Thinking about guns

This is a discussion on Thinking about guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own some guns, OK I own a lot of guns, and I have been thinking about the guns that I would not want to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Thinking about guns

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Thinking about guns

I own some guns, OK I own a lot of guns, and I have been thinking about the guns that I would not want to part with should the need arise.

I would want to keep a large caliber bolt action rifle (Browning Gold Medallion in 7mm mag) with a nice scope. This would be for large game or whatever at long distances).

I would want to keep a lever action rifle (Marlin 30/30) for shorter shotss.

I would want to keep a 22LR rifle for small game, pests and plinking.

I would certainly keep a 1911 full frame in .45acp.

I would want to keep a .357 mag (S&W model 66 or 686 with four inch barrels) for various backup or other self defense use.

I would want to keep a small caliber gun for pocket carry (S&W model 36) just because they work.

Let it be noted that I am not considering getting rid of any guns and will likely be buying more but none of us know what the future holds in store for us.

So what would your choices be for your must needs guns?
    LimaCharlie and Aceoky like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The one I will absolutely not give up is my Win 72 .22 that my dad bought as my first gun. Bought it from a hardware store that dealt in gun also.
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My m1 garand, my ar15, my 229, at the very least. A 12 gauge and a 10/22 if I can add.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Some of mine are very similar to your collection. You may want more
    But that should cover your needs.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    my grandfathers .410, my dad made the stock for in his high school wood shop class. still use it to teach my wife and kids to shoot shotguns
    two 12 ga. one for birds, one for HD.
    a combat rifle(of which i have a few)
    a large caliber scoped hunting rifle(of which i have a few)
    a lesser powered hunting rifle w/open sights(my .30/.30)
    a full sized auto handgun
    a concealable handgun(auto or revolver)
    a full size revolver for hunting
    .22 pistol
    .22 rifle

huh, guess i coulnd't really "live" without any of my guns!

My 870, Volquartsen Superlite (.22), Browning Hi-Power (custom .357 Sig), AR (M4 clone), uhhh....oh heck, I wanna' keep 'em all!
    oldman45 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

10/22 (my dad bought it for me when I was 16), AK, Mossberg 500, Glock 19... I would try to keep these as a bare bones collection.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Family guns I take out of the "getting rid of" category. To be honest about it... nothing else I have would hurt me to part with.

Why? Because they are not rare collector guns, they are guns that are what I consider best for their purpose (G 19, or Rem 870), but that I could simply go out and buy again to replace them. They hold no special emotional attachment on me.

Well, OK, thats not entirely true..there is one gun Id want to keep for sentimental value; A Thompson Center New Englander that I put together from a kit. It was the best I could afford at the time, and I have taken a number of deer with it over the years, though I have now retired it. Of course it has little to no value to anyone else, but that one Id like to keep.
    Aceoky and NONAME762 like this.

All of them are needed or I would not have purchased them or except them as gifts or inheritance.
    I not hiding behind hunting my guns are for personal defense and sport shooting . Some people collect art I like fire arms.
    Flexibility my AR's they do it all don't bet me I can't hit it a 500 meters you will lose.
    Long distance m14 and the rem 700's m24
    Front yard the AK
    Living room 12ga or hand gun.
    Other wise what ever I have near by will do.
    I have never sold a weapon that came my way will never do so. They are not listed in a will but each family member knows what is theirs when I am gone.
    Rather than sell a weapon I have to buy another I choose to just save a bit longer and have both. If I run out of room I will just add on to the house.
    NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    im not planning on getting rid of any of my guns. most of my guns were given to me by my dad or other family members. the ones i bought, obviously i bought because i thought i needed them. but if i really had to pick one...it would be one of my 870's, i have like 6 so i guess i could spare one, lol.
    NONAME762 and Jaeger like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

You cant take them as carry on, but you can always check knives. I travel with large knives for my emergency kit whenever I deploy, and have checked them through for camping trips too with no problem. Once you get to destination, transfer it over to your person.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    . I have never sold a weapon that came my way will never do so. They are not listed in a will but each family member knows what is theirs when I am gone..
    Please put it in writing. I have seen in many families the things that went elsewhere. In my wife's family, there were things that were understood would go to certain members. After her parents death, things just disappeared. Once you are gone, the civility between heirs is gone. It becomes first one there gets first choice. I worked more than one case where a family member either stabbed or shot a sibling over something that a parent wanted a certain person to get.

Making a will only insures the in-fighting will be kept at a minimum but lets you have some control over who gets what from the grave.
    iblearning and kaikane0812 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I own some guns, OK I own a lot of guns, and I have been thinking about the guns that I would not want to part with should the need arise.

I would want to keep a large caliber bolt action rifle (Browning Gold Medallion in 7mm mag) with a nice scope. This would be for large game or whatever at long distances).

I would want to keep a lever action rifle (Marlin 30/30) for shorter shotss.

I would want to keep a 22LR rifle for small game, pests and plinking.

I would certainly keep a 1911 full frame in .45acp.

I would want to keep a .357 mag (S&W model 66 or 686 with four inch barrels) for various backup or other self defense use.

I would want to keep a small caliber gun for pocket carry (S&W model 36) just because they work.

Let it be noted that I am not considering getting rid of any guns and will likely be buying more but none of us know what the future holds in store for us.

So what would your choices be for your must needs guns?
    If I kept all of my guns (including my wife's pistol) I'd still have less than your bare bones collection. So, I'll just keep all of mine.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I probably don't really NEED any of them other than my defensive handgun and my old Marlin .30-30 to provide me with tasty deer products. Man, how boring that would be though...

I wouldn't get rid of anything that I paid much less to buy than current market value....which is pretty much everything I own (purchased long ago), with the exception of 2 guns purchased this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links