Washington State gun law question on the subject on gun ownership

This is a discussion on Washington State gun law question on the subject on gun ownership within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen it covered many times on different threads that 18-20 year olds can own a handgun legally but I have some more questions that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patri0t

Thread: Washington State gun law question on the subject on gun ownership

Washington State gun law question on the subject on gun ownership

I've seen it covered many times on different threads that 18-20 year olds can own a handgun legally but I have some more questions that haven't really been specifically adressed. Is it legal to transfer the pistol somehow because it says pocession may only take place in home or business? Can you legally buy ammunition for pistol if that particular round can be used in long guns also such as rifles that can shoot 9mm? Will most people selling guns privately be comfortable with selling one to a 18-20 year old? Has anyone had any experience selling to anyone under 21 or had any experience as an owner under 21? I'm looking for laws and regulations pertaining to the state of Washington so any answers from anyone from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Check out handgunlaw.us
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by garrett11 View Post
    I've seen it covered many times on different threads that 18-20 year olds can own a handgun legally but I have some more questions that haven't really been specifically adressed. Is it legal to transfer the pistol somehow because it says pocession may only take place in home or business? Can you legally buy ammunition for pistol if that particular round can be used in long guns also such as rifles that can shoot 9mm? Will most people selling guns privately be comfortable with selling one to a 18-20 year old? Has anyone had any experience selling to anyone under 21 or had any experience as an owner under 21? I'm looking for laws and regulations pertaining to the state of Washington so any answers from anyone from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Possession, ownership, transfer, and purchase are all different animals. There can be different rules among family. I ran into not being able to buy .22 lr b/c it could be used in a handgun even tho I only had a rifle - although ignorance on the clerk's part sometimes works out for the home team when the box says "long rifle" ; also had a guy in his sixties buy it for me as he didn't give a flip.

I sold a revolver to a cousin of a friend who was 18 and the idiot promptly got arrested for carrying concealed w/o a permit. I did get the sale in writing and still have it 25 yrs later. Got called at work and was threatened with being put under the jail for selling to someone under 21. The CLEO handed me the gun as he let us leave and as we cleared the (glass) doorway of the police station I handed it right back to the cousin in full view of the cops. I jumped thru hoops then as I was also young, but things would go much differently today - I wouldn't have put up with that crap from cops that don't know the law or got paid for my trouble.

Here's a transfer form for WA state. Also, check out Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS and specifically 9.41.40, 80, 240, 45, 170. This list is not all inclusive of appropriate research and IANAL . Federal law prohibits licensed dealers, but not individuals, from selling handguns to those under 21 - individual states may vary. There are also regs for selling firearms to residents of bordering states, and again, these can vary by state.

Fedral laws said you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo..So that can get tricky ..

Fed law said at 18 you can buy own etc a handgun if not bought though a dealer . In my experican many dont want to mess with that as they dont wont to be on the news..

In a handfull of states you can either get a permit to carry or OC a gun at 18 .

In AZ you can buy and open carry a gun at 18 . I have gotten guns from peopel at 20 or so before .. To me it is how you look and act .. You look like a gangbanger or dont look right I am not selling . And I will instested on a bill of sale saying that you are legal to own to carry my own but esp if under 21 ..

But some states are very weird about all this check the state law dont ask the internet

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    But some states are very weird about all this, check the state law don't ask the internet
    Now THAT is good advice. Ask your State's AG, it is why you are paying him.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I feel like my AG wouldn't even bother to write back. Anyone know about transportation of a firearm? Can I carry it in my car and if so how? I'm just trying to get some clearer advice on the subject because state law can be quite vague some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett11 View Post
    I feel like my AG wouldn't even bother to write back. Anyone know about transportation of a firearm? Can I carry it in my car and if so how? I'm just trying to get some clearer advice on the subject because state law can be quite vague some of the time.

Ok not a laywer but here is what I know so far from the interentesst and the good book "A travleres guide to gun &knife law Book'

1. Open carry withouth a permit is legal but you have to be 21 so that is out
    2.according to was code 77.15.460 with out a permit the gun must be unloadd and serculy cased but which they mean chamber dry and no mag in it

So yes to gun in car but basicly close to fed ruls ie locked and unloaded not sure if it needs to be out of reach or not .. Also can not carry on a bus train or ferry if not a permit holder

Washington | OpenCarry.org
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Asking the Attorney General in any state will not get much of a response. I work with District Attorneys and we frequently run into questions that even long time skilled lawyers cannot answer. The DA writes the AG and might get an answer weeks later and even that will come from an attorney working on the staff of the AG.

Also getting an answer from the AG might not be correct. The AG in Louisiana recently gave an answer that was in direct conflict with part of the law.

Some laws are vague, some are confusing, some are contradictory and there are times that there is not a law covering a particular situation.

It is best to make sure that whatever action you plan to take is clearly covered within the law and if there is doubt, do not do it. One thing is certain, I will NOT sell, loan or give a gun to someone under the age of 21. Not only could it be an illegal act (do you know the kid has not had mental issues, etc?), it could lead to you being arrested or sued. Too many of the youth today is getting into trouble by using firearms. LE will find where the gun came from and it best not be from you. The legal trouble will mount quickly. You could be arrested, the families of any victims could sue you and so much more.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Yeah I know it kind of puts a lot of pressure on the seller and I don't really have a way to prove I'm not crazy or a felon because I can't obtain a CPL which seems to be the standard proof of being legally able to obtain a weapon. I might just have to find a friend that has a gun to sell. What I'm even more afraid of though is contacting a private seller online and then meeting up and having them call the cops because of their misinterpretation of the law! Kind of keeps me wary of the whole thing.

Links