Springfield XD (M) 9mm and factory holster; unusual ND

This is a discussion on Springfield XD (M) 9mm and factory holster; unusual ND within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently had the opportunity to meet someone who had an ND with a Springfield XD (M) 9mm. As the story goes, subject was removing ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By whoppo
  • 2 Post By Stoveman

Thread: Springfield XD (M) 9mm and factory holster; unusual ND

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I recently had the opportunity to meet someone who had an ND with a Springfield XD (M) 9mm.

As the story goes, subject was removing the firearm/paddle holster from the waistband, the firearm never moved upward in the holster, yet the firearm NDed. Luckily, I suppose, subject was using FMJ ammo which minimized the damage.

I just watched a video of said system, the holster has a full trigger guard cover and seems to fit quite snugly.

Just a warning to be careful out there.

Anybody ever heard of this system NDing?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

How on earth did that happen? The only way a xd or xdm will fire is if you press down on the grip saftey and pull the trigger (and trigger saftey ) . Was he gripping the safety as he pulled it out and if so what would hit the trigger I mean it is a glcoish trigger you have to press the trigger saftey and the grip to fire . So ?? Defect?

Distinguished Member
    Huh... I'm trying to visualize how the firearm could discharge while still completely in the holster... as the story goes.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Huh... I'm trying to visualize how the firearm could discharge while still completely in the holster... as the story goes.
    Yeah esp a XD I have seen glocks go as the holster was crap and the leather caugt the trigger as reholstering or some of the SEPRA ones go as a rock got in there or the such but a normal non rention holster with a double safe gun ..

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    this sounds like somebodies invention to avoid the prying eyes of mr. law enforcement. pulling it out of the waistband? seem incredibly unlikely, short of a major malfunction of the weapon, and i can't even picture how it could malfunction in this instance. perhaps if he had said it happened when holstering the firearm, sure, or even drawing it, but no movement of the weapon inside the holster? i seriously doubt it. i bet Springfield would have something to say about this as well, i am guessing buku bucks were spent on R&D to test that holster to ensure exactly this type of thing couldn't happen. so he either has a sure-thing, product defect injury case against Springfield, or he is CYA big time. my vote is he was horsing around practicing his drawstroke, with a loaded piece, like a dummy, and managed to get a ND. now he wants to act like it "wurn't my fault" and blame the gun. i think a quick check for powder residue on the muzzle side of the holster, and quick function check of the weapon will clear this "mystery" right up. or maybe i'm a jerk and this guys' the victim of around-the-clock manufacturing and sloppy QA. doubt it.

95% of people with a ND swear up and down the gun was in the holster and their finger wasn't anywhere near the trigger.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    95% of people with a ND swear up and down the gun was in the holster and their finger wasn't anywhere near the trigger.
    Yep.

Had a friend years ago who was a mechanic at a LBS (Local Bicycle Shop) and they called them "JRA's". As in, "I was Just Riding Along and X happened......". Nobody ever broke anything on their mountain bikes by going over logs, rocks, etc...
    BugDude and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Just goes to show that guns DO just "go off" when they feel like it! Not the shooter's fault at all!

I bet their cars start themselves up and drive themselves around the neighborhood every once in a while, too!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Links