Range time today

This is a discussion on Range time today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got to get out with the girlfriend and try out some new steel auto resetting .22 targets , then a friend brought a buddy over ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Range time today

Lead Moderator

Range time today

Got to get out with the girlfriend and try out some new steel auto resetting .22 targets , then a friend brought a buddy over to try out their new SR Ruger pistols. After a brief review of gun handling rules we went out to the range.
    Both are fairly new to handguns , but had deer hunted and fired shotguns and rifles. We worked on grip, stance , sight picture and trigger control. Both showed an improvement quickly with the 50 rounds they each shot. With temps in th teens and a light snow we didn't shoot too long.
    I did get to try out both pistols a 40 & a 45 . They both shot nicely with decent triggers and a good feel to the grip. The safety seemed a bit small but manageable. The rear sights also seemed smaller white dots Than the front.
    It is fun to help new shooters and I really like getting to try different guns. Seems two more shooters are eager to come back and try again. I had a few shooters tips manuals I gave then curtesy of the Recoil mag target packs my girlfriend picked up .
    No pics due to watching everyone for safety.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Sounds great! And to think that you braved a much deeper cold than I would have had to down here at 38F for a high today. Due to the combination of the cold and the wind, along with the fact that I have a cold, I wimped out and didn't go either to the range or to the deer woods this afternoon. Season closed today so except for a brief spike/doe season which commences here in January deer season proper is done.

Good on ya' to brave the cold to devote time to the new handgun shooters too.

What about those auto-resetting .22 targets? I've longed for something a little more geared to .22 work than my heavy gauge stuff.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Sounds great! And to think that you braved a much deeper cold than I would have had to down here at 38F for a high today. Due to the combination of the cold and the wind, along with the fact that I have a cold, I wimped out and didn't go either to the range or to the deer woods this afternoon. Season closed today so except for a brief spike/doe season which commences here in January deer season proper is done.

Good on ya' to brave the cold to devote time to the new handgun shooters too.

What about those auto-resetting .22 targets? I've longed for something a little more geared to .22 work than my heavy gauge stuff.
    My nephew has these and we use them for .22lr with rifles.
    Never tried them with pistols. Don't know if they would work or not.
    Do-All .22 Auto Reset Target - Walmart.com
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Lead Moderator
    We found these for about $12 each at Walmart. They worked fine at 10 yards with the .22 pistol . I would not use a larger caliber as they are lighter than other steel targets. I also have a spinner that auto resets , however the target area is much smaller and doesn't work well in a few feet of snow.
    Champion Rimfire Diamond Pop-Up Target : Cabela's
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I try to never go into WalMart but need to see if those are available here.
    cjohnson44546 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I try to never go into WalMart but need to see if those are available here.
    ^I agree^^^^^^^^

And I know not where my nephew found the ones that he has, but the link that I provided came up on the search.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Awesome! I always love to see the "change" when a new shooter actually goes to the range, and has a good time. (Then wants to return)
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Links