SxS shotgun manufacturers?

This is a discussion on SxS shotgun manufacturers? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for general input on which manufacturers people like their side by side shotguns from. I am more interested in field style guns than coachguns, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SxS shotgun manufacturers?

SxS shotgun manufacturers?

Looking for general input on which manufacturers people like their side by side shotguns from. I am more interested in field style guns than coachguns, since when I get a SxS, it would be used for bird hunting, not HD.

There seem to be a limited number of makers currently mass-producing side by sides. Obviously a custom English double gun would be great, but that isn't going to be in my budget anytime soon.

Makers that I have found:

Stoeger (Uplander)
    CZ (Ringneck)
    Beretta (starting at 5 grand)

Pictures of your doubles, if you have them, are appreciated.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I like the CZ line of doubles. I don't have one, but it would be top of my list.
    Stoger would be fine too, although they seem a little more clunky than a CZ, as far as handling.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have owned a Stoeger It was OK. Mine had poor fitting between the metal and wood. Others I have seen did not.

I have owned two Bakial SXSs. both are built like a Russian battle tank. both needed some cleaning and spring reduction to lighten the cocking levers to the point that the barrels would stay open. I am currently shooting one as my field gun.

Altho not currently imported I have owned a couple of Norinco SxSs. They were smooth and shot well right fro the box.

Huglu [ Im sure I spelled that wrong ] these are made in Turkey and seem to be well made. very pretty wood on every one I have seen.

As you can tell I like SxSs. Id also buy a used Ithaca any time I saw one come up! DR

I dont know much about side by sides, but I have a Beretta White Onyx Over & Under that is simply sweet. My next choice would be CZ.

I've looked at the Stoegers. Been thinking of one in 20ga. for small game. They look well built and reasonably priced. Good luck. Be Safe.

I second the motion for CZ, in the "popularly priced" zone.

Among the high-priced spread, I'd get on a Merkel way before a Beretta for a SxS. I was fortunate to spend some time with a Merkel distributor at the NRA convention a few years ago, and handled a number of their double guns which was a treat in itself. Although they don't make a specific 'field grade' gun, their lowest grade guns are robust and one need not be ashamed of exposing them to honest field use (maybe stopping short of throwing it in the bottom of the john boat while waterfowling in a salt water inlet). There are used Merkels to be found for reasonable prices.

Actually, since there are far fewer SxS makers around these days, the used market is really worthwhile pursuing. The Ruger Gold Label would be an excellent find... these were very short-lived as Ruger couldn't maintain the popular price point (a snick higher than the Red Label) and make money on them. I've seen 'em and let them slip through my fingers. Beyond that, a diligent search may turn up affordable Lefevers, Parkers and L.C. Smiths in well-use but ready-to-go condition. There are a lot of affordable old Fox doubles out there as well, but IMO these are really clunky guns that don't mount and swing naturally or with grace, although they are ruggedly-built guns, to be sure. Browning also had their BSS double gun for a few years, but I've rarely seen them anywhere.

Lastly, I'm aware that there are a number of good SxS doubles coming out of Spain these days. I'm only aware of one make, AyA, and I really know little about them except they are supposed to be "affordable" - just one more avenue to pursue.

I'd love to show you a picture of my SxS gun, but it only exists on my wish list. No sooner did I get my first double gun, a Beretta Silver Pigeon, than I started lusting after side-by-sides!
    GWarden likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Looking for general input on which manufacturers people like their side by side shotguns from. I am more interested in field style guns than coachguns, since when I get a SxS, it would be used for bird hunting, not HD.

There seem to be a limited number of makers currently mass-producing side by sides. Obviously a custom English double gun would be great, but that isn't going to be in my budget anytime soon.

Stoeger (Uplander)
    CZ (Ringneck)

I use a Beretta Silver Hawk, myself.

007.jpg
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I second the motion for CZ, in the "popularly priced" zone.

Among the high-priced spread, I'd get on a Merkel way before a Beretta for a SxS. I was fortunate to spend some time with a Merkel distributor at the NRA convention a few years ago, and handled a number of their double guns which was a treat in itself. Although they don't make a specific 'field grade' gun, their lowest grade guns are robust and one need not be ashamed of exposing them to honest field use (maybe stopping short of throwing it in the bottom of the john boat while waterfowling in a salt water inlet). There are used Merkels to be found for reasonable prices.

