issues switching from a Berretta 9 mm to a G23

This is a discussion on issues switching from a Berretta 9 mm to a G23 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last week I purchased a gen4 Glock 23. So far I've put roughly 75 rounds through it. One thing that I've been noticing is that ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wcearp
  • 1 Post By Jaeger

Thread: issues switching from a Berretta 9 mm to a G23

Last week I purchased a gen4 Glock 23. So far I've put roughly 75 rounds through it. One thing that I've been noticing is that while my group stays consistent I can't help but notice that at 15 meters I'm hitting an inch and a half or two inches to the left, constantly. I've been shooting 9mm (almost exclusively with a Berretta M9) for several years and have never had this issue once I had my fundamentals down. Once I noticed that I was hitting to the left I began focusing on fundamentals even more than before but not much difference. I'm wondering if it's maybe switching to a higher caliber, or the fact that I used the single action like it was the only option. I'm not saying it's solely the gun. It may be that I need to practice my trigger squeeze. But I was hoping I could get some more experienced insight. Thanks.

Sounds like the sights are off to me. Are they fixed sights?

Throw a bore-sighter in it to be sure before you spend too much time fussing on your shooting. Shooting can be off...but I find that if it's off because of a breakdown in shooting then it's not quite that consistent.

The issue is the different triggers and different grips. The Glock is going to have a different trigger reach than the Berreta 92 in single action. You are probably not use to the Glock's longer trigger pull. Most likely you are starting to squeeze your fingers tighter as you pull the trigger, pulling your shots left.

The larger caliber has nothing to due with accuracy in slow fire drills except if you are anticipating the recoil. That usually causes an up or down issue.

Ohh and Welcome to the Forum!
    StormRhydr likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Yes the sights are the stock ones that came with it. I thought that could've been a possibility but didn't think it was as likely as operator error. I'll look into a bore sight, that could tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by wcearp View Post
    The issue is the different triggers and different grips. The Glock is going to have a different trigger reach than the Berreta 92 in single action. You are probably not use to the Glock's longer trigger pull. Most likely you are starting to squeeze your fingers tighter as you pull the trigger, pulling your shots left.

The larger caliber has nothing to due with accuracy in slow fire drills except if you are anticipating the recoil. That usually causes an up or down issue.

Ohh and Welcome to the Forum!
    That makes a lot of sense. Looks like practice will be the key pending it's not an issue with the sights.

A mugger had better have a very long knife to reach you at 15 meters

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Glocks don't have the best triggers. It could be the trigger pull weight. It could also be you're anticipating the heavier recoil, and moving left of the target when you fire. Anothr thing that will affect grouping is how the gun fits into your hand. The best fitting gun I ever had was a Walther P99. Wish I had never sold it.

Jaeger already posted the targets I was going to add. Those targets tell a lot of things we do wrong when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by MLE View Post
    Last week I purchased a gen4 Glock 23. So far I've put roughly 75 rounds through it. One thing that I've been noticing is that while my group stays consistent I can't help but notice that at 15 meters I'm hitting an inch and a half or two inches to the left, constantly. I've been shooting 9mm (almost exclusively with a Berretta M9) for several years and have never had this issue once I had my fundamentals down. Once I noticed that I was hitting to the left I began focusing on fundamentals even more than before but not much difference. I'm wondering if it's maybe switching to a higher caliber, or the fact that I used the single action like it was the only option. I'm not saying it's solely the gun. It may be that I need to practice my trigger squeeze. But I was hoping I could get some more experienced insight. Thanks.

Sponsored Links