New Range Today

New Range Today

This is a discussion on New Range Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A new range opened not far from me and I got to check it out today. Very nice. Florida Firearms Academy on HWY 19 in ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By BigJon10125

Thread: New Range Today

New Range Today

A new range opened not far from me and I got to check it out today. Very nice. Florida Firearms Academy on HWY 19 in New Port Richey, FL. Florida Firearms Academy | Tampa Gun Store | Indoor Range

Cool people and a nice set up. $15 for as long as you want and they have memberships for $195 / year. I went by myself, so it was some perfect "Me" time.

I got a chance to shoot the Erma KGP68 .380 my buddy gave me and I quickly ascertained it feeds flat nosed 380 fine but round nose jammed every time. It also shoots significantly high and left. Like, on a silhouette target aiming COM I was hitting the right shoulder every time. The grouping was great, very tight, and amazingly consistent, just way high and left. My Bersa Thunder CC was dead on, as was my XD40sc and Browning Buckmark, so I'm inclined to believe it wasn't just me. I also figured out the after market magazines were worthless and only the original one was functional. It's a neat shooting little gun, but just a novelty really.

The Bersa Thunder CC is an amazingly accurate little 380. I had a couple of jams with it, which is highly unusual. I'll have to put a good cleaning on it and take it back next trip. It's such an awesome shooting gun, from 12 yards it's like painting with a brush.

The XD40sc is my main carry gun and the pistol I shoot the best of all of mine. I was putting shots wherever I wanted at will moving all around the target to different points. An off duty LEO was standing behind me while I shot and when I turned around to throw the empty box away he pointed at my target and the XD on the bench and gave me 2 thumbs up.

I then broke out my Mossberg 500 pump with folding stock and tac light. I put some minishells through it and I had a VERY difficult time with it not wanting to cycle those at all. So next were some 3" Magnum 00 Buck. The rest of the range went quiet when I started shooting those. After 5 rounds my shoulder felt like it was going to burst. Then shot some 2.75" "Low Recoil" 00 Buck rounds and they weren't much better. That Butler Creek folding stock makes the recoil brutal. Might have to switch it back to the factory stock.

Lastly was about 300 rounds with my Browning Buckmark. last range trip I got the adjustable sights dialed in, so I ran the target out to 25 yards. I took my time and really concentrated and hit the circle (about the size of a 50 cent piece) 8 out of 10. I ran the targets in and out to different distances and used 2" post-it notes and little black dots that you use to cover holes in shoot-n-see targets as targets. I alternated slow deliberate shooting at some distances and faster shooting at others. I also alternated targets between shots to practice target acquisition on varying targets. This little gun is one of the most valuable practice tools I have and is absolutely the most fun!!! Great for working on fundamentals and shooting at very small targets at longer distances it tells on you if you are off just a little.

So, after several hours I was done. I talked to them about a time I could bring my 5 year old son in to shoot 22s and they were very helpful and accommodating in working with me to find a good time when they're not busy. He's showing an interest and I'd like to get him started. His Mom thinks he is too small and spastic, but if I take him sometime when it's empty and we stick to a short session that will fit his attention span, I think he'll do fine. I believe in taking the mystery out and teaching them right from the very beginning. I started m daughter when she was 7, and she wasn't spastic. I'll just have to make sure he's not all jacked up on sugar or over stimulated before we go.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sounds like a productive day.

Just remember, the average attention span of a five year old is about fifteen minutes.

Sounds like a great day!!

A little advice; since you are down there in Fla, if you see a red headed guy, that acts kinda goofy carrying around an arsenal, steer clear. Word has it he's an OldVet and is not quite right:)

But I'm glad you have a good place to go shoot. That's important.
    WHEC724, gasmitty and Brent95 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sounds like a darn fine time. Let us know how it goes with the boy.

Oh Cmon now we know OldVet doesn't leave the house!
    glockman10mm and WHEC724 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'd take that day!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

I'm going to miss that range when I move from Holiday down to St. Pete! Hope I can get a couple more range sessions in there before I move on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    I'm going to miss that range when I move from Holiday down to St. Pete! Hope I can get a couple more range sessions in there before I move on down the road.
    PM me and let me know when you might be able to go next and I'll meet you there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Best day ever is at the range.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Sometimes it's nice to go to one by yourself..It makes a difference when you have friendly people working it,like the OP mentioned. The indoor range i go to,opened up a couple of years ago.I thought maybe they were a bit steep on their fees,but it's 20.00 all day and 200.00 a year for membership.I guess it's not so bad.

Sponsored Links