Will you buy a gun with a internal lock? Or what other features will stop you?

This is a discussion on Will you buy a gun with a internal lock? Or what other features will stop you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Simply really I am wondering how many of you will not buy a gun you want as it has a internal lock or ? For ...

View Poll Results: Would you buy a gun with internal lock

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

56 47.46%
  • no

62 52.54%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Will you buy a gun with a internal lock? Or what other features will stop you?

Simply really I am wondering how many of you will not buy a gun you want as it has a internal lock or ?

For me lci either mag disconnected are a big sticking point too but unless you get a gun that has a lot of cop used or was made for a non free state (IE CA) you can usually avoid them.

But for me I have probable not bought any guns that had a lock unless there was some crapo 22 plinker that would not be carried .

And yes I know that some internal locks are better then others and the failure rater for most is low . But I just dont like them .

I guess if I had kids or the such maybe I look more into them.

What say you all?
    Aceoky likes this.

I have a couple j frames, a Model 60 and a Model 442. They have locks.

While I'm not a big fan of locks, and certainly would never use them, they don't scare me.

If you have guns, get a safe. Bring your kids up right so that there is no TV induced curiosity. Keep your guns with you or in the safe, and you'll never need the Clinton lock.

VIP Member
    I voted 'yes' only because it's hard to find some models that don't have them. I do hate internal locks, though.
    Brad426, WINTEJER000 and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I have a couple j frames, a Model 60 and a Model 442. They have locks.

While I'm not a big fan of locks, and certainly would never use them, they don't scare me.

If you have guns, get a safe. Bring your kids up right so that there is no TV induced curiosity. Keep your guns with you or in the safe, and you'll never need the Clinton lock.
    Yeah I always follow the not on me in a safe drill. But the stories I have heard from armorer about the s&w locks made me worried .

At least s&w is making a 442 no lock model now .

Do you carry the locking keys with you in case of failure?
    stylus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I voted 'yes' only because it's hard to find some models that don't have them. I do hate internal locks, though.
    Yeah same here . It is a pain as you have to find the older guns and of course the price is higher on them as they are more 'special' as there is no lock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Yeah I always follow the not on me in a safe drill. But the stories I have heard from armorer about the s&w locks made me worried .

I have a SW lock key on my keyring, but if the gun fails when I need it, I am probably screwed. The lock is not a quick release, and is designed for safe storage, and not safe carry.
    nechaev likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    What WHEC said.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I purchased a Bersa BP9CC which has the internal lock and the mag disconnect. So I voted "yes".
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

No. I imagine the keys (which I haven't even looked at) are still in the boxes.

Yeah, I've heard the horror stories about the guns locking up. They may even be true. But I don't worry about it, or I'd have never bought the guns. Even if I did carry the keys, if the gun locks up in a fight I won't have the time to fiddle with the damn things, and it's probably all over.

Simply really I am wondering how many of you will not buy a gun you want as it has a internal lock or ?

For me lci either mag disconnected are a big sticking point too but unless you get a gun that has a lot of cop used or was made for a non free state (IE CA) you can usually avoid them.

But for me I have probable not bought any guns that had a lock unless there was some crapo 22 plinker that would not be carried .

And yes I know that some internal locks are better then others and the failure rater for most is low . But I just dont like them .

I guess if I had kids or the such maybe I look more into them.

What say you all?
    An internal lock? I don't even like manual safetys.

Distinguished Member
    I also have an S&W Airweight with the internal lock. I don't use it and it has not yet worried me. Several hundred rounds fired and it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I don't like them at all, and I wish they weren't there. However, I have a few that have it so I had to vote yes. They're still a scam.

Lock fell off my PC629?
    Aceoky and OD* like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I have S&Ws with internal locks and carry a key on my key ring just in case. I have never needed it including with many rounds through both a 5" and 8 3/8" S&W 460 magnum.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't concern myself with internal locks as they'll never be used. If you remove everything in a gun that can possibly break, you've got a paperweight. But given the choice between a lock and no-lock model, I'll take the non-lock model.
    multistage and Wolf357 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links