David
    The LC9 is ubiquitous, along with many other sub-compacts. I suggest you two go to a shooting range and rent some of these guns to try out. You will likely find some that feel "okay" and some that you just do not like at all.

I've shot the LC9 a fair amount, but I do not own one. For sub-compact autoloaders, I have a Shield in 9mm and an XDS in .45. I prefer those over the LC9, but I do think the LC9 is a fine choice, provided the safety is not an issue for you (you can carry with the safety off, as the LC9 has a long and relatively heavy trigger pull).

As for something else out there being better, yes, there is. And you can spend the rest of your life buying "better" handguns, each one having a minor drawback over the gun to which it is "better"...trust me, I know.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links