Pellet gun for practice?

This is a discussion on Pellet gun for practice? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone told me today that skill developed from practicing with a pellet pistol (because ammo is cheap) would translate over well to my real pistol. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pellet gun for practice?

Pellet gun for practice?

Someone told me today that skill developed from practicing with a pellet pistol (because ammo is cheap) would translate over well to my real pistol. Is that an "accurate" (ha!) statement?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    Someone told me today that skill developed from practicing with a pellet pistol (because ammo is cheap) would translate over well to my real pistol. Is that an "accurate" (ha!) statement?
    Not necessarily.

I would say for handling/draw etc good idea if the gun is Idently ditto the blue/red guns for training etc .. But aim and fire not really not the same trigger and no recoil etc

LaserLyte ? Laser Training Systems, Laser Guns Sights, Laser Bore Sights would be a better idea as you are using your gun
    fredg53 likes this.

Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't be that great just based on recoil alne. That laser trainer is pretty cool.

You can probably work on proper trigger pull with it. I would go with one of those pump ones as opposed to a CO2-powered, since as the latter starts to run out of gas the point of impact will change on you and throw you off. Besides....pellet guns are fun.

Distinguished Member
    It is useful for point shooting (C02 powerded), but so are BB's.
    Any practice you can do is better then none!
    Oldpsufan and Kavalander like this.

For the same reasons as you, I finally bought a 22lr conversion kit for my Sig P226 to practice, practice, practice. It obviously doesn't have the same recoil but the feel and manual of arms and the DA to SA is what I really want to work on.
    You didn't say what your real pistol is but if it's one that you can convert to 22lr, that's what I'd suggest.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    I use my airguns, both pistol and rifle, for practice a lot. I recommend it.
    Donnie D
    Kavalander likes this.
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Having recoil does not make practice more manly.

Dry fire is great practice for draw and trigger squeeze. BB and .22's are good for trigger squeeze and sight picture, and give you target feedback. You can do nearly every drill with these sub caliber trainers, (Reload drills are tough with BB's ) but you don't develop bad habits like flinching.

The only thing your full load can teach is recoil control. This is a small and relatively easy final step.
    Taurahe and Vuva3rae like this.

Thanks guys. I have a shield 9mm. Someone suggested a 22 conversion kit or getting a 22, but 22 ammo is a huge pain to find around here. The Obama gun and ammo takeaway scare hasn't worn off much here yet. Maybe I'll pick up a pellet gun that's small like my shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been considering this myself. Supposedly, training with an air pistol can work on your stance, grip, sight picture, breath control, speed/reflex, sight picture. The same arguments for training with a .22 with the advantage being it can be done at home in the yard, garage or basement. This should make training easier since it can be done anytime. Another advantage is the huge cost savings. I know in WWII the military used .22s and even air rifles for training.

Like I said, have only read about this and do not have personal experience.

I think that air guns provide a good training platform for the basics of marksmanship. Things like sight alignment, trigger control, safety, proper grip, etc. My dad started me on a air rifle 25 years ago.
    Taurahe likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shooting practice is shooting practice, and all of it is good. Any firearm (or pelletgun) helps develop and/or reinforce basic fundamentals. A pellet rifle or handgun may not directly translate to a .460 Magnum, but trigger control, etc. is still the same. People who claim otherwise simply do not understand honing the shooting basics. A pellet gun won't "replace" practicing with your carry gun, but it will surely augment it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I bought this one and it's a lot of fun to shoot. The blowback design gives it a felt recoil that adds realism.

Crosman PRO77 CO2 Blowback BB Pistol*Review - Posts - ReplicaAirguns.com - Replica Air & Blank Gun Information

That's a cool air pistol. I might pick one up. They have several kinds at wal mart locally. I saw a walther, m&p, and I think a beretta over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links