22lr semi auto pistol for wife

This is a discussion on 22lr semi auto pistol for wife within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife has finally admitted she would like to learn to shoot and become more comfortable around guns. This would be a huge step towards ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 22lr semi auto pistol for wife

22lr semi auto pistol for wife

My wife has finally admitted she would like to learn to shoot and become more comfortable around guns. This would be a huge step towards my ultimate goal of her getting her CC license. I'm thinking I'd like to start her out with a 22 as to not scare her away from the start. Plus I don't really need any extra incentive to get another cool gun. Question - what would you buy? Keeping in mind, weight, accuracy, and most important dependable. I don't want her getting frustrated with misfires, stovepipes, FF, etc. I've looked a little bit and a few jumped at me, the Walther p22, Ruger, and the Sig Mosquito. What do y'all think? I appreciate your help.

Greg

2. Remove Ads

Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I have one, and its flawless with every .22 ammo I have tried in it.

For the love of God, stay away from the SIG Mosquito. They are Jamomatics. I got rid of mine this year, but in all fairness, its great for jam clearing training.
    EdJean, rocky and WrongRecroom like this.

VIP Member
    Ruger .22s are fantastic guns.

To shoot.

Not so much to clean.

Texron and revldm like this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The Sig Mosquito is ammo sensitive. The Ruger Single Six has never had a stovepipe. Ever!
    Taurahe, StormRhydr and Stevew like this.

Ruger Mark III or SR22.

I have a walther P22 and find the trigger very mushy. I like the SR22 because it functions very similarly to my other semi-autos (for practicing reloads, clearing stoppages, etc.). However, for the money, it is hard to beat the Mark III.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Look at the S&W Model 22A.
    I have thousands of rounds thru mine and have used it as the introductory gun for a few women and a couple of girls just learning to shoot. Not one mishap or failure of any kind, ever.

DC

Here's a question that addresses the "softer side" (and feel free to flame me for my non-PC language).

My lady is NOT a shooter and is NOT mechanically inclined. She loves the fact that I'm armed, but full-time carry is not for her. Before we got married, I asked if she'd like to learn to shoot, and she responded with a tepid "sure."

Given my lady's lack of mechanical interest, the last thing she would want to do is anything that smacks of taking a gun apart. And like it or not, in spite of 25 years of Hollywood actors smacking mags into automatics, pushing a button and having a piece of the gun fall out looks a lot like taking a gun apart. Add to this the element of 'done' nails, loading a magazine with potentially sharp edges (like my Kahrs) is a disaster waiting to happen.

I thought about this in advance, and as a result my gal's initial exposure to firing a gun was with a S&W 63 - a J-frame in .22 with a 4-inch barrel. Push a latch forward to open the gun, push a little rod to help the empties out, put 6 fresh rounds into the round thingie, then close it and you're ready to shoot. Simple; no sharp edges, noting to pick up off the ground, and nothing that will mess up the nails.

"Hey honey, want to try the .22 automatic next time?"

"Nope. I know how this one works and I don't want to have to learn something else."

Offered for your consideration.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I got my wife a Walther p22 pistol, but it only works with the pricey 'High Velocity' ammo. Usually CCI Mini Mag 1600 fps stuff. It failed one day with 6 different brands of name brand .22lr ammo and I have heard the same from many others.
    I've often heard how awful the Sig Mosquito is, too.

I started my wife on a Ruger MKIII 5 inch bbl so she wouldn't miss, rental gun at the range, she was hooked in a hurry. Then she took my Charter Arms 'off-duty' 5 shot .357 Mag "Pug" away from me & used low dose .38 spls with lightweight bullets. Then got her CCW with a 100% score on each half.

Nowdays, she won't leave the house without her own concealed carry sidearm. Ever.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    Yep - Gramps started me out with his old Ruger Mark II. Then for my first "gun of my own" I got a used S&W j frame .38 snubbie. Now I have my own group of revolvers and Glocks. Not a lot, but all I want (so far) and more than I need (technically).

The suggestion made by several folks of a S&W .22 revolver for a beginning shooter is a very good one. Take it seriously. After your wife is comfortable shooting she will progress to other things on her own........or not.......but at least she will have a gun that is totally reliable and easy to clean.
    phreddy, Greghan and StormRhydr like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My mom loves her Tactical solutions 22/45 Ruger with timney trigger. For its light weight.

Gasmitty and shootergranny bring up excellent points, in which I had not really thought about. I was just thinking a gun that looks and feels like a pocket 380, such as the LCP would give her the "feel". But I totally get what your saying. Hmmm, more to think about now!
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I'm sorry to hear about the sig, I'm a fan of their stuff. But while waiting for replies I watched a few youtube videos that basically said the same thing about being choosy on ammo. Thank you from saving me from that!

Distinguished Member
    One more important thing that I forgot in my earlier post: Get your wife a good set of electronic ear muffs AND foam ear inserts and have her use BOTH if you are shooting at an indoor range.

My experience with several female new shooters is that it is not the recoil -- it is the NOISE that gives them problems.

With a .22 revolver with very little recoil and the double ear protection from the noise she should do just fine.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have a fired/cleaned etc a 22 M&p it is a amazing little gun . Feels great and very lightweight ..Takes downs easy.

And the mags hold up to 15 round and it would be a good first time OC gun

The new ppk 22 that is a made in german I hear is good and it felt great in my hand ...

The sr22 are good too but I have not delt with them ..

Uh how about his 182228.png 25 bobcat or jetfire .. No slide to pull and 25 is zero recoile imop and feeds good .And if she likes it then they make larger one in 380 or 32

But all that said either a ppk 22 or the m&p 22 with a 12 or 15 round mag be great .. And second on if you shoot indors go on a day when there wont be too many people wear electroic muff so you can talk and double up hers if any one else is there esp if there shooting big bore ..

RUGER SR22 would be the one I'd choose.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links