.22 For Daughter

This is a discussion on .22 For Daughter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a .22lr handgun for my 12 yo daughter to shoot. She has a Mossberg Plinkster in .22lr and handles that well. Something that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: .22 For Daughter

.22 For Daughter

Looking for a .22lr handgun for my 12 yo daughter to shoot. She has a Mossberg Plinkster in .22lr and handles that well. Something that is reasonably accurate and easy to clean and maintain. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Ruger Sr22 the wife and 13 yr old daughter love it

S&W M&P 22, if you are looking for a semi auto. If you are looking for a revolver, the ruger single six, or single 10
    oneshot and WrongRecroom like this.

Most any Ruger. MkIII, 22/45, etc. I'd suggest at least a 4 inch barrel for some sight radius (accuracy). They shoot the bulk ammo others won't.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I just got a ruger SR22 this afternoon...has interchangable grips to accommodate smaller hands. Lightweight, easy to manipulate, .... would be great for a younger shooter
    CLASS3NH and 2wheelGnnr like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    MKII/III is what I've heard the most on this subject. Never shot one myself though. I like my GSG 1911 but there are better choices if you're not trying to match the 1911 manual of arms.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

I'll go against the grain a wee bit and suggest a Ruger Single Six (or similar single-action .22 revolver).

First off, it's tough to burn up ammo quickly. You get six shots (or 10, if you spring extra $ for the new Single Ten), then you reload. I never found that rapid fire was an important element of teaching a youngster to shoot well. Shoot a string of six, assess the target, make adjustments (stance, grip, sight picture) as required, and repeat. Slow it down, and make the shots count. When Missy starts paying for her own ammo, she may appreciate the economy of this approach. Find joy and achievement in hitting the target, rather than in the number of shots fired.

Second, safety. A single-action revolver requires deliberate cocking to get it ready to shoot; you know by immediate inspection that the gun is cocked; and modern single actions with transfer bars are safely carried with a full cylinder and the hammer down. One trigger pull, one shot - period. Plus, learning early on how to lower the hammer safely on a live round is nearly like riding a bicycle... hard to forget, once you've learned.

Third, the single action trigger is an aid to accuracy for the new shooter. No struggling with a 6-pound DA trigger on a 24-ounce gun... or half-inch trigger stroke required to get the gun to fire. Why make the beginner fight the trigger to get good hits? The SA trigger in general will provide for better success early in the young shooter's career.

Lastly - a SA revolver is about as simple as it gets to clean and maintain. Pop the cylinder out in about 3 seconds, brush the chambers and wipe it down. Run a bore snake through the barrel maybe every couple of bricks (remember, this is a .22 rimfire!), brush off the crud on the frame around the cylinder gap, put the cylinder back in, and you're done.

Just this old curmudgeon's thoughts - YMMV.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Makes so much sense.

first choice, ruger sr-22. second choice, taurus pt22. i trust both of them.
    2wheelGnnr likes this.

I think gasmitty makes some good points. In this "semi auto" dominated world we are in by virtue of perhaps TV crime shows, the revolver gets short shrift. I have an H&R 949. Not the best or worst, but when I shoot it, I take my time. Pull back that hammer and fire (it is also DA but I digress). Also have an SR22, a SW 22a, and 2 MKiii pistols. All very nice shooters.

I will say that the ladies love the little SR22.

I say either signel action 22/22 mag gun or a m&p 22lr with pt22 and sr22 in second place

A Ruger Single Six would be a good choice.

The Ruger Single Six may be too heavy. I have not shot the Ruger Bear Cat but I was thinking it may be less weight for your daughter.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The Beretta NEOS has a very "kid friendly" grip and controls. It's very reasonably priced, maybe the best buy in this genre, as well as easy to maintain, accurate and reliable.
    gen3 and Timetrialsc like this.

VIP Member
    Gasmitty pretty much nailed it. For teach, cleaning and fun shooting a SA revolver is hard to beat. While the Ruger Mark Series guns are fun to shoot, they are not fun to clean.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links