Which 45 glock to buy?

This is a discussion on Which 45 glock to buy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should I start with the full size and then get a sub compact or does it matter ? And on 45 glocks gen 3 or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which 45 glock to buy?

Which 45 glock to buy?

Should I start with the full size and then get a sub compact or does it matter ?

And on 45 glocks gen 3 or 4 what would be better ( I know gen 4 40 cals are better not sure 45) ?

And finally 30 or I was thinking the 30s that is just the 30 with a thinner slide right ?

I have fired 45s before double stacks polmore guns ( had to put a wrap on it a bit of kick)but no 45 glocks . '

I have fired 9mm glocks and like the amount of control I had and was thinking of trying the 45 as I have the ammo for it. I was almost thinking 40cal but I dont want to have to stock up on yet another brand of bullets.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

If I had to have a Glock it would be a 30SF.
    WHEC724 and rugergunner like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    If I had to have a Glock it would be a 30SF.
    Mine if I ask why ? What makes the SF better ? From what I remember it was made for smaller hands . I should note I have bigger hands that was my worry and why I was thinking 30 or 30s as I have handled the 26 and it seems to fit and fire great for me ..

Thanks for the input

And I should add as this point unless the 36 is something great was not thinking that as I have full size 21 mags and rather not have to buy too many new mags

I love my G21, I was shooting it in IDPA today. Very accurate, even if i'm not.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I rented a 36, a 30 and a 30SF when I was looking for a .45 EDC (that ultimately ended up being a S&W M &P 45c) and the 30SF was the one that felt best in my hand. The 36 was okay, but it just isn't small enough for me to justify choosing it over the double stack 30SF.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have medium-sized hands at best and have a G30, and it does have a substantial sized grip--but nothing I can't overcome. I've held the 30SF and didn't notice any noticeable difference, but others do so it may just be my hand size. The SF difference is only in the trigger reach dimension, not height or width. I don't see where the 30S would be more "concealable" with a G36 size slide as in my experience the slide width has little to do with concealment ability. It's the frame and grip that is an issue to me, and the 30 S grips is the same as the SF, which is virtually the same as the 30.

As for a full size G21, the only advantage I see is increased capacity, and I have a G21 magazine I use for HD. The G21 might have an accuracy edge at longer ranges, but not at expected shorter SD range, or at least not to me. And for most, you lose the CC ability with a G21.

I'd suggest at least handling all three of the G30 models to see how the fit and weight differences feel to you. Only you can decide that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I rented a 36, a 30 and a 30SF when I was looking for a .45 EDC (that ultimately ended up being a S&W M &P 45c) and the 30SF was the one that felt best in my hand. The 36 was okay, but it just isn't small enough for me to justify choosing it over the double stack 30SF.

I see cool . The 30s just came on the market that was what I was wondering thanks .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    I love my G21, I was shooting it in IDPA today. Very accurate, even if i'm not.

Sara Lou
    Does that mean when you miss, the G21 still corrects and scores anyhow?
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'm carrying a Gen3 G30SF as I type this. Not too big, not too small, just right.

I have no experience with the Gen4's. The G30S doesn't make all that much sense to me, as it still has the G30SF frame, which is wider than the slide. I agree with Brad426 in that the G36 was not thin enough to justify the reduced capacity to me.

With the G30SF, throw in a G21 mag, and you have a good home defense gun. Throw in a G20 barrel, recoil spring and mag, and you've got a nice 10mm to carry in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm carrying a Gen3 G30SF as I type this. Not too big, not too small, just right.

I have no experience with the Gen4's. The G30S doesn't make all that much sense to me, as it still has the G30SF frame, which is wider than the slide. I agree with Brad426 in that the G36 was not thin enough to justify the reduced capacity to me.

With the G30SF, throw in a G21 mag, and you have a good home defense gun. Throw in a G20 barrel, recoil spring and mag, and you've got a nice 10mm to carry in the woods.

So you can go from 45 to 10mm ? I did not know that I though maybe 10mm to 45 .. I been thinking about a 10mm so this be a nice options . Thansk

So it is sounding like the 30sf is the one to try for the compact. How does it feel to say a 26 ?I know it would be thicker but the grips and feel about the same that is what was looking at ..

Thanks so much

I own the G30s... Love it for concealment & it's a GREAT .45 ACP... But then it's a Glock & does NOT disappoints.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

VIP Member
    I own the 21, 30 and a 26.

I carry the 30 and the 26.

I shoot the 30 better than the 21 and have yet to figure out why.

It's a fantastic firearm and you won't be disappointed with whichever one you choose.

If I were going to get a Glock...wait a minute, I already have 6 of them. The .45 choice is only a good choice if you would prefer to give the very best to BGs.
    I have both 9mm and .45 Glocks. The '36' has the thinnest grip, but when carrying the '30' ALL DAY, I can notice the difference in weight from my lighter/thinner '36'.
    With an extra mag, I have no concerns with the 6 + 1 in my Glock-36.
    rugerista likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Get the Gen 4 Glock 30.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    I carry a 26. Gramps mostly carries a 30. I shot his gun one time when we got to the range for a match and I found that I hadn't packed my gun in my range bag (DUH), and it is a dream. No recoil problems with it. With a 3.5 lb trigger it practically shoots itself. Because of problems with arthritis in shoulders and hands I have to use 9mm on a regular basis, but I do love that little 30!

Can't tell you anything at all about the gen 4's.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links