Project gun

This is a discussion on Project gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me first say that I do not work on guns, my GS usually takes care of any needs that I have. Nevertheless, here lately, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Project gun

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Project gun

Let me first say that I do not work on guns, my GS usually takes care of any needs that I have. Nevertheless, here lately, I have had a inkling to buy gun and try to customize it to my liking. It will be a cheap gun for sure so if I goof it up i'm not out a load of money. I'm trying to decide between doing a .22 rimfire rifle or a pump shotgun. I also want it to be something that not everyone else builds. This lead me to look at the Rem 597 HB and the Stevens 320 security pump ( I also chose these two because I can get them for under $200.00 ). So now, for those of you who have built project guns, which do you think would be easier for a first time build for someone? Thanks for any input that you can provide.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    my two cents is the shotgun. i had a lot of .22's growing up, and we shot them all to death. shot a brand new 10/22 until the bolt cracked. and as those guns fell apart i attempted to fix them, sometimes. i found the tiny pins, and springs, and just small-ness of the .22's to be kind of a challenge.

but i've done the typical stock change/tube extension/optic mount/ kind of stuff to mossberg 500 series guns, rem. 870's, and ONE Winchester 1300. they were all gravy. pump shotguns have big parts and they're easy to work on.

I would take a look at what aftermarket parts are available for each, and make sure that you will be able to build it the way you want.

My suggestion would be to find and old 10/22, or 870, and build them up, since both those models have giant aftermarket support.
    Kavalander and StormRhydr like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Thanks buckeye .45, didn't think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Thanks buckeye .45, didn't think about that.
    One reason that a lot of people do builds with those two platforms, is because there is the aftermarket support. Personally I would do a 10/22 build, as they are more easily customized into whatever you want them to be.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I second the motion for a 10/22.

There are just oodles of them out there, some are priced low for cosmetic reasons, but overall it's tough to actually wear out a 10/22. Plus the aftermarket for 10/22s is 10x what it is for virtually any other .22 rifle.

With the 10/22, set yourself a reasonable goal and a target budget. I'd say maybe $200 over the price of the gun to get you a tight shooter with modest glass, as a f'r instance.

I've got five of those fun guns... more than I need, but they've been a hoot to work on.

And to prime your pump for any rimfire builds, drop on over to RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! for a wealth of information.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have gotten old clunker guns and rebuilt them, then customized them.

My two favorites were the 10/22 and Mossberg 12 ga. I have always used the Mossberg platform for SGs as they meet the Mil-Std, Parts & upgrades for both are easy to find... but I have been issued Rem 870s about 40% of my LE career.
    The Mossberg has gone World-Class, but the Rems haven't attained that status, yet.

I have found refurbishing/rebuilding/upgrading existing firearms much more rewarding the doing 'builds'. And cheaper.... usually.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I used to rebuild FEG Hi-Powers for customers. Fill 'em up with Cylinder & Slide parts, a little filing here and there, some fitting here and there, and people were astounded that a $280 (at the time) copy could be as nice as a Browning after a couple of hundred dollars of parts and labor.

Another favorite of mine was refinishing and refurbing used SIG-Sauers and S&W semi-autos for the newbies in local departments that couldn't afford a new sidearm. They were so happy to get a new looking and operating handgun the buttons on their shirts were about to pop off.

I was glad to do it for them and the money I made went straight to my gun fund.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I guess I would have to start off by deciding just what I wanted my 'project' gun to ultimately be/used for. Having decided that, I would be able to decide on the platform/gauge. Maybe you could look at making an over-under shottie/.22 That would be pretty cool, especially if the .22 was the 'over' and the shottie was the 'under'. Of course, all things can be accomplished with Glenlivet 12 yr Oak Reserve (thanks kids for the present)

Links