Hoppes 9 disaster

Hoppes 9 disaster

This is a discussion on Hoppes 9 disaster within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So many of you know my little one by now, she is the one who just had surgery. Yesterday she snuck into my office and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Hoppes 9 disaster

Hoppes 9 disaster

So many of you know my little one by now, she is the one who just had surgery. Yesterday she snuck into my office and got a hold of the big bottle of Hoppes 9 and dumped it out on the floor, all of it. I stood there in amazement for a couple of reasons. One, she is missing her right hand, so I am still dumbfounded that she was able to get the top off. I guess I can quit worrying about how she will do in life with this handicap because of course I then tried to do it one handed and couldn't. Second, I was amazed that she didn't get a drop of it on herself, not her hands, feet, nothing. She was majorly proud of herself. Me, not so much.

But now of course my office reeks of #9. I have the window open, which for me sucks because it was literally -20 where I live in MN. Mopped it up, have a fan blowing, the whole works. It still smells very strong. I saw on the Intertubes that some people use kitty litter when it is dumped on their carpet. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Kitty Litter could not hurt. It's a good absorbent.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    The smells of Hoppes Number 9, leather seats and whiskey-laced Skoal provide very pleasant memories of being around my dad when I was very young. His 1960 Bonneville had an aroma all its own, strong, but not at all unpleasant.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
    Give her a big, long hug and let her know you love her to pieces.

You'll get over the Hoppes #9. Don't know how, with it in the very pores of the foundation, now. But I'm sure you'll manage.

Ditto on the kitty litter option, as a first step. Hoppes' recommendation for cleanup procedures is, basically, to "Soak up material with inert absorbent and place in safety containers for proper disposal."

BTW, here is the safety data (MSDS) sheet on Hoppes #9: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would quickly spray some WD-40 to make things smell good again.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Lead Moderator
    After reading that MSDS I think I'll be cleaning my weapons faster, and not enjoying the unique smell as much. :embarrassed:
    atctimmy and welder516 like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I agree on the smell of #9! I love the smell as it brings me back to helping my uncle with his guns. I have always thought if I could bottle the smell of #9, the smell of a used shotgun shell or the smell of a Top Fuel funny car after a burnout into aftershave I would be a millionaire.
    JDE101, redmc and msgt/ret like this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

When small children and chemicals are involved, this is NOT a disaster!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    I saw on the Intertubes that some people use kitty litter when it is dumped on their carpet. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
    Carpet? Roll it up and drag it outside, it is finished. Hard floor, mop it a lot, keep changing the water. Enjoy the aroma. You may have to remove the baseboards to get all the way to the walls. At least she didn't spill a bottle of your wife's perfume in there!
    Stevew likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The smells of Hoppes Number 9, leather seats and whiskey-laced Skoal provide very pleasant memories of being around my dad when I was very young. His 1960 Bonneville had an aroma all its own, strong, but not at all unpleasant.
    I'm in Mikes camp on this one.
    My family is not very fond of the smell.
    So what.
    I am thankful she didn't think it was dads special iced tea and have a swig.
    She sure is amazing!

We told you, you will be more amazed at all the things she will be able to do and accomplish than the things she will NOT be able to do.
    JDE101, airslot and JoePfeiffer like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There are several products that can help rid you of the smell. You can try Febreeze. It is a fabric freshener. There used to be a product out called Odo-ban. It was marketed toward police and sheriff's offices for when prisoners messed up the insides of the vehicles (I think we know what I'm referring to). You can also go to a pet shop and get many products for the same purpose, some may even help get rid any stains.

I think Arm & Hammer makes a carpet-deodorizing product, but once the spill has dried you could just dump a box of baking powder on the affected area, brush it in, then vacuum it up a couple of hours later. Then get that can of Fabreeze.
    Ghost1958, msgt/ret and Hopyard like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Ole Number Nine is a smell that she'll always associate with her care free days now. In a way it may be a gift.

The room will air out. Likely you'll be able to smell the Hoppes for quite some time to come. There are worse things in this life though.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

This is not much fun now but from many experiences as the parent of now grown children you will someday treasure this memory.

+1 on baking soda. sprinkle some directly on the spill and put a couple of open boxes out in the room to absorb the odor from the air. stuff works great for that.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links