Who knows anything about 6.8 spc

This is a discussion on Who knows anything about 6.8 spc within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive been looking for alternatives to 5.56 and am coming across a number of articles about 6.8spc uppers for my AR. Does anybody have any ...

Thread: Who knows anything about 6.8 spc

Who knows anything about 6.8 spc

Ive been looking for alternatives to 5.56 and am coming across a number of articles about 6.8spc uppers for my AR. Does anybody have any good info about it.

Specifically I'm looking for differences between 6.8 spc and 6.8 spcII. Whats the difference between those, if I'm trying to go with a single new upper, should I look for one or the other. Any reloading tips for either. And any general good to know info about the round as well.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

What is your desired purpose?

If I was going to do an AR in something besides 5.56, it would be .300 Blackout. You can use the same bolt, same mags, ect..., just a different barrel, and the rounds are made from 5.56 brass.

The 6.8 seems to be having issues catching on. I don't recall if it is the 6.5 or 6.8, but one of them says you can use normal AR mags, what is left out is that is greatly reduces the capacity.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

[QUOTE=
    If I was going to do an AR in something besides 5.56, it would be .300 Blackout. You can use the same bolt, same mags, ect..., just a different barrel, and the rounds are made from 5.56 brass. [/QUOTE]

Totally Agree.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    What is your desired purpose?

If I was going to do an AR in something besides 5.56, it would be .300 Blackout. You can use the same bolt, same mags, ect..., just a different barrel, and the rounds are made from 5.56 brass.

The 6.8 seems to be having issues catching on. I don't recall if it is the 6.5 or 6.8, but one of them says you can use normal AR mags, what is left out is that is greatly reduces the capacity.
    Mainly as an alternative hunting round. I am limited in how many firearms I can own by the wife. I figured this might be a good loophole to get something else I can use besides my 03a3 which I don't want to modify for a scope.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

"There are currently 4 different chambers for the 6.8 SPC which yield different results. They are:

The original SAAMI Specifications
    SPC II
    6.8x43mm (renamed 6.8 ARP)(DMR has been replaced by 6.8x43/6.8 ARP,both are/were created by AR Performance.)
    Noveske Mod 1 designed by Noveske Rifleworks LLC.

Chamber specifications 3. and 4. are proprietary. Only the rifles chambered with the newer specified chamber (6.8mm Spec II, Noveske Mod 1 and 6.8 ARP chambers) can safely use the higher pressure tactical and near max-maximum handloaded ammunition. Those rifles using the Original SAAMI specs should only be used with the standard commercial cartridge pressure (Specified by SAAMI).
    "

Also from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout

Looks like 300 Blackout approximates the performanc of the 7.62 x 39 round. That along with being able to use original magazines and all would seem to make it preferable.

Get the II barrel, it will handle any of the 6.8 rounds which is a far better round than the 5.56. ON THE OTHER HAND, finding ammo in a bad situation may be an issue. The 6.5 Grendel really shines out beyond 500 yards and it beats the .308 past 700 yards. Both use the standard AR-15 magazines BUT with DIFFERENT followers and yes, capacity is reduced. I've thought about the Blackout, but the ballistics really suck past 150 yards and since I don't have a suppressor I don't see the point in it for me.

I have a 6.8 SPC upper on one of my Colts. I took three nice white tail bucks so far this year at 125-180 yds. I think it is a great cartridge for medium size game. (Or defense). I find the ballistics to between the 5.56 and the .308. Nice thing is the weight of the AR15 vs AR10.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45 View Post
    Get the II barrel, it will handle any of the 6.8 rounds which is a far better round than the 5.56. ON THE OTHER HAND, finding ammo in a bad situation may be an issue. The 6.5 Grendel really shines out beyond 500 yards and it beats the .308 past 700 yards. Both use the standard AR-15 magazines BUT with DIFFERENT followers and yes, capacity is reduced. I've thought about the Blackout, but the ballistics really suck past 150 yards and since I don't have a suppressor I don't see the point in it for me.
    That's one of the reasons I'm looking for an upper. I do understand it might be hard to find ammo however once I get my hands on some brass and bullets I don't mind reloading it. I can also hang on to the 5.56 upper that I already have for general plinking fun.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    A couple of AR lowers I just got in from Shadow Ops. One is a 6.8SPC marked lower.

DSCF8357.JPG DSCF8353.JPG
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links