Are you cutting down on number of mags/ammo you need to buy?

This is a discussion on Are you cutting down on number of mags/ammo you need to buy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After all this mess the last months and my fun times trying to find some mags and ammo and way over paying for some of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Are you cutting down on number of mags/ammo you need to buy?

Are you cutting down on number of mags/ammo you need to buy?

After all this mess the last months and my fun times trying to find some mags and ammo and way over paying for some of them ( Bersa plus mags / m&p 12 round and small cal ammo for example ). I have realized that I am tired of hunting down mags and special ammo and such and I am planning on trying to get guns that all used the same mags and ammo . Stick to one or two gun families that used the same mag

Any one else felling the same way or at least taking cost of mags etc into consideration now when you buy a gun ?

It was fun for me for a while to try to find THE mag but I got sick of that fast ..

2. Remove Ads

YUP, gets expensive. I decided to consolidate calibers, but it didn't work out.
    Now, I keep mags, ammo in huge store in .223/5.56, .45acp & 12 ga. Anything outside those 3 are just handy firearms with 2 mags & 500 rds of ammo being sufficient.

I consider my rifles/ Handguns/Shotguns in the above calibers, my 2nd Amend weapons and have ammo & mags accordingly.

40- 30rd mags per AR or subgun, 6 mags per .45acp & 4k shell of combat 12 ga on hand seems adequate for me. Other firearms are just handy guns and no-worries beyond SD on those.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I'm not cutting down on anything gun related.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You will need to choose your SHTF rifle, handgun & SG. Put enough mags/rds away for them. The rest are optional.

My thought is 15k rds of good HP stuff per primary caliber, that don't get touched.

Also, don't blow cheap junk through your 2nd Amend, Anti-Tyranny weapons. Its coming. We now have less rights than under King George's Oppression.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I have not noticed any increase in the price of the magazines I buy, but I have enough for each gun to shoot comfortably so I don't worry it. I haven't bought ammo in well over a year with the exception of a bunch of .22LR that I paid way too much for, and if I run out of that I'll likely just sell the only .22 I own and be done with it. Otherwise, the problem of reloading components has also been taken care of since there simply aren't any available from the sources I choose to buy from...so until product comes back on the market, any 'ammo' money I have will likely go into buying more lead. Oh, I bought a small quantity of .308 just the other night that I forgot about--absolutely absurd prices but I don't see that they've changed all that much. I'd feel more comfortable if I had about 100,000 primers on hand, but then I'd just want twice that. :)
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Just in case the mid-terms don't go our way, I wouldn't stop just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm not cutting down on anything gun related.
    Me neither....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    This is just a lull in the freedom control camp. It will be back with a vengeance and gun and ammo prices will reach new highs. History repeats itself so don't be fooled. Stock up.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I've started cutting down on magazines a bit because I have too many of the darn things. It's just annoying and inconvenient to keep 6+ for every gun. As for ammo, I don't stock range ammo just to stock it. If I find a good price, I buy in bulk. If not, I just get it at the range. SD rounds I try to keep a few boxes of each type because I've gotten picky and you can't always find the good stuff.

Distinguished Member
    That depends on what the reference point is? Did I cut down during the panic? Yes, because I had kept myself prepared so I was ready before it all started. I did slow down on some of my shooting, so replacing stock was all the purchasing I made for the last year. As for mags........like the 30's depression era folks who become hoarders, I went through the first magazine ban and it was very traumatic for me. I will never let that happen again, so I buy LOTS of mags with my weapons. I feel 10 is a minimum if I decide to keep a gun, but get at least 5 with the initial purchase.

Unfortunately, I agree with Exacto, prices will jump again. I think those who want restrictions see 2014 as their last chance for a while to make something happen and they will start pushing again soon.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I am being more selective and thrifty. I have a daughter in college and two more in high school. I owe it them not to spend money on ANYTHING that I know is way over price. For the ones who can, lucky you
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

I'm not cutting down, but I am making some decisions based on logistics. Even then, it is buying firearms that use a caliber I already have, since I'd rather buy mags for ten different types of firearm once than buy ten different types of ammo consistently.

My gun money was exhausted this summer buying up the stuff that got added to MD's ban list as of October 1. So I've massively cut back now, but only because I bought probably a years' worth of stuff in only a couple months.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    This, my friends, is one of the reasons I love revolvers so much !!!!
    Jjxj, emawildcat and CLASS3NH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    My gun money was exhausted this summer buying up the stuff that got added to MD's ban list as of October 1. So I've massively cut back now, but only because I bought probably a years' worth of stuff in only a couple months.
    That has to sucked in stated with bans comeing where you can only hope to get what you need before it all goes .I had the same worries after SH I was putting out wheel guns/lever guns I wanted and looking for stuff I though I could never buy again..

And if you dont mind me asking how bad did Maryland get . Ie is it a fetruere ban or a name ban and what mag limited were you at ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links