Finally took the CCW class today!

This is a discussion on Finally took the CCW class today! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know I've been putting it off forever. The instructor was a Marine LT so I gave him a hard time (I was enlisted). I ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 1 Post By NETim
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Finally took the CCW class today!

I know I've been putting it off forever. The instructor was a Marine LT so I gave him a hard time (I was enlisted). I was a kid compared to the others in the class, but these were all re-quals for their permits were expired.
    Some things I noticed:
    Many of them did NOT practice any sort of muzzle control or safety. An elderly gentleman kept flagging the line constantly, I was standing right behind him and he kept pointing the gun backwards at me and some other gentleman (who was a cav scout).
    Two ladies were pulled off the line because they fired 15 rounds from 7 feet away and could not hit the target. Nevada's course is a 30 round qual.
    A lady at the course did not fire because she had never touched a firearm in her life.
    This is not me saying look at me I'm better than all these other people, but it is concerning that many of the re-qualifiers had a complete disregard for muzzle safety.
    Myself, I actually learned quite a bit. I had never received any formal instruction on a pistol shooting, and learned all about the different combat, cooper, and weaver stances. I also learned a sturdier grip, and I also learned that since I'm a righty and left eye dominant I can shoot with the left eye without switching to my off hand. All in all it was a great course. The two ladies that were pulled off the line were both shooting revolvers that were too powerful for them. One was a snub .38 special, the other a snub of some caliber. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that subs are known for their accuracy. I used my Ruger P95 that I had just bought. It fed wrong a couple of more times, but more shooting and cleaning will fix that.
    I really enjoyed the class! Makes me want to take NRA pistol courses.
    -Linny
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    The instructor was a Marine LT ...

Many of them did NOT practice any sort of muzzle control or safety. An elderly gentleman kept flagging the line constantly, I was standing right behind him and he kept pointing the gun backwards at me and some other gentleman (who was a cav scout).
    One would think the prime goal of any such course is safe handling, competent operation and knowledge of the statutes. If by the end of the course such folks were still behaving unsafely while holding the guns, I'd say the instructor wasn't doing his job. This sort of thing is what I hate about the small-town courses, or done by folks who let the class get so large that they can't get the basics covered and ensure it's a safe environment. The best ones I've been through have typically had a chief instructor, with a couple of assistants to police the line and ensure safety for everyone. And in a couple of courses, I can recall the instructors stating that those who failed to exhibit decent safe handling wouldn't be passed in the course. That's the way it should be, IMO, so long as required training is held as lawful. Get it right, or don't get it.
    darbo likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Ditto what ccw9mm said.

Also, re: snubs not being accurate, the problem is not intrinsic accuracy (they are plenty accurate) but that the short sight radius makes them harder to aim.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I'd have a hard time signing off on a permit as an instructor if the student couldn't/wouldn't at least understand and comply with the 4 basic rules.

It's not that difficult.

Pathetic.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I'd have a hard time signing off on a permit as an instructor if the student couldn't/wouldn't at least understand and comply with the 4 basic rules.

It's not that difficult.

Pathetic.
    I have never failed a student, but have come close a time or two. It the only time that I have come uncorked in a class.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Ditto what ccw9mm said.

Also, re: snubs not being accurate, the problem is not intrinsic accuracy (they are plenty accurate) but that the short sight radius makes them harder to aim.
    IMO it's more about light weight + heavy trigger causing the muzzle to drift all over the place when they're held with a weak grip. I can't imagine the sight radius making any noticeable difference in terms of being able to put shots *on paper* at 7 feet. The most likely explanation is that they weren't holding the gun firmly enough to compensate for the heavy DA pull.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    I know I've been putting it off forever. The instructor was a Marine LT so I gave him a hard time (I was enlisted).
    I hate officers too! LOL!
    I went to a more upscale class when I got my carry license. My class lasted three days. In my carry II class, we fired 500 rounds over the course. I'm flabbergasted you state so many were so inept.

Snubbies are fine. They do take a little practice. My wife has a S&W 642. Gave her a few pointers and she had no problem at combat distance. The truth is most self defense situations are up close. Snubbies are more then adequate for the job.

At my CHL range qualification. The person on my left at the ready line, had his finger on the trigger before the command to FIRE. Thus causing a premature (At least he had the gun pointed downrange) Firing. The range officer (he was a Sergeant Major in the Army,and spent time in the Navy too). talked with him privately and quietly. He asked me and the person on the shooters other side if we were alright. And we continued.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Wow! Don't tell the anti's!

There was one women in my class that kept having failure to feeds. A guy that came with her, he was there to watch only, had to clear her gun. I'm talking roughly 20 times. She passed and was never questioned on her lack of knowledge. I think you should know your own firearm before you can even think about edcing it.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Generations of plainclothes and undercover police and Federal agents qualified with 2" snubbies. It's not *that* much harder than a 4" or 6" barrel.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Linny, you don't want to step on any toes in that situation but, we are all responsible for range safety when we are on the range. If you see people being unsafe, call them on it. Better to ruffle a few feathers that to get shot by some moron. Just holler muzzle real loud at the offender a few times, the instructor will soon be made aware that he is not doing his job.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Administrator
    Your experience with the quality of students is the same I had and the very reason why I refuse to teach CCW courses anymore. Way to many yahoos as students and instructors in the game.
    seanth468 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links