man shoots at shoplifter at arrowhead mall today.justified?

This is a discussion on man shoots at shoplifter at arrowhead mall today.justified? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man shoots at armed shoplifting suspect outside Arrowhead Towne Center | azfamily.com Phoenix...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: man shoots at shoplifter at arrowhead mall today.justified?

2. Remove Ads

Shoplifter pulled a gun first and looked about to shoot an employee. Seems justified to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I really agree, since the shooter fired toward a crowded mall and his life was never in danger. not really enough info, yet. My opinion is he may be charged, thoughts?
    mr.stuart and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wasn't there but it works for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

as soon as a bg pulls a gun and points it at anyone shooting is justified. you never know if they may try to kill witnesses. firing toward a crowd is never good idea but I think you may have a bit of tunnel vision when your adrenaline is pumping like that.
    molleur, gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member
    He said he was in fear for his wife's safety because she was close to where the woman had her gun out and pointed. At least that is what was in the article. We never can tell what is the absolute truth when it comes to reported stories, can we?
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If Arizona is a state that allows the use of deadly force to protect the life of an innocent third party who is being threatened with deadly force, then It would be justified. I don't see where the security guard was contributing to the escalation of the event, he was conducting himself in an official capacity, unarmed, when threatened with deadly force. The unsub's were also a threat to anyone else who might have been present in or around the general area. My vote is that the person was justified in rendering aid to those in danger of loss of life.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

CC guy was not shooting at a shoplifter. He was shooting at a criminal pointing a gun at store security, and putting his wife at risk, in the process. Justified.

Distinguished Member
    Guess it turned out OK. Not much info for me to make a decision on his actions. He had no way of knowing if the woman would have fired her weapon, but she had drawn it and aimed. Appears he was reasonable in attempting to defend his wife and the store employee. Be interesting to find out if either one of the alleged thieves were hit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    CC guy was not shooting at a shoplifter. He was shooting at a criminal pointing a gun at store security, and putting his wife at risk, in the process. Justified.
    Yep..Sometimes folks have a hard time with this type of shooting because it does not directly involve there "me and mine" attitude......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Not sure I really agree, since the shooter fired toward a crowded mall and his life was never in danger. not really enough info, yet. My opinion is he may be charged, thoughts?
    That's not the way it works, his life doesn't have to be in dangers. Anybody's life has to be in danger. Armed robbery in general is usually considered enough all by itself to consider someone's life in imminent danger. By definition you're threatening lethal force if your felonious demands aren't met.

The shoplifter pulled a gun? He's fair game then.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Guess it turned out OK. Not much info for me to make a decision on his actions. He had no way of knowing if the woman would have fired her weapon, but she had drawn it and aimed. Appears he was reasonable in attempting to defend his wife and the store employee. Be interesting to find out if either one of the alleged thieves were hit.
    I'm guessing that since they only rode that motorcycle across the street someone was feeling poorly.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I agree. Shooter not directly threatened, an unknown number of shots fired. Up here, a CC is responsible for every round, from the time he loads it into a mag or cylinder, till it impacts down range. Shoot an innocent bystander and you'll be going inside along with Mr. Bad Guy, regardless of good intentions.
    gatorbait51 and DrDP6 like this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    There are many shopping malls that hire armed loss prevention personnel for the entire mall,not just one store. Chasing a thief without a weapon is risky business. I saw one of these guys,who was armed,arrest a lady in 2010. It is hard to tell how much of this story is true,so far as the wife being in danger. It is great that no innocent people were injured.
    gatorbait51 and DrDP6 like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links