Tube fed .22 bolt rifle with suppressor

This is a discussion on Tube fed .22 bolt rifle with suppressor within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for a bolt action, tube fed magazine .22 rifle. I intend to put a suppressor on it, the suppressor measures 1.085 inch diameter. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tube fed .22 bolt rifle with suppressor

VIP Member

Tube fed .22 bolt rifle with suppressor

I'm looking for a bolt action, tube fed magazine .22 rifle. I intend to put a suppressor on it, the suppressor measures 1.085 inch diameter. It's questionable in my mind whether I'd be able to remove the tube and reload since I think the edge of the suppressor would block the removal of the mag tube?

I already have a magazine fed .22 and .22 magnum; but would like a tube fed one for .22 as well particularly a bolt gun that will reliably shoot low velocity .22's.

If not available, I could always unscrew the suppressor, reload, then screw the suppressor back on. Any other ideas?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I never considered the suppressor blocking the tune removal. After looking at my .22 bolter, it appears I would have to remove a suppressor if it had one. I can't think of an alternate unless you had a special suppressor made that was grooved on the bottom to allow the tube to slide under it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    There were a few different tube fed guns available that the tube came from the butt end. I cant think of a model number right now but Ill bet our members will come up with it. I know Marlin, and Winchester both made them, probably a few more. its either that or a custom tube with a flexible follower. I knew a guy that built a 200 round snail mag for a tube fed Marlin using a roll of copper tubing and a LONG spring. It worked so going around mild curves is possible. Good luck DR
    Kavalander, OD* and WrongRecroom like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I never considered the suppressor blocking the tune removal. After looking at my .22 bolter, it appears I would have to remove a suppressor if it had one. I can't think of an alternate unless you had a special suppressor made that was grooved on the bottom to allow the tube to slide under it.
    Thanks for looking, the market isn't flooded with tube models designed to take a suppressor. Something tells me I'll just be removing the suppressor to reload it. I could live with that, a mag tube will hold about 20 .22 shorts I think.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    There were a few different tube fed guns available that the tube came from the butt end. I cant think of a model number right now but Ill bet our members will come up with it. I know Marlin, and Winchester both made them, probably a few more.
    Yep, the flex follower would be a likely solution, or the butt end situation. I'll keep looking.

i know you said you wanted a bolt rifle, but what about a lever gun with a feed port?
    you still get a tube fed low profile w/out mags(i'm a fan of tube feds).
    I also am very intrigued about the snail mag @dangerranger mentioned. not to hijack a thread, but does anyone know the legality of doing such a modifcation? assuming i am NOT licensed and also only on the federal level? i'll worry about my state laws.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    i know you said you wanted a bolt rifle, but what about a lever gun with a feed port?
    I also am very intrigued about the snail mag @dangerranger mentioned. not to hijack a thread, but does anyone know the legality of doing such a modifcation? assuming i am NOT licensed and also only on the federal level? i'll worry about my state laws.
    Here in CA it would get you arrested as an illegal manufacturer of hi capacity magazines. Federally I don't remember anything restricting it. Good Luck DR

Nylon 66 butt fed semi auto . Remington made them for years and were fairly accurate.
    Can not remember anything other than that from 15 years of selling guns in Colorado in the 70's and 80's.
    Same basic slide as the under the barrel style, except ammo is inserted lead nose first.
    I have one of each. The semi is butt fed, and the under the barrel is bolt action.
    Happy new year from Oregon in the great northwest. TKH

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpagus View Post
    Nylon 66 butt fed semi auto .
    Thanks, but I was really looking for a bolt gun that I know would feed low velocity .22 reliably.

Remington 66 variants weren't too popular with my shooting pals when we were pups. Now, the collector interest is so strong that I'd have to think VERY carefully before modifying (threading) it to accept a suppressor.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    There were a few different tube fed guns available that the tube came from the butt end. I cant think of a model number right now but Ill bet our members will come up with it. I know Marlin, and Winchester both made them, probably a few more. its either that or a custom tube with a flexible follower. I knew a guy that built a 200 round snail mag for a tube fed Marlin using a roll of copper tubing and a LONG spring. It worked so going around mild curves is possible. Good luck DR
    For 22's that loaded from the butt end, Browning made the Sa-22 up until about 1980, but it was not bolt-action and would not load .22 shorts.

Remington Nylon 66's are tube fed from the butt of the gun.

OD*
    Winchester had the Model 1903, 63 and 74.

gasmitty likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

What about an offset suppressor,it would allow you to unscrew the suppressor 1/2 a turn to remove the tube,once loaded tighten back up and shoot.Like this one

I have my Dads old Semi Auto tube fed 22 it was designed to shoot short/long/long rifle ammo,the cocking liver is a knob and when firing shorts is pushed in to lock the bolt,after each shot knob is pulled out and cycled by hand then pushed back in for next shot,for long/long rifle,knob is left unlocked and bolt operates normally
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post

No fed law agasint a mag like that . Unless you made it full auto or sawed off you should be ok . Heck you can build a class one gun at home I dont see the harm in adding a mag .

but I am not a lawyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links