Compensator on a .22 pistol....

This is a discussion on Compensator on a .22 pistol.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking about putting a compensator on my Ruger SR22 threaded barrel I got a few days ago. Im not really worried about performance, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By loboleather
  • 2 Post By peckman28

Thread: Compensator on a .22 pistol....

I am thinking about putting a compensator on my Ruger SR22 threaded barrel I got a few days ago. Im not really worried about performance, I just think they look cool. does anyone else have one on their 22 pistol? What brand ? how do you like it? I found one on amazone for 12 bucks that I think I am going to order just because it looks cool
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

GH
    If that's what you want then go for it. I personally wouldn't do it but wouldn't fault anyone for customizing their gun to make it look cool. After all - it's yours.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Over 4 decades ago I spent some time at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit at Fort Benning, GA. One of the events we trained for was International Rapid Fire, using High Standard target pistols in .22 short with integral compensator. I've seen guys who could put ten shots in a postage stamp at 25 yards in 5 or 6 seconds. For that purpose I suspect that High Standard had a good idea with that specific pistol.

For any other purposes I can't imagine a compensator being of any usefulness on a .22 rimfire handgun.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    Over 4 decades ago I spent some time at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit at Fort Benning, GA. One of the events we trained for was International Rapid Fire, using High Standard target pistols in .22 short with integral compensator. I've seen guys who could put ten shots in a postage stamp at 25 yards in 5 or 6 seconds. For that purpose I suspect that High Standard had a good idea with that specific pistol.

For any other purposes I can't imagine a compensator being of any usefulness on a .22 rimfire handgun.
    As I said, it not really for performance, I like the way they look. However, if I got an added benefit from it I wouldnt complain lol.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

The "cool" factor is certainly there, yet (IMHO) compensated .22 pistols are primarily dedicated to serious competition. While the SR22 is a fine handgun, it's certainly a stretch to consider it a "Match" handgun. As long as you're banking on nothing more than the fun-factor, comp away!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The "cool" factor is certainly there, yet (IMHO) compensated .22 pistols are primarily dedicated to serious competition. While the SR22 is a fine handgun, it's certainly a stretch to consider it a "Match" handgun. As long as you're banking on nothing more than the fun-factor, comp away!
    I would never consider it a competition gun.... its to small, to light, and the trigger would need some serious work. It would really only be for the cool factor...
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I would never consider it a competition gun.... its to small, to light, and the trigger would need some serious work. It would really only be for the cool factor...
    My first thought was WHY? But since it isn't an SD gun, and you think it will be cool, make yourself happy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Ex Member
    Roll with it. It's your gun, your money, and your taste. For what it's worth I also think they look cool.

Although this one is a bit more, you get more for your money.
    22 Muzzle Brake, 22/45 "Game Changer" Compensator by TANDEMKROSS
    Granted, it is only for the 22/45 at this time.

When you're buying stuff for a plinker just because it looks cool...all bets are off. Just go for it, especially for only $12. Even if it's a piece of garbage I mean really...who cares? Enjoy it!
    Hopyard and Taurahe like this.

It's yours. Pimp it out.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    The light 22/45 needs it. IMO it is a pistol designed specifically for a suppressor.

The Browning Medalist comes with several different sized compensators, and they make a big difference. After playing with it for years the middle one stays on for me. It's a small edge, but it is an edge. It's a very distant third to a trigger job (1st by far), and an action job.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Links