How long is too long to wait on a gunsmith? *****UPDATED******

This is a discussion on How long is too long to wait on a gunsmith? *****UPDATED****** within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So heres the short story..... I dropped my springfield 1911 off with my usual gunsmith back in october to have some wilson combat small parts ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How long is too long to wait on a gunsmith? *****UPDATED******

How long is too long to wait on a gunsmith? *****UPDATED******

So heres the short story.....
    I dropped my springfield 1911 off with my usual gunsmith back in october to have some wilson combat small parts installed, nothing fancy. When I dropped it off, I was given a time line of three weeks. I have spoken to him several times since then, and everytime I was given the same answer..... that he was halfway finished with it but was busy moving the shop to a new location, and it was disassembled and waiting to be finished. The last time i talked to him it was still waiting to be finished. Needless to say I am getting frustated with him. I was hoping my calls would motivate him , but it does not seem to have worked. We are going on 4 months at this ....

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to handle this, or am I over reacting?

*****UPDATE******

So I emailed the smith who has my gun last night. I emailed him last night and simply asked if he could give me an update on my gun, as it was going on three months in his shop. well, he responded to me today and said that it was nearly finished and that he would finish it up today and let me know when it was done, so I should have it back in the next several days.
    Last edited by Taurahe; January 2nd, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Have you gone to see him?

4 month is way to longto put some parts in like that .

That's ridiculous. I'd tell him I want the gun back disassembled. Assuming the parts are plug and play and don't need any fitting, you should be able to do it yourself.

The good thing about 1911s is that they are easy to take apart and put together. The first time I did a full disassembly and reassembly, it took less than an hour. There are lots of good YouTube videos showing you what to do.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

I took my 1911 to a busy shop to have some parts fitted, and it was a two week turnaround. If I was in your shoes, I'd be demanding either my unfinished gun back with no payment, or my finished gun back with a heavily discounted payment.

There is one that's really good not far from me.He does good work,but he is slow.I guess that's why he is slow.Well that and has a good business.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Phone call may work.

Timely topic because here in Massachusetts, gunsmiths are far and few and the one I go to usually does my stuff in a week (I'm a very good customer....).
    But just last week I ran into a coworker who when he found out that I knew this gunsmith asked if I could see when a piece he left months ago could get finished. He had tried to call the gunsmith a bunch of times but this guy is notorious for not answering his phone or retuning calls and he has erratic shop hours.
    I stopped by his shop and I asked and found out he's had this guys rifle since September!!! Promised me he finish the guys rifle by the end of this week. But boy, four months is ridiculous.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Phone call may work.
    I have spoke with him on the phone several times now... I hoped calling him would motivate hime...but alas....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Go to his shop and bother him about it.
    BugDude and ctr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I have spoke with him on the phone several times now... I hoped calling him would motivate hime...but alas....
    It sucks when you feel like your being put on back burner. Tell him he needs to either give a good explanation on why it's taking so long or your prepaired to stop doing business with him. There should be other shops in Indianapolis

Took 6 months to get my Garand fixed at one shop, and 3 months to have a barrel fitted on a 1911 at another. In defense of both shops, it was winter time which is "high season" out here in AZ with a lot of big matches going on.

When I dropped off the Garand, I told the 'smith "I'm not in a rush for it." He looked me in the eye and said, "The two things you never tell a gunsmith are 'I'm not in a rush for it' and 'I'm not worried about the cost.'" Good advice!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In my experience, the better the gunsmith, the longer the wait.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

"Eyewitness Wants To Know"

Senior Moderator
    Its a fact that "the squeaking wheel gets the oil".

Call him about twice a week. Be polite and cordial. Engage in pleasant conversation. Very casually ask about the gun.

About the fourth time you do that, he will finish your gun just to keep you from bothering him.
    AmmoFan01 and pgrass101 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If it were me, I'd go see him. Hang out a while talking about random stuff, ask him a lot of questions. Do this a couple times a week. Once I've had enough, I'd take my 5 year old son down there with me. The guy would not only give me my gun back in a hurry, he may actually pay me to leave if I promised never to bring him back. You've got to give him a good reason to get you gone.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links