inexpensive plinking pistol

This is a discussion on inexpensive plinking pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Notice I didn't say cheap as that statement implies poor quality. What inexpensive plinker do you have trigger time on and what are your thoughts?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: inexpensive plinking pistol

Notice I didn't say cheap as that statement implies poor quality. What inexpensive plinker do you have trigger time on and what are your thoughts?
    DrDP6 likes this.

I love my wife's Ruger SR22 for play time. Accurate, eats anything, fits my hand well. Picked it up new over the summer for about 3 bills. Can be found cheaper used.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

My dad and brother both have a Walther P22 that's a blast to shoot, although I think the price on them is a lot more these days then what they paid for them several years ago. I have a Sig Mosquito, fun gun, but VERY picky about the ammo you use.
    Romans 12:21

VIP Member
    I think it might be worth defining what you consider 'inexpensive' because that's going to determine a lot.

I've got one of these that's older than I am and I think it's a great plinker. I don't think it's expensive either.
    QKShooter likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Mine is a Ruger 22/45 (Mk II) that probably has upward of 10,000 rounds through it. It's a natural pointer, although I confess I prefer the all-metal Ruger Marks better. It's more accurate than I am, and with a Voquartsen trigger kit installed it's even more fun.

If you're OK with a single-action auto, then the Ruger is my recommendation; if you prefer a double-action auto, I'd steer you toward the Walther P22. These resemble the Ruger SR22 and Sig Mosquito in size, function and price, but seem to be more reliable and tolerant of more types of .22 LR ammo.
    DrDP6 and QKShooter like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Ruger Mk III (all metal model). About 15,915 rounds down the pipe.

Learning curve in stripping and cleaning, which personally think is way overblown.

Built like a small tank. I'm very sure it will still be spitting rounds out after I've pushed up many daisies.

Well balanced and accurate.

You can remove the mag disconnect with an after market bushing, and remove the LCI with an after market filler, but it is not necessary and does not yield any real improvement that I can discern.

One of the best "fun gun" purchases I ever made.
    QKShooter and DrDP6 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock 30 for $250. While lighter and less recoil that the .45, it has the same trigger feel.
    QKShooter and StormRhydr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Stay away from SIGs. I have/had two; A SIG mosquito, and the hammerlli target model. Both blow. Jamomatics

By far the best shooting .22 pistol I have ever shot, and currently own, is the M&P .22 It runs like a sewing machine. I highly recommend it.
    QKShooter likes this.

OP you better look at the list of handguns you can buy in CA easily .

The sr22 is not legal in CA unless you SSE or PPT it both a lot of money

I like the m&p 22lr great gun . no problems and a easy to take down and clean and is real nice .. But if you order it make sure you get the CA version if you get a normal version you are commitied a number of felonies .. Ie no threaded barrel on handguns and over 10 round mags ..

And the sig 22 and the p22 are not that good I hear from my gunsmith

To anyone wanted to commit on these be awar that in CA you can only buy apporved handguns through a store there are way around it but not often cheep. And he cant own a gun with a thread barrel or over 10 round mags ... I think if your leo you might get around the second part but not sure

Quote Originally Posted by OneLessPrius View Post
    Notice I didn't say cheap as that statement implies poor quality. What inexpensive plinker do you have trigger time on and what are your thoughts?
    I guess you mean a 22lr for least expensive ammo( although currently not cheap or even available -due to hoarding ?) I had a Hi Standard big ol' target model that was very accurate and reliable with good copper plated CCI . Be careful to examine any used 22lr because they're often used very hard and with junky RNL ammo .

Oh, and don't expect to pay any less for a good quality gun just because it's a 22 - you save on the ammo , not the gun . Better to spend a little more and have a gun that will give you years of fun shooting !

I have to agree with the Ruger MK III & 22/45 with 4+ inch barrel and the Browning Buckmark. They are the only .22lr that I could shoot 'bulk ammo' through, all day long.

I have a Walther P-22, but it only shoots the Primo, HV rounds.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    For a "plinking handgun" a Ruger Single Six w/ both .22lr & .22mag would be my choice! For a target handgun I would lean towards a Browning Buckmark or an older High Standard HD.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Another happy Mark III owner here, I prefer the Standard (5.5 barrel).
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I think it might be worth defining what you consider 'inexpensive' because that's going to determine a lot.

I've got one of these that's older than I am and I think it's a great plinker. I don't think it's expensive either.
    Sub $300 was what I was questioning. I love the idea of a ruger single 10 .22lr, but geeze. Pricey. Has anybody shot anything from chiappa or any similar companies? Currently have a ruger sr22 fyi.
    QKShooter likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a Mark II Bull barrel that I've had for over 25 years. Great gun and reasonably priced. Not sure how the Mark III's measure up to the Mark II's.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links