Gun Buy Back - Good/Bad?

This is a discussion on Gun Buy Back - Good/Bad? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here in Jacksonville they just had a gun buyback sponsored by the local sheriffs office. While most of the guns were worthless there were several ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Gun Buy Back - Good/Bad?

Gun Buy Back - Good/Bad?

Here in Jacksonville they just had a gun buyback sponsored by the local sheriffs office.
    While most of the guns were worthless there were several that were worth much more than the fifty dollars that the Sheriffs office was offering for each one.

My question is do you believe that these buyback programs are worthwhile or a waste of time, money and resources.

Personally it makes me sick to see some of these guns being destroyed.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's Range Time!

2. Remove Ads

Total waste of time and money. Buy back programs are just another placebo to make people think they are doing something to stop "the senseless gun violence", but they are about as effective as gun control laws and no guns allowed signs.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Waste of time, money, and every once in a while a very nice gun.

They need to spend their time and efforts trying to get the criminals off the streets and stop worrying about law abiding gun owners.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Let me see. I killed someone and I would like to get rid of the weapon. I go to a gun buy back, where no questions are ask. I get 50 bucks and the gun is melted down. Not bad at all.
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's stupid. Could get more at a pawn shop and no BG is giving up the heat for a gift coupon. Some see it as a chance to get rid of old junkers, but there is a market for old junkers.
    Last edited by OldVet; January 12th, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Silly idea. What self respecting criminal is going to turn in his or her handguns? This is for the old men and old ladies who are scared of the broken and rusted pistol that has been in their closet for the last 57 years.

If someone is dumb enough to give up a gun to get $50, joke 's on them. But honestly the only people I see doing that are thugs and brigands looking to upgrade from their old Saturday night specials. Will it help? I doubt it. Them just bootleg another firearm from somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I will support these programs as long as the programs cause ruthless gang bangers, murderers, rapists and serial killers to turn in their guns and change their ways so that they become law abiding citizens and contributing members of society.
    squid86, gatorbait51 and tdave like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    if they took cap guns or bb guns i would totally trade them for 50 bucks. but for a real gun...my vulnerability is not for sale.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Total waste of time and money. Buy back programs are just another placebo to make people think they are doing something to stop "the senseless gun violence", but they are about as effective as gun control laws and no guns allowed signs.
    I agree on all points.
    The only possible way a benefit could occur, IMO, is say IF a guy or gal had a completely worthless piece of hardware that could NEVER be made to function, and they needed some fast cash to say go to the Gun Show and purchase one that did work...well, that could be a benefit. Or perhaps go to the Gun Store and buy some more ammo for their functioning weapons, perhaps that would be a benefit. Otherwise, no.
    gatorbait51 and Bozz10mm like this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

The question posed is; Are gun buybacks "good, or bad?"

No question in my mind that they are bad. The points others have made, I agree with.

However, from what I have seen, they are very bad, in that they equate, (in the publics mind), that the objects of the buybacks, (guns), are "bad", and by buying them back, the streets are made "safer".

It perpetuates the notion that "guns are bad". And that "guns hurt people". NOT that scumbags use their stolen, and illegal guns to prey upon the law abiding.

Heck, just look at who shows up to support these buybacks. Its always some politicians who wants to "ban guns" thru "reasonable common sense solutions".

I think the sheriffs who hold these PR events need replacing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    The question posed is; Are gun buybacks "good, or bad?"

No question in my mind that they are bad. The points others have made, I agree with.

However, from what I have seen, they are very bad, in that they equate, (in the publics mind), that the objects of the buybacks, (guns), are "bad", and by buying them back, the streets are made "safer".

It perpetuates the notion that "guns are bad". And that "guns hurt people". NOT that scumbags use their stolen, and illegal guns to prey upon the law abiding.

Heck, just look at who shows up to support these buybacks. Its always some politicians who wants to "ban guns" thru "reasonable common sense solutions".

I think the sheriffs who hold these PR events need replacing.
    Excellent point. Subtle propaganda that over time reinforces a false belief.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Excellent point. Subtle propaganda that over time reinforces a false belief.
    Exactly. And the sheriffs doing it for their own political ends have been getting a pass on these things from the gun community. Time for them to pick a side, or find new employment.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

MJK
    A waste of my tax dollars. The money would be better spent as a donation to Wounded Warriors.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links