Beretta Px4 Sub Compact?

Beretta Px4 Sub Compact?

This is a discussion on Beretta Px4 Sub Compact? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for your opinion of the Beretta Px4/sub compact- in .40 Thinking about getting one- NOT every day carry Thanks!...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sonnycrocket

Thread: Beretta Px4 Sub Compact?

Beretta Px4 Sub Compact?

Looking for your opinion of the Beretta Px4/sub compact- in .40

Thinking about getting one- NOT every day carry

Thanks!
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

I wish I could help you, but I've never held one. I'm a Beretta fan, but I think the PX4 SC is an odd looking pistol. It's so jagged, it looks like it would snag on everything; looks like the opposite of "de-horned".

px4tilted-large.jpg

I have never handled one but have looked at them from the case at Academy Sports & Outdoors. I had inquired on the Beretta Forum about the PX4 Storm SC in .40 (I was interested). While the compact and full size have the rotating barrel, the SC has a tilt barrel. I also read that one person replaced the flared safety, or maybe they filed it down. I too felt the flip UP (in stead of down safety) and how far out it was flared, wasn't for me. My best advice . rent one at a range if you can.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Love mine (9mm). I am used to and prefer the slide mounted safety/decocker. Very accurate and easy recoiling gun. It has become my primary EDC. (it is ugly though)

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I carry a PX4 in 40 S&W as a duty weapon and have shot the sub compact version a few times. It shot pretty darn good and was reliable. The sub compact does not use the rotating barrel found on the full size and compact PX4's.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I own one I got on a trade - I think Beretta's are a fine weapon and priced right
    I own a the PX4 SC in 40,it replaced my G27 ,I prefer the DA/SA trigger of the Beretta
    less recoil and more unique look....its quality is top notch
    Kennydale likes this.

Night Sights Not Available

The only significant drawback is that there is no night sights available. The slide design does not allow Trijicon to come up with a design that will work. They seem to have a monopoly of night sights for Berettas. I had their sights on my 9000s and liked how they worked, but they were not really designed for the gun, and when they were glued on, the came off every other year, until I just lost them.

That is why I am going to the Compact with 15 rounds.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

You might do a "search" ... there have been a few threads about it already. They are good guns, buy one and go for it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

New Member Array VoodooMountain's Avatar
    What about the Beretta makes it worth your consideration? Only reason I ask, is because every single person I know who bought a PX4 wished they had bought something else. I certainly wouldn't mind having one and I'm not a 'hater' but I see these folks struggle with accuracy, stovepipes, and holster snags. Never really found out if accuracy was due to the grip or the barrel though. I do actually love the way they look, though and they feel good in my hand but I can't get accuracy worth beans out of them either, but ymmv of course.

Rent one if at all possible, you may just love it. Guns are a very personalized purchase.

For the OP, I can't help with the sub-compact .40.

For VoodooMountain, I am admittedly a bit of a Beretta fan boy, I think they make great guns.

I think early with the PX4 Compact they had some issues with the recoil spring not being happy with cheap 115gr. ammo but that was corrected. I have had a compact and currently have 2 full size PX4s in 9mm. Between the 3 of them I have ran several thousand rounds through them, including IDPA and IPSC, with zero problems. As for accuracy they are more capable than my old eyes and shaky hands will ever be.

I have only shot them in 9mm. I would very much like to have the .45 Special Duty! Just because it's .45 and very cool!

I also have the CX4 in 9mm and it's a ton of fun and shares the 17 and 20 round magazines with the PX4.

New Member Array VoodooMountain's Avatar
    Good to hear. I'm glad they worked out the kinks.

I love my PX4 SC .40. Fine gun. My first CC gun.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I like my PX4SC, but I prefer the other sizes of PX4 pistols. The PX4SC seems too chunky to be called a subcompact, yet too small to be a compact. It's certainly larger than a Glock 26, but also shoots a lot softer.

The PX4 subcompact is extremely well made, easy to operate, and easy to disassemble and clean. The compact and subcompact are also small enough to carry concealed, flawlessly reliable, comfortable to shoot, reasonably priced, and accurate.

Sponsored Links