Can I ship a rifle to an FFL myself?

This is a discussion on Can I ship a rifle to an FFL myself? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was planning on putting up a rifle for sale online for the first time and was reading into it. Is it true that I can ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 3 Post By CherokeeSlim
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By tmoore912
  • 1 Post By stylus

Thread: Can I ship a rifle to an FFL myself?

Was planning on putting up a rifle for sale online for the first time and was reading into it. Is it true that I can ship to an FFL myself even if I don't have a license? I thought I had to ship it through an FFL to another FFL but I read differently. Anyone care to clarify?
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I think it varies by state.
    Check out handgunlaw.us
    DJC7 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

You must also confirm with the receiving FFL dealer that he will accept it from a non FFL person.
    DJC7 likes this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

I have done it several times. Long guns & pistols. The dealer agrees to receive firearms for you. I've always let them know in advance what is coming. Sent directly a copy of your DL or HCP is required.
    Cherokee Slim
    WrongRecroom, DJC7 and 1 old 0311 like this.
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Yes you can ship a gun to a FFL . The feddies have a whole page talking about that ..Make sure the dealer will take a non ffl gun and what you need to have in the boxs.. Also a gun deler may be willing to ship the gun for you might be less of a headache dependening on fees as they may have cheaper shipping options

What gun though the fees can be a bit high so if it some cheep 200 rifle maybe just sell local ..Double so with a gun that may be a "assult weapon " or have " hi cap mags" .. The laws can be a pain for example a m-1 carbine is banned by name in NJ for example or any shotgun with a pistole grip and I could go one .. If we are talking a deer rifle it should be ok

Fact Check: Shipping Firearms | The Truth About Guns

"Shipping via the United States Postal Service:
    -Yes, pistols can be mailed via the US post office, but ONLY by a licensed dealer.
    -Yes, a non-licensed dealer can ship rifles and shotguns through the US post office to another non-licensed dealer, ONLY if it is within the same state! However, “the Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.”
    -Yes, a non-licensee can mail rifles and shotguns out of state, ONLY to an FFL (licensed dealer).
    ” A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.” -BATFE"

"Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship pistols through a contract carrier, but ONLY within the same state.
    -Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship a pistol out of state, but ONLY to a licensed dealer. The BATFE states, “In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.”
    “A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.” -BATFE
    -And as an added bonus, “A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.” -BATFE"
    DJC7 likes this.

Exclamation

OP, yes you can ship to a FFL yourself (without going thru another FFL) as long as the receiving FFL has already agreed to accept your firearm shipment.

If you look up [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31] you will see that you are NOT required to notify the common carrier (UPS FedEx) that your package contains a firearm if you are shipping to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors. There are many that consider the ATF wording to be wrong on their website.

922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful --

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that --

(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

178.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped:

Their is also nothing in the law stating UPS/FedEx has to ship it overnight. Don't take my word for it though...................read the law yourself.

18 U.S.C. 922 - Unlawful acts

ATF letter about shipping requirements:

http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/GunStu...ping/batf1.jpg
    DJC7 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Was planning on putting up a rifle for sale online for the first time and was reading into it. Is it true that I can ship to an FFL myself even if I don't have a license? I thought I had to ship it through an FFL to another FFL but I read differently. Anyone care to clarify?
    You could send the serial numbered part through an FFL and everything else directly to the buyer's house.
    DJC7 likes this.

Great info everyone. Thanks! If it sells it would be a Yugo M48 that I would be shipping. How do you guys actually go about the shipping? I can see folks getting nervous if I walk into the post office with a rifle, even if it's in a rifle case. Any tips on that part? Are there boxes out there suitable for packing a rifle in prior to taking it to the post office or UPS/FedEx?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Great info everyone. Thanks! If it sells it would be a Yugo M48 that I would be shipping. How do you guys actually go about the shipping? I can see folks getting nervous if I walk into the post office with a rifle, even if it's in a rifle case. Any tips on that part? Are there boxes out there suitable for packing a rifle in prior to taking it to the post office or UPS/FedEx?
    Do you have a c&r permit ? That gun may be c&r ( not a 100% sure but you could ship it someone with a c&r I think not 100% on the rules )..

And here read this Don't Break Fed Gun Laws When Shipping Firearms - Claim Your Guns | POMA - Together, we're doing great things!

and ammo has whole differtn rules

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeSlim View Post
    I have done it several times. Long guns & pistols. The dealer agrees to receive firearms for you. I've always let them know in advance what is coming. Sent directly a copy of your DL or HCP is required.
    Cherokee Slim

100% correct.

Ex Member
    Check yellow pages/Google for boxes in your area. If you can't find an exact size find something close, cut it down, and tape the heck out of it. SOMETIMES the shipper wants to see the gun before it gets packaged up.

Sponsored Links