Households with guns grow 5% in 2012!!!

This is a discussion on Households with guns grow 5% in 2012!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Poll: Household Gun Ownership on Rise in U.S....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Households with guns grow 5% in 2012!!!

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

Households with guns grow 5% in 2012!!!

Aceoky and StormRhydr like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Good news but what's Obummer's commission?!

The increase is from 34% of households in 2012 to 39% of households in 2013. That is an increase of 5 percentage points, but an increase of 15 percent.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Because the number of households grew?

That is an increase of 5 percentage points, but an increase of 15 percent.

I have few maths, but I do have Englishs. What does that mean?
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

There are about 115 million households in the United States. In 2012, 34 percent of them, or 39 million, had guns. In 2013, 39 percent of them, or 45 million, had guns. And 45 million is 15 percent more than 39 million, so the number of gun-owning households have gone up by 15 percent. (That's assuming that the survey was properly done so that the numbers can be believed.)
    1MoreGoodGuy and Bozz10mm like this.

I wonder what the percentage difference is from when Obama was first elected until now.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    They probably didn't ask anyone on this forum or the numbers wouold have been higher.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

With out a math class. I have known a lot of people that really would not have a firearm of any kind in their home.
    I have seen over the last few years that number drop considerably.
    Rather than a 1 year change why not look at 1 year BB (before Obama) and now. That would paint an interesting picture of change.
    Here the percentage of homes with fire arms is about 90% allowing for the felons

I went digging a little, and the article is bogus. The 34% and 39% numbers are from two very different surveys. What the journalist should have done is to compare the recent Economist/YouGov Poll (http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net...nTabReport.pdf) to the same poll from a year ago (http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload...nTabReport.pdf). Then, the increase is only two percentage points. It's probably a stretch to claim that to be significant, given that the polls have error margins of about 4 percent.

I agree that the rates of gunownership have probably gone up quite a bit from the all-time low a few years ago. (For instance, the number of licenses to carry here in Massachusetts went up by 36% from 2007—right before Obama was elected—to 2012, and probably even more in the last year.) But I don't think we can conclude anything from the Economist/YouGov poll and the article.

More proof that Hussein Obama is actually a friend of the firearms industry...

John W in SC

salesmanoftheyear.jpg
    Brent95 and lionround like this.

One of my local range/retail shops used to have a poster behind the handgun counter - picture of Obama with the caption "Our best salesman".
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I think this is one of the reason why we are still speaking English right now .. Oh sure one good EMP could knock about all our military off line even some of our heavy stuff. But you try to invaded with what 300 mil plus guns in private hands and with a lot of thous hands knowing how to used them.. God help you

Maybe he did not say it but it is still a good quote

" You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

And I the more the better esp for the next gen to see that these are not some scary thing but tools nothing more nothign less
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Another thought I would guess the number is actually higher than they are reporting. Because many people who have guns will not tell a stranger they have them.
    Ghost1958 and BugDude like this.

I doubt this is accurate.

I'd think most gun owners when asked by some random "poll taker" would either refuse to answer, or lie. Anyone asks me claiming to be anyone, asking about anything to do with what is in my home or how its protected does not get an answer.
    Ghost1958 and WrongRecroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    I doubt this is accurate.

I'd think most gun owners when asked by some random "poll taker" would either refuse to answer, or lie. Anyone asks me claiming to be anyone, asking about anything to do with what is in my home or how its protected does not get an answer.
    Guns what guns? Oh you mean the sholder thing that goes up? No thouse are icky and might attack me so they are silly no no ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links