Recent Remington 870 experience

This is a discussion on Recent Remington 870 experience within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two days ago I picked up a Remingtion 870 as I currently did not have a pump shotgun. I do not know a ton about ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By sealteam20001
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By Bama61

Thread: Recent Remington 870 experience

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Two days ago I picked up a Remingtion 870 as I currently did not have a pump shotgun. I do not know a ton about shotguns, other than I wanted one for around the house and for shooting clays. I took the shotgun home, figured out how to disassemble, clean, lubricate exc. Took it out with a few different types of ammo and it would either not extract rounds, not eject rounds, or eject anemically. I ensured that all the parts were in working order then did a little polish on the chamber and outside where the rim sits, but none of that helped.

The next day I took the gun to a pawn shop and got most of money back, then bought a Mossberg. Wish my first 870 experience had been better, but I just don't have time anymore to spend days fussing with guns that don't work. The 870 had a much better fit and finish then the 500 has, and disassembled easier, but for the same price the 500 came with the barrel combo and extra pistol grip (and the gun worked). Just wanted to relate this experience.

Edit: The gun would extract and eject UNFIRED shells without issue, but would not - or barely - extract/eject spent shell casings.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Do you know what type of 870 it was (express, express magnum, wingmaster, police magnum, ect...)

What size chamber? 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2"?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Sounds like the chamber was heavily corroded.
    shadowwalker likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear that, mine has worked fine for years and I suspect the vast majority of 870 owners would tell you the same.....
    Mardet65 likes this.

ah, the lottery of buying guns from pawn shops...

...you'll learn padawan, you'll learn.

anymore i spend a LOT of time going over a gun before i will buy it from pawn, as in, if i could afford it, i would get it x-ray'd. don't get down on 870's from this experience. but Mossbergs are great. my 590 has served me faithfully for 10+ years and probably 10,000 rounds. she's gettin' lose, but i like em that way!

EDIT- get yourself a good borelight, i like the kind with a flexible neck and a little LED in the end. the fiber optic ones are good, but you can't shove em down in the little nooks and crannies like the flexi ones... and ALWAYS bring it with you when gun shopping.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I've my 870 For years never had any problems, NONE!! Sorry to hear yours.
    Mardet65 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have three 870s I have bought from Pawn shops...Not a problem with a single one of them. You just inspect them well just as you would any other purchase prior to buying them. To be frank, I have had more problems buying from individuals than I have from pawn shops....they don't stay in business long if they buy/pawn defective firearms.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Was it a new 870?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Remington 870 And Mosssberg are both fine shot guns.
    The 870 is the best selling 12ga in the world, it has been around sense 1949 for good reason. They don't get any better.
    Pawn shop items are what they are . An 870 can take a lot of abuse. We have one here that has had a lot of round through it.
    It has not been cleaned in over 20 years. Long story. It still shoots first time every time.
    Last edited by Smitty901; January 10th, 2014 at 09:16 AM.

VIP Member
    870 can have short stroke issues. If you are not used to it and don't pull the pump all the way back this problem can occur.

I've owned a few 870 both Express and Wingmaster and all were excellent.

Administrator
    Are you sure to reassembled it correctly? You mentioned you don't know much about shotguns and you just figured out how to take it apart is why I ask.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    ...I ensured that all the parts were in working order then did a little polish on the chamber and outside where the rim sits, but none of that helped...
    If "all the parts were in working order" and you put it together right, it would have worked.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    OP, I also had an 870 and experienced same issue with some rounds. The replacement for me was also a Mossburg and I've not had a single issue with it. No matter what type/size round I fire it works perfectly. Hope you have the same experience with your's.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Cool

After owning a surplus Mossy riot gun for more years than I can remember I bought an 870 LEO surplus riot gun. I had even entertained thoughts of selling the Mossy.

Now I wish I'd never even seen that 870. I'll keep that Mossy forever.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Gun was new. It was not used. It was a Rem 870 tactical.

To answer some other questions: The gun was put back together just fine. I am familiar enough with the model and basic shotgun action (and how to read a manual) to do that. And no I was short stroking it.

It was a good looking gun, it's a shame it didn't want to work for me. Thanks for all the replies. After some research it does seem like newer 870's are having a tendency towards anemic ejection. Hopefully that's just internet hogwash and I just happened to get a lemon. Safe shooting.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sponsored Links