Just went out shooting and kinda impressed myself!

This is a discussion on Just went out shooting and kinda impressed myself! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thought I'd share, since I'm kinda proud of the moment. Went to zero out my AR-15 today since i'm going with a friend to hunt ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jemsaal
  • 1 Post By Zralou
  • 1 Post By Zralou

Thread: Just went out shooting and kinda impressed myself!

Just went out shooting and kinda impressed myself!

Thought I'd share, since I'm kinda proud of the moment. Went to zero out my AR-15 today since i'm going with a friend to hunt coyotes in a couple of days. I have a red-dot scope that is 4 MOA. Every group I shot was within two inches (50 yards-had a flyer here and there) using TulAmmo 55 grain .223 in some gusty weather. I was using a makeshift rest (a two legged tray-table bent in an L shape to stand) and coffee cans on top with a blanket over it.

I know others could probably do better, but given the circumstances, and the fact that I've only shot a rifle a handful of times over the last 30 years, I was pretty happy with the fact that I was shooting within the MOA of my scope (or, more specifically, within the arc that the dot covers).

Then I started practicing with my EDC. Decided to shoot for the target out at 50 yards with a XDSC and PMC FMJ 180 grain rounds. Had one flyer. Put the rest within six inches of center, and a grouping of eight inches (three within 5 3/4 inches). Again, I know others can shoot better, but a year ago when I got back into handguns, those were my numbers for shooting at 10-15 yards.

Again, just thought I'd share a proud moment. Oh, and trying to draw and shoot, put one within an inch of center. Another within three inches. We won't talk about the other three or four. That's next on my to-do list.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

2. Remove Ads

Nice. Congrats.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I'm jealous!! Whenever I go out shooting I come back more depressed than impressed. Kind of like when I go out and play a round of golf. A good shot every now and then, but lacking the consistency I want.

Oh well, it's still fun and to a large degree that's what it's all about anyway.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    If there are not pictures or an OCAT Export File, it did not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    If there are not pictures or an OCAT Export File, it did not happen.
    All right, all right! Here's the pic.

I used the target to do a little free-standing rapid fire at about thirty yards, so there's other holes as well, but I marked the ones I'm talking about. 20131227_150040.jpg
    Here we go!
    Here we go!
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

Good job, especially with the pistol. Don't know if you're already doing this, but there's nothing that says you can't rest the very top of the dot just under the bullseye (6 o'clock hold) - may give you a better group in the future

Very good. I am also jealous. Would love to be there with you. Good day of shooting can't be beat IMHO
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member
    Very nice, congrats. A good range trip is nice, only bested by when you shoot better than you thought you would/could. I had a good range trip today myself, did well but nothing really impressive.

I've impressed myself a couple of times, shooting doesn't get much better for me than that.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Great day of shooting....and thanks for sharing the target picture, albeit under threat. We all seem to be addicted to pictures here.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Congrats, I had a similar 'buzz' last sunday. I took my "new to me" Glock 21 to shoot a classifier in IDPA. I'd never shot the gun before the match, and I didn't have a mag pouch for .45 mags so had to do reloads from a jacket pocket. But still managed to classify as Marksman in CDP.

Sara Lou
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Cool

That's great.

Now if you really wanna have some fun go down to Vegas when they have that Machine Gun Shoot. They have it twice a year down there. Maybe catch a SHOT Show. Just sayin'. HUA
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    Congrats, I had a similar 'buzz' last sunday. I took my "new to me" Glock 21 to shoot a classifier in IDPA. I'd never shot the gun before the match, and I didn't have a mag pouch for .45 mags so had to do reloads from a jacket pocket. But still managed to classify as Marksman in CDP.

Sara Lou
    Hey - Great! Girl, you rock!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Thanks Granny, it felt good, I know how the OP feels.

Sara Lou
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Good work!

Links