Actually, since there are far fewer SxS makers around these days, the used market is really worthwhile pursuing. The Ruger Gold Label would be an excellent find... these were very short-lived as Ruger couldn't maintain the popular price point (a snick higher than the Red Label) and make money on them. I've seen 'em and let them slip through my fingers. Beyond that, a diligent search may turn up affordable Lefevers, Parkers and L.C. Smiths in well-use but ready-to-go condition. There are a lot of affordable old Fox doubles out there as well, but IMO these are really clunky guns that don't mount and swing naturally or with grace, although they are ruggedly-built guns, to be sure. Browning also had their BSS double gun for a few years, but I've rarely seen them anywhere.

Lastly, I'm aware that there are a number of good SxS doubles coming out of Spain these days. I'm only aware of one make, AyA, and I really know little about them except they are supposed to be "affordable" - just one more avenue to pursue.

I'd love to show you a picture of my SxS gun, but it only exists on my wish list. No sooner did I get my first double gun, a Beretta Silver Pigeon, than I started lusting after side-by-sides!
    I think of the "popularly priced" ones, CZs have the best look to them. I have also lusted after a CZ 712 for a while too. I am pretty sure their shotguns are made in Turkey, but they appear to have a nice fit and finish to them, and some solid worksmanship. I actually like the looks of their hammered model a lot, I just think it has a nice classic look.

I unfortunately don't have a lot of knowledge about the older brands that used to produce side by's. I know Ithaca used to make some, and have heard of Parker, Fox ect..., but they were before my time.

I do have a Stoeger Coachgun, which is fine for what it is. Although some of Stoeger's shotguns are very clunky to me. When I was looking for an entry level O/U, I was leaning heavily towards a Condor due to price, but then shouldered one and it was like trying to swing a 2x4, so I wound up with something else.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Fox...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Stoeger (Uplander)
    CZ (Ringneck)

Buy yourself a Spanish SxS.

Join the forum "Spanish Shotguns", and you will find a wealth of knowledge and folks to help you select the right one.

Yahoo Groups

There are several quality shotguns for sale on GB, less than $2000 and some are extremely nice, other great shooters.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=386610138

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=387557542

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=387026875

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=386653029

Before all the fools jump in and claim "soft Spanish Steel", I want to preempt you and say BS, you have no clue what you are talking about.

See my pictures in the general thread. Post your gun PHOTOGRAPHY here!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member
    Some examples;

$425 each for this composed pair

$450

Yeah, it hunts.

$400

$350 sold it to my buddy who has used it bird hunting the last two seasons

If you want to go new, here are some quality guns that will last three lifetimes:

Ugartecheas

Ugartechea Shotguns | Ugartechea Upland Classic Guns for Sale

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Chorizo, if I could find shotguns that look like that at those prices, I would be all over it.

What Spanish brands do you prefer?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member
    There are more "brands" than there are spaces to write them. Spanish aficionados will always tell you, "Buy the gun, not the name".

Some take a little cleaning to bring them back, but most are in sound condition. On the Spanish Gun forum we have a "good deal" thread that where guns we find are posted. Also there are catalogs of all the makers (most makers are now out of business, but it makes no difference as each gun is essentially hand made).

I will take you at your word, Sir. Here is one you should buy RIGHT NOW. A fantastic maker (SARRIUGARTE....now called Kemen and make O/U) I don't know the seller, but he has a hell of a nice price set on it.

AMERICAN ARMS DERBY SIDELOCK, not Parker : Side By Side Shotguns at GunBroker.com

You will NOT be able to find a gun like this NEW and for this price often!

Here is a boxlock that is a good gun also:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=387559669

Another quality sidelock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=387557542

Prices have gone up about 20% since I bought all of the ones I posted with prices and I refinished the stocks and cleaned them up. But again you cannot go wrong with new sidelock I posted.

I have a Stoeger Uplander in 12ga. I got mine for Cowboy Action Shooting, because it met the requirements for the shotgun class.

The CAS requirement is that the shotgun can have extractors, but NOT ejectors. There aren't that many SXS that aren't coach guns that meet that requirement. Although that is a good thing for CAS, it may be undesirable for bird shooting.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've got a Turkish Huglu Over/Under that is nice. They make S/S too.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links