Finally figured out the Mark 3

This is a discussion on Finally figured out the Mark 3 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Ruger Mark 3 for plinking. Shoots great, but a pain to disassemble, clean, and reassemble.i have had help the last few times. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Finally figured out the Mark 3

I have a Ruger Mark 3 for plinking. Shoots great, but a pain to disassemble, clean, and reassemble.i have had help the last few times. Daughter wants to us it for her CCW class, so i did it myself today. Pain in the behind, but its ready. It makes all the others seem quick and eadypp

If it you want fun and have big hands try to take down a bodyguard 380 I have wonderfull bilster from that thing

And also this is why I dont own a ruger mk anything . I dont have the paitence to deal with them , no matter how nice they are .. I do like my m&p 22 as I dont curse too much when I clean it ( fix barrel is weird) and it holds up to 15 rounds so if need for SD I think 15 rounds of 22 mag or stinger will hurt a little

Senior Moderator
    There are some videos on You Tube that show disassembly of the Rugers that greatly simply the process. For instance, holding the handgun in the proper position while trying to reinsert the piece that comes off of the backstrap. Lots of little tricks in there that make a big difference.
    gasmitty likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Just make it a common practice to breakdown & put together. Close your eyes & feel it out too. Your weapon should be apart of you. It will save your life one day.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I have a MKI older than most people on this board that never fails to feed or jam. It has never, to my knowledge, been completely broken down. It just gets cleaned after each use, and it's still runnin' like a champ. I don't think Ruger even recommends it. Every place that gets carbon and fouling is accessible without disassembly... I'm pretty fanatic about cleaning my firearms, but the Ruger .22 pistols are an exception. I honestly don't think you're supposed to break them down unless there is a problem...knock on wood.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I had a Ruger Mk II. Started having trigger reset issues. Could not figure it out for the life of me. Using a flashlight, I finally spotted a small bit of carbon on the trigger linkage that was causing the issue. Cleaned it up, and that was that.

I got really good at taking that pistol apart and putting it back together, but after that, I didn't really trust it anymore - even if it was only a plinker. Sold it off, and now use a revolver for .22 plinking.

I do also have an Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock 19, but have not used it in years. It is supposed to hold 10 in the mag, but it will not work (with cheap "brick" ammo) if you load more than six. So again, might as well use the revolver (an ancient Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8 I picked up used for a song).

I know some will say to use CCI Stingers or other, better quality, more expensive .22 ammo - but if that is required, I might as well be firing a center fire caliber. JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The Ruger Marks can be a little tricky to reassemble, but it isn't rocket science. I never felt stymied or frustrated by it. And realistically, the gun doesn't need to be broken down for cleaning very often - certainly not after just a couple hundred rounds. I maintain my guns well, but white-glove cleanliness is rarely required to make them function well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I am very mechanically challenged and have had troubles reassembling my MKIII. But it really is as simple as following Ruger's directions exactly and it is not a hard process at all.

My worst experience ever with my MKIII during reassembly was when I went through the process over and over for about an hour and the bolt would not come back meaning I did something wrong. I had to walk away from it before I broke it. When I came back I realized I had been doing everything correctly for that hour, I had just neglected to disengage the safety rendering the gun impossible to properly reassemble.

Ruger MK... assembly problems are owner problems like mine, not the gun.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm not a fan of the Ruger Mks disassembly-reassembly either. Bought a MKII bullbarrel early1980s, went to disassembly and they had some jargon about hitting the barrel with a hammer to get it back in place (or was it to get it off?) Took it right back to the LGS, got a straight cashback and bought my SW Model 41. Never looked back

I figure there's 2 choices - 1) keep disassembling then reassemble until you have it down (it also gets physically easier after you've done it a few times) or 2) since it's a 22, just get the book out once/yr and give it a good scubbing.

VIP Member
    Most common error is getting the hammer strut hung up on the crossbar. But as rammerjammer noted, follow the directions exactly and it will go right back together. Perhaps with elbow grease.

Side note - one of my Mk III's went over 2,500 rounds between cleanings. I just wanted to see what would happen. It had more patience that I did, and I finally decided to strip it and clean it, even though it was running fine.

If you really don't like tearing it down, a bore snake, Qtips and toothpicks/dental picks will get you about 85% "there."
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

rammerjammer, I did that exactly. So frustrated I took it to my LGS. Embarassing.

Sponsored Links