Distances for training

Distances for training

This is a discussion on Distances for training within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just wondering what distances most people train with their carry handgun at. For the competitive pistol club I am in, we shoot .22's ...

View Poll Results: Distance for the majority of shots while practicing with stationary targets

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 7 yards

14 12.96%
  • 7-10 yards

58 53.70%
  • 10-15 yards

17 15.74%
  • 15-25 yards

18 16.67%
  • over 25 yards

1 0.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distances for training

I was just wondering what distances most people train with their carry handgun at. For the competitive pistol club I am in, we shoot .22's out to 50 feet (thats as long as the range is), but when I go to the range to shoot my other pistols, I usually find myself putting my target at a distance of about 7-10 yards, figuring that most self defense scenarios will occur at that range or under. I will usually fire a coupe of magazines at longer distances, about 15-25 yards, and one or two mags at closer ranges, but the majority of the rounds are fired between 7-10 yards. Keep in mind this is just for shooting a stationary target at a range.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I voted for under seven yards. I shoot at longer distances, of course, but I feel that having a quick holster pull, and accurate shots at close distance to be, by far, the most important for self defense.
    Beretta 92FS

When I go to the range, I usually do some bullseye targets at 7 yards, silhouettes at 3, 5, and 7 yards (mixture of single shots, double taps, presenting from holster, etc.) and one magazine at 25 yards. I figure that most self defense situations happen at close range, but I ought to shoot a little bit of longer ranged stuff (since 'most' does not equal 'all').

I typically train from 2 yards out to 15 to 25 yards, focusing a lot on the seven yard range. What's the "Rule of 3's?": IIRC, Isn't it three yards, three shots and three seconds accordinging to FBI statistics?

VIP Member
    We shoot at different ranges, from as close as arms length, out to 25 yards.

I'm a big believer in 'aim small, miss small'.

When shooting at IPSC style of targets, we put a small dot on center mass & another on 'center of the head', that way when aiming, we aren't just aiming at a silhouette shape, but at a specific point on the target. I've found that it helps me concentrate better & improves my groups. When shooting at a plain target, my groups & times widen quite a bit, due to not having a specific point in my sights.

Try it for yourself, it works well when shooting & moving at the same time as well.

For me this technique helps my muscle memory & hand eye coordination.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    When shooting at IPSC style of targets, we put a small dot on center mass & another on 'center of the head', that way when aiming, we aren't just aiming at a silhouette shape, but at a specific point on the target. I've found that it helps me concentrate better & improves my groups. When shooting at a plain target, my groups & times widen quite a bit, due to not having a specific point in my sights.
    This doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. It may make your groups smaller on paper, but the ultimate goal here is to be able to stop a BG. A BG isn't going to have a dot at the center of mass.

Along similar lines, I went to a Polite Society shoot two weeks ago. Rather than silhouette targets, they used cardboard targets with t-shirts over them. I found that when shooting clothed targets, most of my shots were going into the upper stomach, rather than the vitals. Since then I've been practicing aiming higher on the target in my dry fire practice. Shooting paper/cardboard is never going to be the same as shooting at an actual assailant, but IMHO it should be as close as possible.

7 yards and under

When I practice, I shoot 3, 5 and 7 yards using at least 30 rounds per distance shooting strong hand unsupported and weak hand unsupported and strong hand supported. Anything past 7 yards is just shooting for fun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    This doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. It may make your groups smaller on paper, but the ultimate goal here is to be able to stop a BG. A BG isn't going to have a dot at the center of mass.
    It helps me by making me concentrate on center mass, If it's a BG, I know there will be no dot. It forces my focus on the front sight of the weapon better & helps me split the targets center, rather than just a blob or silhouette. As I have gotten to need bifocals now, I need all the help I can get to focus on the front sight & still see the target.

Your mileage may vary, it works for me.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I Belong To A Private Outdoor Range...

We have two pistol ranges...a regular range with targets that may be moved to your desired distance 7 yds and further.
    The second range also has the targets to move, but also has the steel 'body' frames, knock down steel plates and spinning steel plates.
    One may also move part way down the range and draw from retention...

The steel body frames allow one to shoot multiple targets, and the spinning steel plates makes the target slightly more difficult to shoot.

Hit a plate...shoot a body...hit another plate...hit another body...

It's a great place to shoot...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I train from contact distance to 50 yards. Most is within 50'.

I do most of my training at fifty feet (about sixteen yards). I figure if I am accurate at this distance, I can hit anything closer. I do change it up and do a couple mags each range trip at around seven yards, and out to twenty-five yards.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I voted 7 - 10 range. I also shoot at max the 25.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    From bench and bag,I shoot at 50yds. This is simply to see where my weapons POI vs POA will be. I DO NOT ajust the sights.

Then, 25% of the training takes place at 15yds,25% of the training at 3yds,and 50% at 7yds.

This could/will change with the expieriance and training of the shooter.

If I had to choose only one range to train at,it would be 7yds.

This, not read in a book,but learned from my expieriences in life. -----

Senior Moderator
    I shoot mostly 7-10 yards the longest is 25.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I belong to one private club where all shooting must be done at fixed distances. The closest there is 7.5 yds, so that is what I use all the time.

I belong to a second private club that allows shooting from holster, moving while shooting, and placing the targets at any distance you like. I usually set up at 3-5 yds at this club.

I'm no longer interested in bullseye shooting, so only shoot at longer distances with pistol when I'm shooting at the first club's indoor range (33' min distance there).

Also since my Wife is just getting into shooting, keeping to the closer distances is easier for her to do better with it.
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links