Too cold to shoot?

This is a discussion on Too cold to shoot? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was out at the range this afternoon trying out some hand loads in my MK-25, it was snowing and the temperature was 10 degrees ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Too cold to shoot?

Too cold to shoot?

I was out at the range this afternoon trying out some hand loads in my MK-25, it was snowing and the temperature was 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I made it all the way through about 40 test loads and had started plinking with some factory loads.

All of a sudden the slide locked closed (in battery??). I could not rack the slide except for a couple times. One time it ejected the round in the chamber and then finally it racked and I engaged the slide lock. When I got home, warmer of course, I had no problem racking the slide and ejecting some snap caps.

I use Frog Lube. Could it have just been too cold?

John

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not if you were shooting already. The firing would have warmed up the gun. If you said it locked up on the first shots, maybe. Switch to something synthetic (like Mobil 1) and give it a try in the cold. If it locks up again, it's not the lube.
    WrongRecroom and 5lima30ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The website says it's "designed for arctic temperatures," so I would hope 10 above is no problem.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quite possibly!

When it gets that cold, oil- and grease-type lubes just thicken up and may provide nearly the same resistance as sand or dirt does in a gun's action at normal temps. Your gun's (assuming your MK-25 is a Sig P226) slide-to-frame clearances should actually open up as temps decrease, so that's not a likely cause.

When I lived in New England I was fond of late-season bird hunting, when the cold kept most other hunters indoors. This is when I found out my autoloading shotgun didn't like RemOil when temps went below about 15F or so, and it actually functioned better with either an industrial dry lube or no lube at all.

If you have another opportunity to shoot in bitter cold, I'd suggest wiping every lubed surface clean and visibly dry first, and see if that makes a difference.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'll stick with my light film of CLP.
    21 below this weekend Son and I are shooting Saturday

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    10 degrees Fahrenheit is too cold for me to shoot regardless of the firearm lubricant used.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Sometimes on a gun I don't happen to be carrying every day, I shoot at the range several times without cleaning it - just to see what happens. Maybe all the grime from previous rounds mixed with the c-o-l-d gummed it up just enough. I cleaned it tonight and the function checks are perfect. I think I will go out again tomorrow and see what happens. It will even colder tomorrow, high of -4F.

Or go to a indoor range like I do
    "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

VIP Member
    That is why you go out in the cold and shoot. You can learn how the climate changes things. Every one should go out in the cold at least once.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Every one should go out in the cold at least once.
    I did!

Of course I was about 10 years old at the time.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    That is why you go out in the cold and shoot. You can learn how the climate changes things. Every one should go out in the cold at least once.
    I'll have my fair share of cold in 4 week when I leave for Marine Corps bootcamp. Ill stick to indoor ranges till then.
    "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Never to cold. WE use Gun Butter never had a problem.

VIP Member
    Flintlocks don't have that problem.
    flintlock62 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    I was out at the range this afternoon trying out some hand loads in my MK-25, it was snowing and the temperature was 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I made it all the way through about 40 test loads and had started plinking with some factory loads.

All of a sudden the slide locked closed (in battery??). I could not rack the slide except for a couple times. One time it ejected the round in the chamber and then finally it racked and I engaged the slide lock. When I got home, warmer of course, I had no problem racking the slide and ejecting some snap caps.

I use Frog Lube. Could it have just been too cold?

John
    Frog Lube is kind of like butter. You are actually supposed to heat up your gun before applying the paste. I'm wondering if you might have just applied a little too much of the stuff. When cold, it might have thickened (caked), causing the pistol to foul. I don't use it so it's just a guess. Maybe worth a call to the manufacture to ask for some cold weather test data.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Lead Moderator
    Maybe some out of spec factory rounds? If you have any left see if they hang up indoors.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links