Oh-Oh....Power out, not prepared! Good lesson.....

This is a discussion on Oh-Oh....Power out, not prepared! Good lesson..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Power just went out and will be down for a couple hours. Not a big deal this time, but it showed me I am NOT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Oh-Oh....Power out, not prepared! Good lesson.....

Oh-Oh....Power out, not prepared! Good lesson.....

Power just went out and will be down for a couple hours. Not a big deal this time, but it showed me I am NOT prepared. Only a couple half empty bottles of propane for the lanterns, no "extra" batteries for the flashlights, plenty of candles. And that is only addressing light, since it's nighttime at the moment.

I'm not in a high-risk area for power outages, but I'm finding my self uncomfortable should something more serious occur.

What's your emergency "stash" consist of?
    DrDP6 and Christopher67 like this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Lets just say after reading about starfish prime and seeing what happened I am not worried about the power going out I am pretty ready .

I was proud last time it blew that I called the next door folks and made sure there was out to and nothing more sinster was going on.

Also look for true glow sticks not the kiddie ones but the ones meant for leo etc they are cheep and last a while
    DrDP6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Lets just say after reading about starfish prime and seeing what happened I am not worried about the power going out I am pretty ready .

I was proud last time it blew that I called the next door folks and made sure there was out to and nothing more sinster was going on.

Also look for true glow sticks not the kiddie ones but the ones meant for leo etc they are cheep and last a while
    Starfish prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Starfish prime?

Mil EMP test back in the 60s took out most of the power in Hawaii .. Starfish Prime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also one second after is another good book also there was a made for Tv movies back in the 80s on the power of the blast..

Between the power of that and how crap SCARD ( comand and control system that run most any thing in our country) sercuirty power is something that can go very fast . So I plan based on that.

Our grid is old in most places non hardened.Some of the big blackouts were one guy forget to hit the right switch
    DrDP6 likes this.

Pp
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Mil EMP test back in the 60s took out most of the power in Hawaii .. Starfish Prime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also one second after is another good book also there was a made for Tv movies back in the 80s on the power of the blast..

Between the power of that and how crap SCARD ( comand and control system that run most any thing in our country) sercuirty power is something that can go very fast . So I plan based on that.

Our grid is old in most places non hardened.Some of the big blackouts were one guy forget to hit the right switch
    Gotcha! What's your plan if you don't mind me asking?

I have a fair amount of woods around me. As well as a river. There's snow on the ground now which can be good for a few reasons as well. As far as food goes, well we'll manage for a few days but there are two grocery stores on the hospitals power grid so I can't say getting food is an issue.

Prepare but be reasonable !

The mother of all power outages that actually COULD occur is similar to EMP but caused by a "solar storm " CME = coronal mass ejection . Same process that causes the Northern Lights but way bigger . Could pretty easily knock out the entire power grid for an indefinite LONG time . Hardest thing to fix would be those huge special transformers cause they just ain't got enuf in storage . They'd have to be manufactured and how do you do that in the chaos that would happen with NO electrical power No communications No commuters / internet etc. Just one of those many things that an ideal / intelligent civilization could prepare for but as individuals we're just SOL !!!!
    I worried myself half-to-death over many such scenarios but finally got old and tired enuf that I decided to just prep for fairly short term common sense disaster stuff - with the hope that the system will recover.
    My family is all pretty old and spoiled and not too interested in living thru any major collapse of civilization as we known it . We're good for maybe a month or so with no support - but that's probably overly optimistic.
    There are plenty of good websites devoted to preparedness at various levels . Just try to keep a balanced reasonable approach . Just three days prep is better than most people have
    Oldpsufan likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Let me see, 8 propane tanks for the grill/heater. Enough food for 6+ months, water source and a solar still to purify it, two solar cookers so I don't need to use the propane most days, spare medications and large first aid kit, clothing and sleeping bags for down to -30. I have no problem surviving with the family for 6 or more months, no matter what the conditions are.

And yes I have stuff and a plan to protect all of that, but that is not something I would not talk about on a website.

The way I go about it is I list what I do everyday that is a must for survival. Then I list the alternatives I have. Lehmans is a good place to look they carry non electrical lighting and appliances. There is something as simple as a kerosene lamp with a small pot cooker on top. Just enough to get coffee and cook an egg or two etc. I live out in the sticks so wood heat and a wood stove to cook on is present but we are in the snow as said above so water is here we also have a 550 gallon tank for when electricity is out we have a well.

Make it an adventure with the family. Say on Wednesday night we are going to turn off the electricity and see how we do for the one night. You may be surprised and find you actually talk instead of each family member going to their own corner with electronic media. Let each member offer ideas and try them out. This can turn into a lot of fun for kids and adult alike.

Enjoy the journey and it doesn't take a lot of money to have the basic needs covered.

Bill
    Secret Spuk and pgrass101 like this.

I'm no prepper...

I do live in Florida... where most of these scenario's are a reality. Most of my neighbors and friends are prepared for short outage, like maybe a week. I have a couple cases of MRE's and a well stocked pantry of canned foods. I keep a minimum 10 gallons of potable water. I keep my refrigerator freezer fairly well stocked. I'mm probably be OK on my own for about a month. (Think I need more water) I can use canal water to flush my toilet, boil it and bathe and wash clothes. This may last about two months as most folks in Florida are city transplants and have no clue about water management and personal hygene (In the wild). Lazy folks will use the canal for a bathroom rather than tote water to their homes.

My opinion is everyone should have a plan. A realistic plan. Think Katrina. It can happen. It will happen somewhere. Next time it may be you.
    Oldpsufan and amendment4 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Yeah, spare meds is a problem here. My doc is so afraid that I'll abuse some tylenol #3 that she makes me beg for each refill. For crying out loud I'm a professional person in the medical field, over 55 and don't drink or smoke.

On the topic my brother had to survive in the heat of a Va Beach summer for two weeks with no power after Isabel. The powerline to his house was KO-ed by a tree branch in his yard so he was last to be fixed. He said it cured him of the urge to 'go camping'.

I was prepping before I was toting.I am not paranoid,just want to be ready. My most recent purchase was 24 tablets of potassium iodide. Ok I am paranoid.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by amendment4 View Post
    I was prepping before I was toting.I am not paranoid,just want to be ready. My most recent purchase was 24 tablets of potassium iodide. Ok I am paranoid.
    lol ma man...

Just because your paranoid dont mean it's a bad thing.
    I have a quirk for following my first thoughts and feelings. I believe that my mind is trying to protect me from threats I dont percieve... Paranoia aint always bad.

VIP Member
    A back up generator
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    I don't expect many members from Michigan to be chiming in right now because they are still without power and cannot.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links