1911 gurus.... why is my springfield not dropping my chip wilson mag?

This is a discussion on 1911 gurus.... why is my springfield not dropping my chip wilson mag? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK got a question.... my SA 1911 isnt dropping myu chip wilson mag. When i mash the mag release, it falls ojut a little bit ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 3 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: 1911 gurus.... why is my springfield not dropping my chip wilson mag?

OK got a question.... my SA 1911 isnt dropping myu chip wilson mag. When i mash the mag release, it falls ojut a little bit and then sticks. My factory mags drop right out with no problems. I just got it back from my smith, and he replaced a few things including the mag release with WC parts, but the factory mags drop right out with no problems. I checked it and it doesnt seem to be bent or anything, but I am honestly not sure how it could get bent anyway. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

What is a Chip Wilson mag?

I know of Wilson mags

And Chip McCormick mags
    rocky, CIBMike, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The one mag might be bulged a bit. Do you have any calipers? Compare the bad mag with a good one.

Lead Moderator
    My Springfield 1911 seemed to dislike McCormick mags , I don't remember if it would not cleanly eject though. Wilson mags have worked well.
    CIBMike likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Shine a good flashlight up into your magazine well and make sure that none of your grip screws are protruding into the magazine chute.
    CIBMike, Aceoky and N.M. Edmands like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I quit using Wilson's 47ds for this reason, among others. The bodies were always spreading and wouldn't drop with my main comp gun. I went through two sets of bodies, and in the end was constantly measuring and tapping back to spec... Even during matches. Finally replaced them all with Tripps and ended the nightmare.
    TY54712

Yes I meant chip McCormick lol... sorry. I do not have calipers but all of my factory mags drop free just fine. I will take it to work and take outside measurements though..... It worked fine and then all of a sudden it is no bueno...
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Take the slide off and insert the McCormick mag to see where it is dragging. You can also mark the mag with a marker to make sure it's not dragging on the mag release. I'm assuming it fails to drop when empty, not with rounds in it which might happen when the top round runs forward a bit.
    TY54712

VIP Member
    Sounds like your frame is warped. Out of the kindness of my heart, I'll take it off your hands. I won't even charge you anything for doing it. See what a nice guy I am!!

Seriously, if it was dropping fine, then stopped, I'd check for a bulge in it. Just curious, have you let it drop to the floor?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links