Taking people out shooting for their first time

This is a discussion on Taking people out shooting for their first time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How often do you take people shooting for their first time? The two weeks Ive gone three times, taking three different groups of people out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Taking people out shooting for their first time

How often do you take people shooting for their first time? The two weeks Ive gone three times, taking three different groups of people out for their first time. Its a pretty cool feeling. First was a friend of mine who isnt exactly pro-gun. He had never shot a gun and is pretty afraid of them. He fired all kinds of stuff, and enjoyed it. My other friend was back from the military for Christmas, and he wanted to go. He has only shot his issued M4 a few times (he works behind a desk) to qualify, but had never fired anything else and isnt very familiar with guns. His brother and younger sister came along. They have never fired a gun, so I taught them some basic gun safety, range etiquette, and battery of arms on a few of my guns. They all had a blast. His brother and sister loved going shooting, and they said they would definitely want to go do it again, and buy guns of their own.

Today, I took some girls I know to the range. Neither had ever fired a gun, and had never even really been around guns until today. Last weekend I was at a party with my friend from the military, and was talking to his brother and sister about shooting after we were at the range earlier in the day. These two other girls I know heard about it and asked if id take them. Ive known then for a while, but we have never been shooting together. Today was the day, and of course I went over all the same things.

Picked it up real quick. Good firing grip, finger stayed off the trigger, and actually had a real easy time loading all the mags after I showed them how. In the picture, you can see her trying to load the AK47 for the first time and holding the mag backwards when she picked it up. Pretty funny stuff.

Started them on small guns first. A Ruger 10/22 made a tiny sound and had no recoil. Then stepped up to a SR22. They each bought a box of 9mm, and both finished off their boxes out of my Glock 17. Luckily one of them only ended up with two hot casings down the front of her shirt (apparently she didnt see my text about not wearing low cut shirts... And to be honest, Im kind of glad. ). Then up to the AK-47, then they both even wanted to shoot my 12ga. I didnt push them to shoot anything, and sort of over-exagerated the amount of recoil they were going to feel on each gun so they would be ready for it, and it worked. Each time, the response was "Oh yeah, I can take that". The slugs and 00 buck obviously have a good amount of recoil, so I made sure they knew what they were getting into, but they both loved the big guns and all the recoil. I started them on a real light, low brass #8 birdshot, and then they worked up to a #4, then 00 buck, then a slug. Pretty impressive for a couple girls who are 5' tall and could blow away in a strong breeze.

Either way, it was a great time at the range, and its great bringing new shooters into the world of shooting. Its been costing me money I dont have, and using ammo that I shouldnt be shooting, but whatever... Knowing that people have a good experience their first time is what its about. Especially since one of the girls today is/was super afraid of guns, its good knowing that her opinion has changed for the better on them. A few weeks ago, she was pretty anti-gun, but I think after today she has a healthy respect for them, and not a "fear".

If you want to change public opinion on firearms, people need to be educated and see how this stuff works first-hand. It may cost you a little money on ammo to get them to the range if the range doesnt have calibers youre going to be shooting, but think of it as an investment. We can change public opinion, but we have to do it one person at a time. The best way is through experience and education. Anyway, this is a wall-o-text, Im sure, but I had a great time at the range bringing these new shooters out. I only put maybe 20 rounds down range all day (just a few of each caliber for them to see the recoil/sound before they shot it themselves), but honestly, I think showing new people how to shoot is as much fun as shooting the guns yourself.

How often do you bring new shooters out?

Heres some pics that they took and one they had me take of them, after they sent them to me.

Were you shooting at FFA in NPR? They look like they enjoyed it. Before anyone asks, I'm pretty sure they're 21+ they look young haha.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

It is exhilarating to have friends who heard so many negative things concerning guns to go to the range & enjoy themselves & form their own opinion.
    Chuck808 likes this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by saigaguy View Post
    Were you shooting at FFA in NPR? They look like they enjoyed it. Before anyone asks, I'm pretty sure they're 21+ they look young haha.
    Sure was FFA. If you ever want to come out and shoot, let me know. Id love to put a few rounds through your Sig. Ive never shot one of those before.

I've only had the opportunity to take a new shooter out on a couple occassions. The most recent was over Thanksgiving when a bunch of family went to my Grandpa's in northern Wisconsin. One of my aunt's had never shot a firearm so I offered to let her try mine. I started her on the Marlin Model 60, then my wife's Bersa Thunder .380, and finally my BP9CC. She had a blast and said "I can see why someone would want to get into this." lol You're right, it's almost as much fun teaching a new shooter to shoot as it is to do the shooting yourself!
    Chuck808 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Last time was taking my son (5 years old at the time) to the range for his first time. He cant wait to do it again.
    Took my 5-year old shooting
    Chuck808 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

As I've posted elsewhere, I took my wife and kids shooting for the first time around a year ago. My kids loved it. My wife was a little overwhelmed but we just went shooting again, outdoors, and she fired a .22 rifle and a S&W Model 60 revolver. She seemed more comfortable this time. It is a lot of fun to teach new shooters, but it's also a little overwhelming making sure they stay safe and follow the rules.
    DJC7 and Chuck808 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Love to take people shooting . Just keep it safe and simple, slow moving , patience and one at a time .
    Works for me, when there are a few of us who shoot regularly we practice drills and runnin and gunnin!
    Chuck808 likes this.

Yeah, its tough going between multiple people and making sure they are handling the guns safely, keeping them pointed downrange, loading them properly, etc. But luckily all the people Ive gone with have been great with all that stuff.
    357and40 likes this.

Looks like they had a great time !!!! Feel free to take me shooting too, you have some nice toys... I will pretend I dont know what im doing if you want lol....
    welder516 and Chuck808 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I've only taken a few new shooters to the range, but they all love it.

My family from Canada visit rarely but always request a range visit with me. They can't shoot worth a darn but you gotta see the smiles!
    Chuck808 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have taught 100's of Boy Scouts and people from church. I always start and end with the 4 rules of gun safety. I really like teaching at an outdoor range, but any is good to get new shooters going. I like outdoors because I can introduce shotguns into the mix. I love watching a kid break a clay pigeon setting out about 20 yards on the ground. Then when they get use to it, throwing a slow moving bird and watching them make orange powder. Usually after that they are hooked. Keep up teaching newbies, THEY VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chuck808 and ShooterGranny like this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

My buddy who first took me shooting Nov 2012. Video recorded the session. My first taste of a semi was shooting his Ruger LC9. Target wise I shot it very well. He just wanted me to be safe and have fun, so he really didn't drill me too much on my grip. The first sequence with the LC9 is painful for me to watch. I thought i did real well with his Ruger SR40C (My gun of choice to carry now). It was a fun two hours for a first time experience. (He even supplied the Ammo and guns i just paid for the range time)
    Chuck808 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    How often do you take people shooting for their first time? The two weeks Ive gone three times, taking three different groups of people out for their first time. Its a pretty cool feeling.
    THAT is Community Service at its finest! Keep up the good work.

Yes, I've taken new shooters out also, but not anywhere as many as I wish I could have.
    Chuck808 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I do every opportunity...but apparently that's not nearly as often as you. Keep that stuff up!
    Chuck808 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links