Bi-polar company and the law

Bi-polar company and the law

This is a discussion on Bi-polar company and the law within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Haven't seen this before and I want to stay within the law so I'm hoping maybe somebody will know the answer to this. My friend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Bi-polar company and the law

Distinguished Member

Question Bi-polar company and the law

Haven't seen this before and I want to stay within the law so I'm hoping maybe somebody will know the answer to this. My friend from years ago that I grew up with (we have known each other for almost 40 years) and have not seen in years contacted me recently and praise the Lord has finally gotten her life back together. I know the girls life story and she has had a bad situation (no fault of her own in the childhood years) since she was a toddler. When she got older she had some issues (story long and irrelevant to question) with men, lost her only son in his 20's 3 years ago and now finally her life is on a good track and she has Jesus back in her life and is off of drugs after being in a coma and almost dying. The doctors deemed her bi-polar about 10 years ago. I could go on to say how I disagree and think it was drugs, but again not relevant to the question.

Here's my question. If she comes and visits my family for the weekend being labeled bi-polar will this effect my cwp if anyone found out? I know this may sound trivial, but I'd take my guns out of the house if this needed to be done to keep everything on the up and up and legal. I do have a gun safe and keep my guns locked up with the exception of my EDC.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Need to have a HOME NICS check kit. This will be eventually challenged. His Highness Barry (and the evil queen) can't circumvent congress and the rule of law much longer. We are at the tipping point and i believe the mid terms could possibly be a major turning point in the return to at least political middle.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Haven't seen this before and I want to stay within the law so I'm hoping maybe somebody will know the answer to this. My friend from years ago that I grew up with (we have known each other for almost 40 years) and have not seen in years contacted me recently and praise the Lord has finally gotten her life back together. I know the girls life story and she has had a bad situation (no fault of her own in the childhood years) since she was a toddler. When she got older she had some issues (story long and irrelevant to question) with men, lost her only son in his 20's 3 years ago and now finally her life is on a good track and she has Jesus back in her life and is off of drugs after being in a coma and almost dying. The doctors deemed her bi-polar about 10 years ago. I could go on to say how I disagree and think it was drugs, but again not relevant to the question.

Here's my question. If she comes and visits my family for the weekend being labeled bi-polar will this effect my cwp if anyone found out? I know this may sound trivial, but I'd take my guns out of the house if this needed to be done to keep everything on the up and up and legal. I do have a gun safe and keep my guns locked up with the exception of my EDC.
    Short answer to question in bold: IMO--- NO. (That assumes she has no felony conviction.) If you believe she is
    prohibited from purchasing or possessing guns -that she can't pass a NICS check-- the prudent thing to do would be
    to lock up everything except your EDC, and keep that on your person.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It won't affect your permit, but some LE--if she has any felony convictions--may consider her being in violation by being around guns. Someone asked something like this before and I don't recall there being a definitive answer. Secure your extra guns, keep your EDC in your control, and all should be fine.
    Last edited by OldVet; January 8th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Stevew likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I'm guessing if she is on parole/probation she cannot be around guns, or alcohol. That was a stipulation of a friend of mine (in Pa.) who served time for DUI when he got out of prison. On the other hand I have a bipolar SIL who owns hunting rifles. I believe the difference here is their background with the law.

If the only accessible firearm in your home is on your person, you have nothing to worry about.IMHO
    Stevew and Rock and Glock like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Short answer to question in bold: IMO--- NO. (That assumes she has no felony conviction.) If you believe she is
    prohibited from purchasing or possessing guns -that she can't pass a NICS check-- the prudent thing to do would be
    to lock up everything except your EDC, and keep that on your person.
    I would agree, years ago I had a girlfriend with what back then was called manic-depressive. She was never involuntarily committed but she had some crazy mood swings until they were able to find some meds that worked for her and she had no further problems.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Thank y'all so much! No she doesn't have any felony nor has she been locked up, just with no/bad parental intervention she got into drugs and ended up at a shrink, the shrink said she was bi-polar and put her on disability. My family has known her since she was a child but haven't seen her in years and we want her to come and visit now that she has gotten better - she was close to my parents too, like a second daughter when we were kids. No anger issues and don't think she would have enough sense to know which end of a gun to hold (I'm serious, lol).

I guess the OP could have been shorter, I just didn't know how to word it but wanted to make sure everything would be lawful. Thank you all again!

Oh, what is a NIC'S test?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Oh, what is a NIC'S test?
    National Instant Criminal Background Check System
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    The legal advice you get on the internet is worth every penny you spent on it.

Don't ask that question here...go to a lawyer or the AG's office.

Here are your State's laws:

South Carolina Legislature Mobile
    Sister likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Perfectly legal.
    StormRhydr and Sister like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Not an issue yet ,but Obama is working on it.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    As it was stated by a few just keep the guns away from her..I can't see any situation,at least in our state that would cause any problems,with her being there..If i kept them away from her or whoever,personally i honestly wouldn't worry about that at all.
    Sister likes this.

What Blitz said
    Sister likes this.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar

No, you are ok.

If she were moving in, and were a felon, it gets a little more complicated. A bit of topic, but I've even heard of felons on parole moving into a house with guns, and the parole officer was called upon to check the security of the gun storage, and the home owners were allowed to keep the guns in the house after proving satisfactory security.
    Sister likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links